• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Helping My Boss with HT - Advice, suggestions, welcome

mzpro5

Famous
Got a call from my boss yesterday asking if I could help her and her husband pick out a new TV. I talked with her husband and what he really wants is a whole HT, display, surround sound, BD player and streaming capability.

So I am going over there tomorrow afternoon to sit down and talk to them about the specifics and get a detailed look at the living room where they want to set it up. I have been to their home before and the LR has alot of light so plasma is out. I suggested LCD but he is has been doing some reading on his own and wants to try LED (I know just a different version of LCD). They currently have no TV in the LR. These people are in their mid 60's recently retired and I think the husband wants to let go and have some fun with an HT.

Finally I may have a blown an opportunity for a bit of extra cash. She said something about paying me and I said no - I really like doing this stuff and it is fun for me. A couple other reasons is I'm like most of us here at AA I've set up my own and several friends systems but hardly a pro. - I am confident in my abilities but can't give any guarantees or anything like that.

The other reason I declined payment is she is my boss - never hurts to build up good will.

So after I check it out, see what they really want, the room and budget, I probably will be asking you guys for some help/suggestions.

Re: Helping My Boss

I have an LED in my brightly-lit living room, am happy with it.
I would highly recommend looking at the surface of the screen itself. My LG is a matte finish, which really kills reflections from lamps, windows, etc. Many LED/LCD tv's have a completely gloss finish, which I believe gives you "blacker blacks" but really is distracting with light reflections.

Do they watch a lot of daytime TV when it's bright in the room, which direction do the windows face (West - afternoon sun?), etc.

Furniture arrangement to stay as is, or can it be rearranged to maximize the sound & minimize light/glare issues from the windows. Do the windows have shades or curtains to cut some of the light?

Options for concealing wiring - attic/ crawl space

How many seating positions need to face the TV - do they have kids?

Plans for new furniture? - TV stand or wall mount? Something to hold equipment?

Would they prefer the look of stand-mounted speakers or floor standing?

Budget?

Ceiling fan available for speaker mount ala Maximo? :happy-smileygiantred:

Sounds like a fun project!

Orbison said:
Do they watch a lot of daytime TV when it's bright in the room, which direction do the windows face (West - afternoon sun?), etc.

Furniture arrangement to stay as is, or can it be rearranged to maximize the sound & minimize light/glare issues from the windows. Do the windows have shades or curtains to cut some of the light?

Options for concealing wiring - attic/ crawl space

How many seating positions need to face the TV - do they have kids?

Plans for new furniture? - TV stand or wall mount? Something to hold equipment?

Would they prefer the look of stand-mounted speakers or floor standing?

Budget?

Ceiling fan available for speaker mount ala Maximo? :happy-smileygiantred:

Sounds like a fun project!

Those are all things I plan on going over with them but thanks for a nice concise list.

Only thing from the above list I know for sure is no kids at home, they are all grown and only one grandchild that lives in VA.

After you get a budget find out if there's anything B or I can assist with we have access to the whole gambit and can help you save a ton on speakers especially. And I'm also blowing out a bunch of my personal demo stuff. Perhaps it would fit the bill, maybe/maybe not...

Re: Helping My Boss - Advice, suggestions, opinions welcome

Well met with my boss and her husband (Bill) at their home to get an idea what they would like. comes down to:

Display (LCD or LED) 46 to 55 inches
5.1 receiver
disc player
5.1 speaker set up

Budget: $3,000

Here are a couple pics I took (lightening was not the best)

IMG_0048.jpg

This is where bill wants the display. He wants the TV mounted at the large frame divider on the window. It is very solid but I have my doubts if it would work. there are built in cabinets to the side and a sufficient space to put the receiver, disc player and cable box. (there is currently no TV in this room)

IMG_0051.jpg

This is the rear of the room where the surrounds would go.

I figure the price breakdown this way.

Display - $1400
Receiver -$300
Disc Player - $250
Speakers - $1000

And though most of us discount HTIB it may be a real solution for these people who lack knowledge about sophisticated systems. something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S520...ref=sr_1_1?s=tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1321454718&sr=1-1

Just beginning so any thoughts (particularly the display location) are much appreciated.

Is their priority mainly video/movies or music? That might suggest a change in how the budget is allocated.

$250 for a disc player seems a bit high - might want to shift some of that to speakers.

Depending upon the TV size, $1400 may be a bit high. How far away from the TV will the seating be?

With holiday sales coming up, this will hopefully be a good time to go shopping. Is the plan to buy everything locally? You might get an additionally discount on a package deal. On the other hand, internet shopping will probably save a few $.

My $0.02, but you probably already thought of all this, MZ.

Yeah, if they just need a standard BD/DVD/CD player, you can easily get a perfectly good one for <$100 (e.g. sony).

Speakers would depend somewhat on where they plan to put them, how they'll be mounted, etc. I imagine 7.1 is overkill... 5.1 would probably be sufficient, esp. with a smaller room with limited speaker positioning options, plus fewer wires to run.

Budget redux:

Display $1000
Receiver $350 (onkyo 608/609)
BD player $100-$150
Rest on speakers. (@$1500)

PaulyT said:
Yeah, if they just need a standard BD/DVD/CD player, you can easily get a perfectly good one for <$100 (e.g. sony).

Speakers would depend somewhat on where they plan to put them, how they'll be mounted, etc. I imagine 7.1 is overkill... 5.1 would probably be sufficient, esp. with a smaller room with limited speaker positioning options, plus fewer wires to run.

Everything out there now seems to be 7.1 regarding receivers.

I would only reccomendation a 5.1 speaker set up.

They are primarily wanting it for TV/movies and some music. According to them they are not "serious" music listeners. Streaming is also a must.

I'm still really concerned about mounting it where he wants in front of those windows.

Did some initial hunting and here is what I have so far.

Samsung UN46D6300 46-Inch 1080p 120Hz LED HDTV - $1100

Onkyo TX-NR609 7.2 Channel Network THX Certified A/V Receiver - $380

Samsung BD-D6700 3D Blu-ray Disc Player - $190

Which leaves about $1300 for speakers (5.1) which I'm not sure of in this price range

Not wedded to Amazon by any means was just doing some initial searching while working.

Thoughts?

As far as speakers go, how much room will there be? i.e. are you thinking floor standing for front, bookshelf/wall mount for surrounds, big/small sub, etc.

Some space could be saved (by sacrificing some low end maybe) if you skipped the sub and went with larger floor standing fronts - just an idea.

As far as where to mount the TV, you indicated you felt that the window divider was solid, so what are your concerns about that mounting location? The physical mounting?

In the picture showing the rear of the room are those existing speakers on either side of the window? If so, could they be used again in the same location for surrounds, thus increasing the budget for the front/center speakers & sub?

BUMP

Hey guys can someone throw me a bone here?

th2_Lamb_Shank_-_72_ppi.jpg

:happy-smileygiantred:

Rope

Rope said:

Rope
I find this humerus! :happy-smileygiantred: :happy-smileygiantred: :happy-smileygiantred:

Botch said:
Rope said:

Rope
I find this humerus! :happy-smileygiantred: :happy-smileygiantred: :happy-smileygiantred:
Make no bones about it! :happy-smileygiantred: :happy-smileygiantred: :happy-smileygiantred: :happy-smileygiantred:

Here ya go:

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 1,433

For $1100 you could do an svs simple 5.0 bookshelf system. And $200 left over to put towards a sub. Tell the guy to bump up his budget by a couple hundred bucks and you could get him into a 5.1 system from svs.

Maximo said:
For $1100 you could do an svs simple 5.0 bookshelf system. And $200 left over to put towards a sub. Tell the guy to bump up his budget by a couple hundred bucks and you could get him into a 5.1 system from svs.

Thanks I'll check into that.

:text-feedback:

For the price listed here, these speakers kick serious butt. I'd give these a hard look. I have a pair in my office and I love them. These must be leftover stock, because they are not in the current lineup (and I assume the reason for the lower price). They made the Rti-x line for 5 years and they have updated them to the RTiA-x line. I haven't heard the newer ones but they look to have the same or similar drivers in an updated cabinet.

Polk RTi-4
http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Performance-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B0000E2XEB

This is the comparable newer model RTi A1
http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Bookshelf-Speakers-Cherry/dp/B000V2UBSI/ref=pd_cp_e_1

Back