• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Help! Need Remote Control Code for Optoma Projector / Onkyo Remote

D

Deleted member 133

My Optoma projector's remote control just went dead. New batteries no good. Not a big deal, thinks I: while waiting for a replacement to arrive I'll just program the learning remote (RC-690M) that came with my Onkyo PR-SC886 Pre/Pro. All I need it for (for now) is on/off.

So I pull out my Onkyo file and the Remote Control Code list that came with the owner's manual and look up Optoma and find ... nothing!

I go online and find ... nothing. I'm still Google searching but thought I'd ping you folks.

Does anyone know the code for Optoma that will work with that Onkyo remote?

Anyone got newer Onkyo gear / Optoma combo? (I pulled up the manual for the current PR-SC5508, but like the manual for my 886, it references a separate Remote Control Code list that comes as a separate document, not in the manual. I can't find that online.)

Thanks.

Jeff

Just finished cleaning the Optoma remote's contacts thoroughly with 600 sandpaper and alcohol, installed another new set of batteries and ... it now works.

Jeff

ps. I also found out that Optoma's codes are 1112, 1344, and 4414 - but none of those worked with the Onkyo's "programmable" remote.

Have you considered a Harmony?
Yes. Many times. Never saw the necessity.

This is my first remote control issue (now solved) since I've had my main HT in place. It did make me realize that my projector is the only component that absolutely requires a remote to work at all (no other way to turn the darn thing on - or off safely.) So between the time the problem arose, and the thorough cleaning and battery change cure, I ordered an identical spare for $11. I'll store that one in a safe place should its use ever be needed.

Much cheaper than a Harmony!

Jeff

I love remotes that can fire off macros to power or switch multiple things at once or in sequence and I really love being able to fire off a macro with a voice command as I walk into the room.

I love remotes that can fire off macros to power or switch multiple things at once or in sequence and I really love being able to fire off a macro with a voice command as I walk into the room.
And the Onkyo's is supposed to be able to do that as well - but in any case the Optoma codes that I found don't work in it, or the other programmable remote that I own.

Jeff

ps. No remote, no matter how sophisticated, could ever hope to fire up my main HT from shutdown. A step or three requires me to do something not remote-controllable. However once up and running, macros could come into play - which is something I played around with when I first bought and set up the Onkyo. But other than doing it for the sake of being able to do it, by and large once everything is fired up I pretty much only need to have the remote for the source device within reach. I almost always use the main HT with a very specific activity in mind, like watching a specific PVR'd show, or Blu-ray movies, or... whatever. I never just sit there and surf through devices / sources and channels until I find something. I use the much simpler family room HT for that. I guess maybe it goes back to having burned through my PJ's lamp hours in very short order when I first got it. Now I'm more cautious with bulb time.

And the Onkyo's is supposed to be able to do that as well - but in any case the Optoma codes that I found don't work in it, or the other programmable remote that I own.

Jeff

ps. No remote, no matter how sophisticated, could ever hope to fire up my main HT from shutdown. A step or three requires me to do something not remote-controllable. However once up and running, macros could come into play - which is something I played around with when I first bought and set up the Onkyo. But other than doing it for the sake of being able to do it, by and large once everything is fired up I pretty much only need to have the remote for the source device within reach. I almost always use the main HT with a very specific activity in mind, like watching a specific PVR'd show, or Blu-ray movies, or... whatever. I never just sit there and surf through devices / sources and channels until I find something. I use the much simpler family room HT for that. I guess maybe it goes back to having burned through my PJ's lamp hours in very short order when I first got it. Now I'm more cautious with bulb time.
Oh, I'll take that challenge head on. URC for example has devices that can open/close contacts that can be used to enable powered circuits etc. Crestron goes well beyond that so, careful about broad statements like that. (If you have devices that aren't remote controllable we could use actuators and such to press the buttons, so that can be done, too.)

Also, don't forget that just because a function isn't on the factory remote doesn't mean there's not a discrete code for it. Typical examples of this include direct input functions and discrete on/off commands all of which are a necessity for real remote programming.

Back