• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Home Renovation

Batman

Staff member
Famous
Since it's so slow around the forum I may as well post something about all the work going on around our home. So.......right after (or right before maybe, it's all a blur) last year's GTG, Joanna arranged for the guy who does all my drywall work to repair every bit of settlement thru-out the house. Including walls, ceilings, corner beads, old anchor holes, etc...pretty much at least one wall and the ceilings in every room needed some sort of repair. Guess what comes next. Yup, paint. Since pretty much every surface in every living area required paint, I decided why not just update the trim color too (somewhat spurred on by the color scheme at CMonster's home). We like color, albeit neutrals for the most part, we don't want white everywhere. So when we first moved in 10 years ago, we hired painters to do all the two-story walls that dominate most of the center of our house front to back. This included the foyer and family room and a lot of common walls in the upper and lower hall ways which includes balconies overlooking the foyer and family room. This father/son duo charged us around $2k to paint all of these walls including materials (we thought this was reasonable given past jobs/results they've done for us). They were literally doing this during part of our move-in over the course of two weeks. Well fast forward to today, I could only imagine what the charge would be to redo those areas plus the rest of our ~3400-3600 sq ft home. Plus ceilings and trim. I decided I wasn't even going to get estimates. I'd just knock it out one room at a time over however long a period it took. The upstairs is mostly done and the family room, foyer, upper and lower halls, rear sunroom have been completed. Now I'm working on trim downstairs so we can have our new hardwood installed. I'm taping and spraying the trim and I don't want to be doing that on top of new floor. Another room or two may get completed before the floor but if a have to roll a few walls after the floor install I can live with that, but not spraying. Any way here are some pics...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    683.7 KB · Views: 121
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    444.6 KB · Views: 121
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    572.8 KB · Views: 121
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    504.8 KB · Views: 121
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    398.4 KB · Views: 122
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    581.7 KB · Views: 122
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    570.7 KB · Views: 122
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    614.8 KB · Views: 121
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    484.9 KB · Views: 121
More pics

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    475.7 KB · Views: 118
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    443.7 KB · Views: 118
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    453.3 KB · Views: 118
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    456.7 KB · Views: 118
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    350.9 KB · Views: 118
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    357.3 KB · Views: 118
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    499.1 KB · Views: 118
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    408.6 KB · Views: 118
More pics

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    475.3 KB · Views: 116
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    523.3 KB · Views: 116
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    522.7 KB · Views: 116
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    381.4 KB · Views: 116
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    464.6 KB · Views: 116
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    398.3 KB · Views: 116
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    405.6 KB · Views: 116
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    521.2 KB · Views: 116
We also decided to get rid of these columns that were all throughout the first floor....after that we ripped out existing hardwood and carpet.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    407 KB · Views: 118
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    494.9 KB · Views: 118
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    459.9 KB · Views: 118
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    672.8 KB · Views: 118
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    577.1 KB · Views: 118
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    511.3 KB · Views: 118
Our current state

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    641.3 KB · Views: 116
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    553 KB · Views: 116
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    553 KB · Views: 115
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    707.5 KB · Views: 115
Hardwood sample

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    720 KB · Views: 113
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    629.2 KB · Views: 113
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    574.4 KB · Views: 56
I still have several doors to spray paint. I also decided all the passageways that don't have a door, like the dining room to kitchen opening I would like to case in, as well as the openings in the walls (fam room to sunroom, sunroom to kitchen, etc). Our wine cooler took a dump so we ordered a new one, and the cabinet will require some tweaking to keep the built in appearance. The pool table will go in what was once the living room. The adjoining sunroom which was the kids playroom will have a pub table and stools, chess/checkers/backgammon table and chairs and a dart board. The kids toys (what's left of them) will be allocated to the basement and under the air hockey table when they are "put away". The pool room will also get a TV. We are putting new recessed lighting and a ceiling fan in the pool room.

All of this is why I've been absent often.

Joanna also purchased these really cool gates to hang in the stairwell.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    541 KB · Views: 110
Nice work, you are really going to town! Kudos to you for having the determination to take this on yourself. My enthusiasm for home projects comes in small doses.

I really hope to make it to a GTG at your house in the next couple of years now that we are done having kids.

Holy crap that's a lot of work! Gives me a panic attack just thinking about it.

Batman said:
We also decided to get rid of these columns that were all throughout the first floor....after that we ripped out existing hardwood and carpet.

file.php

:scared-yipes: :scared-yipes: :scared-yipes: My cupholders!!!! :angry-tappingfoot: :angry-cussingblack: :angry-banghead: :cry: :cry: :shock: :| :eek: :doh:

Yeah sorry Botch, here's what's left of that one.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    561.7 KB · Views: 93
Nice Job Chris............

Big Project is quite the understatement!!

:music-rockout: :music-rockout: :music-rockout: :music-rockout:

^Take solace in the fact that the joke is on him. He's spending all this time, effort and money BEFORE we all converge and trash it. If he was smart, he would've done all this AFTER we've gone and he and his family could've enjoyed the fresh, pristine environment for several months.

Botch said:
Batman said:

file.php

:scared-yipes: :scared-yipes: :scared-yipes: My cupholders!!!! :angry-tappingfoot: :angry-cussingblack: :angry-banghead: :cry: :cry: :shock: :| :eek: :doh:
Precisely what I was thinking Botch!

:)

Jeff

ps. Incredible job Bats!

Looks good Bats. Couple of questions:
1) what color is the ceiling? When we painted the ceiling in the audio room, I really liked it. Though, it's dark brown and wouldn't work through the rest of the house.
2) what brand of paint are you using.
3) where did you get the scaffolding?
4)why spray the doors?
5) what type of paint-eggshell, satin?

I just realized I've never posted photos of our audio / theater room. I may have to remedy that.

Oh, what type of flooring is that? We need to replace our flooring but have a 50 lb dog and 10 year old....wood floors would be trashed in a year.

Back