• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Gizmodrome!

Botch

MetaBotch Doggy Dogg Mellencamp
Superstar
Okay, this time it's my turn to get excited about a "supergroup"!

13510837_10150646731889995_5490093628216923398_n.jpg

Clockwise from the top: My favorite drummer Stu Copeland, formerly of the Police; my favorite bass player Mark King, formerly of Level 42; one of my favorite guitarists Adrian Belew, formerly of Zappa, King Crimson, the Bears and Talking Heads; and I have no idea who the fourth gentleman is (he's prolly good).

I can't imagine quite how Mark and Stu's styles will mesh, this is going to be interesting!

Yeah, I saw that on my Facebook/Twitter feed, I follow all of them. I cannot wait.

Looked it up and he appears to be Italian keyboard player, Vittorio Cosma. I'm not familiar with any of his work though.

<Bump!>

I gave up on this project, Adrian Belew's facebook page has been talking about his "trio" touring the US, and I was afraid the Gizmo project had fallen apart. Tonight, he mentioned that he was in Milan from 10 am to 4 to do two Gizmo videos, and some photo shoots, then a show tonight with his Trio.
So, the album must still be in mixing/mastering/production, and is still coming out. Best News I've heard in a month! :toast:

Last edited:
Okay, this time it's my turn to get excited about a "supergroup"!

13510837_10150646731889995_5490093628216923398_n.jpg

Clockwise from the top: My favorite drummer Stu Copeland, formerly of the Police; my favorite bass player Mark King, formerly of Level 42; one of my favorite guitarists Adrian Belew, formerly of Zappa, King Crimson, the Bears and Talking Heads; and I have no idea who the fourth gentleman is (he's prolly good).

I can't imagine quite how Mark and Stu's styles will mesh, this is going to be interesting!

Not really familiar with Level 42 and Mark King, but I know they had some really cool bass lines.

Randy, may I recommend their album World Machine? One of my Top Ten Ever.

Incidentally, fusion guitar Monster Mr. Allen Hollsworth passed just a couple days ago, he filled in the guitar chair on one of Level 42's albums.

^ can you please share the remaining top 9.

PLEASE!!!
:D Keith, I read your post this morning just before leaving for work. Thought about it during the commute, then jotted some titles down when I got to work. One of my coworkers saw the list, said something, and soon we had a great 90-minute argument between about six of us (of course, I was right). I can't weed it down past 17, and I'm sure I'll think of a couple others over the next day or two.
This may deserve its own thread (and I sorta recall we all did that years ago).

This was such an unusual lineup, I wasn't sure what to expect. And this sure wasn't it!
Album's coming out mid-September. I haven't been this excited about a new band in a long, long time!

Keith, I still have a "top ten" list on my 'pooter, still haven't narrowed it down either. I'm in a class for the next two weeks, but maybe someday I'll get it posted.
In the meantime, start a thread and post yours!

it is amazing how some old rockers rock more in the 60s than they did in their 20s.

A good place to leave a small bit of Kingsmanship.

:we'renotworthy!:

Adrian left this on Farcebook today:

so....GIZMoDRoME

the working name was GIZMO until we found out about the 40 or so possible
copyright infringements.
then we added the DRoME part. I like the name, but no matter, we'll make it what it is anyway.

so who is GIZMoDRoME? it all started with Stewart Copeland and Vittorio Cosma. they had been playing in Italy on and off for 10 years. you probably know who Stewart is (drummer for a little band called the Police), suffice to say in italy Vittorio enjoys the same well-earned position as THE go-to keyboard player. I'll let Stewart tell the next bit:

"one day Mr. Claudio Dentes, the illustrious Italian entrepreneur, producer and bon vivant called with a proposal to make a record. by this time we (Stewart and Vittorio) actually had a bag of songs so heck, why not?

Vittorio said 'let’s call Adrian!'
and I said 'no shit, and let’s call Mark!'
twenty minutes later the four of us were heading for Milan."

Mark was, of course, Mark King, the
british bassist and singer for Level 42 (who had something like 14 hit singles in Europe by the way). he and I immediately bonded.

I think Mark was as surprised as I was on our first day in Milan. we were set up in a large recording room in a famous old italian studio. four musicians playing together in a big room. the sound was perfect. each of us could see each other well and we each had a talkback microphone. we would quickly learn the form of a song and then begin embellishing it.

the first thing I noticed was how comfortably I fit into the music. reminded me of my Talking Heads days: everything I played worked perfectly and was very "belewish".
the second thing I noticed was how comical all of us could be. a veritable marx brothers. the control room was always filled with laughter.

every day at 5:00 we paused for a Stewart tradition: a toast with a shot of tequila and a coca cola chaser. next door there was an italian cafe which kept us happy with drinks and tasty italian dishes they would send over. in short it quickly became the perfect creative setting: warm, fuzzy and fun, but with a palpable edge.

at the end of each long but fruitful day there would inevitably be some amazing italian restaurant where we could celebrate our daily accomplishments in good cheer.

so....in ten days time we became a band and recorded the first GIZMoDRoME record (which comes out in september). next week Stewart and I do a promotional blitz of europe. more on that next time.

- Adrian Belew

Adrian's latest Facebook post:

so....GIZMoDRoME

the working name was GIZMO until we found out about the 40 or so possible
copyright infringements.
then we added the DRoME part. I like the name, but no matter, we'll make it what it is anyway.

so who is GIZMoDRoME? it all started with Stewart Copeland and Vittorio Cosma. they had been playing in Italy on and off for 10 years. you probably know who Stewart is (drummer for a little band called the Police), suffice to say in italy Vittorio enjoys the same well-earned position as THE go-to keyboard player. I'll let Stewart tell the next bit:

"one day Mr. Claudio Dentes, the illustrious Italian entrepreneur, producer and bon vivant called with a proposal to make a record. by this time we (Stewart and Vittorio) actually had a bag of songs so heck, why not?

Vittorio said 'let’s call Adrian!'
and I said 'no shit, and let’s call Mark!'
twenty minutes later the four of us were heading for Milan."

Mark was, of course, Mark King, the
british bassist and singer for Level 42 (who had something like 14 hit singles in Europe by the way). he and I immediately bonded.

I think Mark was as surprised as I was on our first day in Milan. we were set up in a large recording room in a famous old italian studio. four musicians playing together in a big room. the sound was perfect. each of us could see each other well and we each had a talkback microphone. we would quickly learn the form of a song and then begin embellishing it.

the first thing I noticed was how comfortably I fit into the music. reminded me of my Talking Heads days: everything I played worked perfectly and was very "belewish".
the second thing I noticed was how comical all of us could be. a veritable marx brothers. the control room was always filled with laughter.

every day at 5:00 we paused for a Stewart tradition: a toast with a shot of tequila and a coca cola chaser. next door there was an italian cafe which kept us happy with drinks and tasty italian dishes they would send over. in short it quickly became the perfect creative setting: warm, fuzzy and fun, but with a palpable edge.

at the end of each long but fruitful day there would inevitably be some amazing italian restaurant where we could celebrate our daily accomplishments in good cheer.

so....in ten days time we became a band and recorded the first GIZMoDRoME record (which comes out in september). next week Stewart and I do a promotional blitz of europe. more on that next time.​

Just got an Email from Amazon alerting me that the release date of the album has been moved up a week to September 15th. YAY!!!

We should change the title of this thread to the proper name of the band - Gizmodrome

The old name turned out to be in use by someone else.

Back