• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Hand me down father/son college system...

Hot Monkey

Very happy that my son (college senior) is really enjoying music and HIFI these days. Recently moved him into off campus apartment and set him up with some of my old gear so he can enjoy streaming music and his growing vinyl collection (mostly vintage jazz and classical piano he is a piano player). Dug my old JVC direct drive turntable out of attic storage (still works), paired it with a small Rotel integrated amp I had laying around, a pair of maple wood finish B&W CM2 6.5" bookshelf speakers on stands that his uncle gifted to him, nice matching B&W stands that bolt to the bottom of the speakers, Sonos Connect streaming audio player, Salamander Archetype 5-shelf rack in cherry wood, old but still working Tice Solo power brick and some generic Amazon speaker cables. It's a nice little system and didn't really cost anything to throw it together just the Amazon cables was all we bought new for like $29. This system sits in his bedroom/desk area.

He also has his old dorm room system in the living room space of his apartment. Simple 2.1 system with a Sonos Amp, flat looking Paradigm Millenia subwoofer and a pair of small Episode 5.25" 2-way bookshelf speakers on little angled tabletop stands kind of like the AudioEngine stands.

Love that my boy is into music and HIFI and even the simplest conversations about how all this stuff works, hooking it up and enjoying it makes me very happy knowing he shares an interest in this hobby. It's been a challenging year getting the house ready for sale, lots of changes for both of us. But sharing this stuff with him has been a joy. Feels like a parenting win.

Pic he sent me... anti static mat on the turntable is a little wrinkled from sitting in a box for a couple decades but it will flatten out with some use. Added the Sonos Connect after this pic sits on the Rotel RA-01. Very simple but nice sounding system. Just happy this stuff is getting used again.

59519.jpeg

Edit: Forget the Salamander cherry rack and Tice power brick ended up at my girlfriend's apartment with my old Dynaco amp and preamp, another Sonos Connect and a pair of B&W 685's on old Sanus stands. I have the matching Dynaco CD player with tube stage but it's being repaired at the moment... sticky drawer mechanism. Happy to be spreading my unused HIFI around so it's gets proper use plus I get to hear it when I'm over there.

IMG_20220626_204616145.jpg

Back