• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

HiFiMan at CES 2017

Flint

Prodigal Son
Superstar
While at CES, I sat down at the HiFi Man booth and auditioned all the headphones, amps and portable players they had to offer. I spent a good 60 minutes demoing their products and here are my impressions.

Overall - Eh... nothing special.

The Magnetic Planar Diaphragm Edition X V2 ($1,299) was the highest end model I could audition for the over the ear models, and I was really disappointed. The sound was relatively clear, open, and typical of open back headphones. They didn't suck, don't get me wrong, they just had a certain harshness to their midrange I have long associated with the transducer technology they employed. The overall balance leaned toward bright and harsh versus smooth and clean. The bass had a very slight boost, to my ears at least, in the 100Hz to 40Hz range, which is disappointing to me (but common in many modern designs). While these are not bad headphones, by any stretch of the imagination, to me they are not worth the price. I would be happy to spend as much as $300 for them, but over $1,000 is simply illogical to me.

The RE1000 IEM earphones were also nice, but again, they didn't provide the performance the price would suggest. I don't get it.

The music players were very well designed and easy to operate. I recommend them highly if you want a standalone player.

Thanks for the review Flint, so did you see the 50k electrostatic/tube amp model I posted about? So can you steer me towards some of the smooth and clean sounding headphones you like, regardless of price? I Still really like the Shure IEM's you recommended to me.

Any chance to hear Focal's Utopia at 4k or Elear at 1k, have read a lot of good things about them?

Last edited:
I didn't see the Focal stuff.

I think the issue is that you can get virtually perfect performance for $500 from Sennheiser, AKG, Beyer Dynamic, Shure, Westone, Sony, Audio Technica and others, so these ultra high end headphones are just overkill.

What are you paying for if not ideal sound? Brand, status, styling, expensive parts?

I'm curious how the woodback Klipsch headphones sound, though that's mainly due to being a big Klipsch's Heritage line.

Last edited:
Back