• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

I Am Not Going To Post About Rockport Avior

I have got to hear about the treble from that speaker. I have been fascinated by the beryllium dome tweeters which have recently been hitting the market as they are the only stiff metal dome tweeters which appear to offer everything stiff domes were supposed to offer, at least in theory.

The way that I would describe the sound of these is the word "Brilliant Sounding" and "Open and Airy" . I did not listen for very long and they were in a fairly large treated room with a 14' ceiling.

The way that I would describe the sound of these is the word "Brilliant Sounding" and "Open and Airy"

I have found that there is a trend with current speakers to have an excessive high end response, sometimes reaching as much as 10dB above 10kHz, with substantial boost starting at around 5kHz. Looking at the response graphs in reviews of many of these speakers plainly shows this. The Klipsch speakers seem to me to be a particular offender in this respect, with my reaction being "turn that damn tweeter down", especially with recordings which already have an aggressive high end.

In fact, I'd go so far as to say that speakers with a rising high end are almost the rule, and speakers with a flat or gently receding high end the exception. How it got to this state of being is troubling. Maybe people just expect this type of sound now.

I think people are obsesses with the new listening experience where they hear details they never heard before. The most easy way to "add detail" is to boost the treble and add a little cut at 3kHz. I think it started around 1995 and got worse and worse until we are where we are today.

In fact, I was demonstrating how perfect the phase of my tweeter/woofer design and crossover was by reversing the polarity of the tweeter and showing the deep notch at 2.5kHz, and the person I was showing it to asked to hear some music with the tweeter wired like that and I obliged - he preferred that sound as it seems to have "more detail" to him.

I think people are obsesses with the new listening experience where they hear details they never heard before. The most easy way to "add detail" is to boost the treble and add a little cut at 3kHz. I think it started around 1995 and got worse and worse until we are where we are today.
Yeah, its kind of discouraging going out to listen to speakers when my reaction to all of them is "nope, sounds like shit". My minimum standard, even with electronic based music, is that it would have the roughly same tonal balance if actual musicians were in the same room. I very rarely find a speaker which passes even this basic test.

Yeah, its kind of discouraging going out to listen to speakers when my reaction to all of them is "nope, sounds like shit". My minimum standard, even with electronic based music, is that it would have the roughly same tonal balance if actual musicians were in the same room. I very rarely find a speaker which passes even this basic test.

Damn high and mighty speaker snobs.

I bet you fuckers don't like wine in a box either!!!:suspicious:

FWIW when I met Flint in Vegas and we broke bread, he actually ordered wine with a cork.

I prefer the box and he prefers the screw top. Apparently we should have asked if they had that.

Back