• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Greta Van Fleet

AndySTL

Anyone else hooked on these youngsters who sound like a bit of a throwback Zeppelin?

I can't get the song Talk on the Streets out of my head. Here's a couple of samples.

Yeah, I saw them here in Austin a month, or so, ago and they were at least enjoyable to listen to. They are young and immature and have a long way to go before I'd put them in the category of the next great rock band, but they have some really good ideas. If they can work out their arrangements and add a little transition color to the songwriting (all this comes from professional experience, I think), they could go far.

That said, right now they remind me of a pretty darn good garage band with potential for greatness. The definitely need a better drummer, or their drummer needs to study and work more.

They come Frankenmuth Michigan, which is a town about an hour away from me. I don't hate their music, just don't know if I could really get into it. They do seem to have a very strong following though.

FYI, if anybody ever gets to Michigan, a trip to Frankenmuth is highly recommended. It's a farming community with strong Bavarian roots, but they also have some great shops, Bronners in particular, as well as two great places to eat, although I think they are now owned by the same family, Bavarian Inn and Zhenders. Best chicken dinner you will ever have, and there usually is a long line to get in. Bronners is this huge Christmas store, and they've been known to advertise across the US, so you may have seen their signs. Sorry for the derail.

Yeah they seem a bit raw when you see the various live videos on youtube. But I like their sound, it's a nice departure from other new music groups. Hopefully they can mature as musicians and stay together for a while. I imagine that falsetto is tough to maintain on a nightly basis for the singer.

My biggest complaint is the obvious "borrowing" from Led Zeppelin. Sometimes it is so obvious I find it disrespectful.

My biggest complaint is the obvious "borrowing" from Led Zeppelin. Sometimes it is so obvious I find it disrespectful.

So the old saying about imitation being the most sincere form of flattery is lost on this one?

Heard them on the radio today for the first time and thought "Are these guys a Led Zep cover band?" Didn't hate them but it did make me think "These guys will FOREVER be compared to Zeppelin, good luck with that!!"

So the old saying about imitation being the most sincere form of flattery is lost on this one?

There is a fine line between mirroring and borrowing. All bands are standing on the shoulders of the giants that came before them, but that doesn't mean someone copying the greats almost note for note makes them truly enjoyable.

There was a great band made up of some of my heros in power-pop who formed a band specifically to write and record music in the genre of ELO, and they did it quite well. The songs are great and you can recognize the influence, but it isn't ripping off directly. That band was L.E.O.

Another example was Eddie and the Cruisers, the fictional band which was accused of being an unauthorized biography of Bruce Springsteen and the E. Street Band.

There are fine lines.

But anyone can love it all they want. There's nothing wrong with that.

Marketing and hype will help make these guys big, but will/can they sustain it?

There is a fine line between mirroring and borrowing. All bands are standing on the shoulders of the giants that came before them, but that doesn't mean someone copying the greats almost note for note makes them truly enjoyable.

There was a great band made up of some of my heros in power-pop who formed a band specifically to write and record music in the genre of ELO, and they did it quite well. The songs are great and you can recognize the influence, but it isn't ripping off directly. That band was L.E.O.

Another example was Eddie and the Cruisers, the fictional band which was accused of being an unauthorized biography of Bruce Springsteen and the E. Street Band.

There are fine lines.

But anyone can love it all they want. There's nothing wrong with that.
I absolutely loved The Rutles!

Promotion of them will be and is way more important than their talent. 10 years is a very long time. Let’s see where they are in 2024.

If the world needed a band like this, the best musicians, writers and producers could easily do it way better the same way most of the boy bands or corporate bands (Menudo) do it every day for teen-pop artists.

If the world needed a band like this, the best musicians, writers and producers could easily do it way better the same way most of the boy bands or corporate bands (Menudo) do it every day for teen-pop artists.

So then why promote these guys? Someone sees something??

So then why promote these guys? Someone sees something??

Money.... I mean, why did Disney create Justin Timberlake, Britney Spears, and Christina Aguilera? Why did Menudo own the Latin music pop scene for 15 years?

Like Wilson says, they are getting attention because of the expensive and extensive promotion from the industry which benefits from their success. They haven't earned their respect yet, and from what I've seen the only member of the band showing signs of getting better from all the performances is the guitar player. The rest seem to be stuck in the rut and are enjoying the benefits of their fame.

I put Greta Van Fleet in the same category as Hanson, The Jonas Brothers, and One Direction. They may eventually get their acts together as a band or as solo artists, but right now they are gliding on being a shitty imitation of Led Zeppelin and only copying the shiny sweet icing on the outside of a good cake. Kinda like when Broadway tries to do rock and roll. Put the bangles on the singer and strike a pose while you copy every memorable lick from another more talented, inventive and successful band. If I were Jimmy Page I'd have a team of lawyers watching every single move they make while building a case for a future lawsuit.

I like what they are doing because its bringing some kids back to rock music. That's a good thing. As for me I'll stick with the real thing, its light years better, Zeplin.

Back