• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Home Made Grills for Totem Sttaf Speakers

• Thread starter Deleted member 133
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 133

As detailed in another thread, I recently acquired a used pair of Totem Sttaf speakers.

Having seen many similar speakers in showrooms with punched in driver domes, and having a home that sometimes sees rambunctious youngsters about, I figured better to "invest" in some grills, that to pay for new drivers.

I could have ordered Totem-original grills through my local dealer, but they would be pricy and, after having handled a pair meant for the very slightly larger Totem Hawk, I wasn't particularly impressed with their design.

So on Flint's advice I set out to built a set myself, using quarter round wood.

Other than some shop supplies (like a glue gun) and some Velcro patches, the only thing I needed to buy was $15C worth of fabric. Since it comes off a wide roll, I only needed a foot of it - and only needed to use maybe 40% of what I bought.

Here's an abbreviated summary, in pictures (and few words) of the project.

1. Quarter round cut and glued together into frames. Wood was already primed.

P1020041 (Medium).JPG

P1020039 (Medium).JPG

2. Frames sanded, filled, and painted flat black.

P1030004 (Medium).JPG

P1030005 (Medium).JPG

next...

3. Speaker cloth glued to frames to make speaker grills.

P1030006 (Medium).JPG

P1030008 (Medium).JPG

next...

4. I attached extra-sticky backed ("permanent') female Velcro dots to the grills. Regular industrial strength Velcro male Velcro dots attach to the speaker cabinet. Here's both grills in place.

P1030010 (Medium).JPG

P1030013 (Medium).JPG

P1030015 (Medium).JPG

5. Sit on loveseat and enjoy!

P1030020 (Medium).JPG

Nice work. I’ll be stealing this design to make some covers for the entertainment center I’m building.

Thanks guys.

Again, credit where credit is due: I went this route because of Flint's advice.

In addition, together Gen and I noodled the best way to handle gluing (folding/cutting) the fabric to the frames, and I incorporated some of her ideas into my own bullheaded ones! Most importantly, she's now invested in these living room speakers! :)

Jeff

Back