• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Getting a new pair of Audio Engine HD6 Speakers

Flint

Prodigal Son
Superstar
To reinforce my belief that most often the best solution for a modern TV/Audio setup is a TV, HDMI Source (Streaming Device) and a pair of powered speakers (rather than buying a receiver), I just ordered a set of the new Audio Engine HD6 speakers in Cherry for my third TV setup.

https://audioengineusa.com/shop/wirelessspeakers/hd6-wireless-speakers/

The new rig is a new TV, an Amazon Fire TV Stick, and these speakers.

I am eager to hear them.

Very cool and YOU SUCK!

I love my Audio Engine speakers and I am guessing I am going to spend a little time with them this evening.

Wow, I'm guessing class D amps have come a long way in the last 10 years. Seems I remember them being nearly as hated as the antichrist.

3rd system?? MattB must really be rubbing off on you! Eagerly awaiting news and specs on 4th, 5th & 6th systems! :tonguewink:

It would be really cool if they could do a wireless 5.1 setup with the brains in the center channel, similar to what Sonos did with their Play system, but with better sound.

Wow, I'm guessing class D amps have come a long way in the last 10 years. Seems I remember them being nearly as hated as the antichrist.
Yes they have, and are good enough for 99% of listeners now. Specific needs like mine will never be able to use them except for maybe my subwoofer amp.

Yes.................you suck on the new speakers and the 3rd set-up.........

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Well, technically, I have way more than three setups - but only three TVs are in the house. I also have my main office PC with some amazing sounding SVS small bookshelf speakers, my small front room desk with the Mackie monitors, and a pair of the Audio Engine A5+ speakers in my bedroom for those romantic weekends. I imagine I will also put something up in my music practice room once I organize that mess.

Yes they have, and are good enough for 99% of listeners now. Specific needs like mine will never be able to use them except for maybe my subwoofer amp.
That's crazy. What should the buyer look for in a high quality Class D amp? Or are they all just that good now (With exception to cheap products found in a dollar type store)?

That's crazy. What should the buyer look for in a high quality Class D amp? Or are they all just that good now (With exception to cheap products found in a dollar type store)?

Given that damn near every HT receiver relies on Class-D amps in order to cram 9, or 13, ATMOS channels, each delivering over 75 Watts, into a metal box no bigger than an old 5 channel receiver, they certainly must be pretty good now.

There are high end amps out there costing thousands of dollars which use class-D tech, as well as tons of studio monitors as well as other self-powered speakers of good reputation using them. The pro-audio and commercial audio world has heavily embraces them, more for their weight to output ratio in most cases (and in others, simply for their cost to output ratio).

I no longer shun Class-D amps, but I am careful about what I use - and I still won't put a Class-D amp in my primary reference system since I can still get great Class-AB amps at prices I can afford.

So the company wo is fulfilling my Audio Engine speaker order called me today to let me know they may have accidentally sent me a pair of the unpowered (passive) HD6 speakers. While I appreciated the heads up, I was not impressed with their solution. Their recommendation is to receive the speakers, make sure they are the wrong models, then arrange a return. Once the return packaged are accepted and being tracked by FedEx, they will then ship me the speakers I ordered.

That means I have to wait through an entire shipping cycle before getting my speakers, which is a HUGE disappointment. I mentioned to the guy I was talking to that I wasn't looking forward to a week's delay in getting my speakers, and he nonchalantly said the right speakers should arrive well within the Amazon advertised delivery date of November 14th. I didn't like that attitude of "I am adhering to the strictest requirements of the legal expectation Amazon provided to you, so you have nothing to complain about." I could have argued with him, but decided to just say, "well, at least you let me know." and hung up.

That sucks. And yeah, not great customer service there...

Given that damn near every HT receiver relies on Class-D amps in order to cram 9, or 13, ATMOS channels, each delivering over 75 Watts, into a metal box no bigger than an old 5 channel receiver, they certainly must be pretty good now.

There are high end amps out there costing thousands of dollars which use class-D tech, as well as tons of studio monitors as well as other self-powered speakers of good reputation using them. The pro-audio and commercial audio world has heavily embraces them, more for their weight to output ratio in most cases (and in others, simply for their cost to output ratio).

I no longer shun Class-D amps, but I am careful about what I use - and I still won't put a Class-D amp in my primary reference system since I can still get great Class-AB amps at prices I can afford.
I had no idea they were using class D amps in well healed HT receivers these days. 10 years is like a lifetime in HT.

So Flint, Why did you choose the Audio Engine HD6? I especially want to know considering you bought them without auditioning them!!!! I'm a bit surprised. No... very surprised.

Rodkin out to my Audio Engines right now.

So Flint, Why did you choose the Audio Engine HD6? I especially want to know considering you bought them without auditioning them!!!! I'm a bit surprised. No... very surprised.

Yeah Flint, what gives? Buying them without hearing them, were you just convinced they were what you wanted and worth the money. I have not heard one single bad thing about the Audio Engine products.

Back