• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

How to Save $83,000

D

Deleted member 133

Believe it or not, before I started ribbing Heeman about drop-shipping a pair of Dynaudio C2s to my door (just because), I did a little research into the Dynaudio line.

Now I've listened to three pairs of Contour S5.4s previously: at my friend Claude's place in Montreal; at Razz'; and, of course, at Bats'.

If memory serves me right, we also got to throw a pair of C1s into the listening mix at Flint's place a number of years ago.

All this to say that I've heard that Dynaudio sound - and I love it!

But what else do they offer?

Well my eye caught sight of their top-of-the-line Evidence Platinum speakers. These are big heavy floor standers with multiple drivers. My kinda speakers!

So I started reading reviews and checking out their specs. On the review side it was easy to imagine how they sounded: probably as great as the other Dynaudios I'd heard - only greater. And for $85k a pair they should be great / greater!

Spec-wise (versus listening-wise) there was a familiarity here: the frequency response I'd seen before; the multiple driver complement / array ditto; the efficiency rating seemed a little low but in the range; and the overall dimensions. Yup, they match up really well against ... a pair of stacked Koss CM/1030s!

(You just had to know I was going here!)

Look, I'm not claiming that there's an equivalence here: merely a similarity. And if, like me, you can't afford to drop $85k on a pair of speakers, you might, like me, be able to afford two pairs of stacked Koss CM/1030s, fully-refurbished, for $2k (or less.)

With that left over $83k you might, I don't know, pick up an M4 (or so). :)

Would I love to listen to the Dynaudios? Yup. Almost as much as I'd love to test drive an M4.

Is there a point to this?

Not really. (Well maybe under the topic "Everything in Perspective.") But I felt like posting it.

Jeff

Attachments

• Dynaudio Evidence Platinum.png
    Dynaudio Evidence Platinum.png
    110.4 KB · Views: 141
Your logic and rationale are impeccable. That's precisely why I cheaped out and went with the lowly Contour 3.4LE last year. :shifty:

Zing said:
Your logic and rationale are impeccable. That's precisely why I cheaped out and went with the lowly Contour 3.4LE last year. :shifty:

....and then bought the M4 with the left over money!

Back