• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

I don't even know where to start...

TKoP

I've been given an impossible task... a stereo speaker system for $250. This would be both receiver and speakers. I just don't even know what options are worth looking at for a ~$100-$150 pair of speakers. I even looked at the kits on Madisound and Partsexpress -- there were less than I expected/hoped and nothing that jumped out at me.

So, any thoughts?

need an avr?

i have two laying around if you need one,

one is old school, hdmi but not passthrough,

other is old school, like, optical input old school

pm me if you want it. all you need is to pick it up here in fremont.

image.jpeg image.jpegJacen just this week I took my powered speakers hooked up in my spare bedroom off of my computer because I realized in the past year I've used them one time. Yes only one time. But in my bedroom I listen to my iPod hooked up to a Ihome iPod clock radio (the clock doesn't even work but iPod portion does) every night. I thought why am I listening to my music thru a crappy clock radio speakers when I have nice powered monitors collecting dust in the other room. I also have a spare seven channel equalizer that my powered speakers were hooked up to my computer before. So took them out hooked up my iPod clock which has RCA audio outputs to the EQ input and RCA cables out from the EQ to the powered monitor speakers. My bedroom now has a nice sounding full stereo sound with seven channel EQ settings.

In your case You'll just need a iPod (or cell phone with MP3 songs or Pandora) a mini Jack to stereo rca cable and a pair of powered monitor speakers and that's all you'll need. Plug the mini Jack end to the headphone input of your iPod or phone and the RCA end of the cable to the inputs of the powered monitor speakers and hit play. Your iPod or phone will control volume and track selection. You prolly already have a cell phone with Pandora, mp3's and other music apps, the cable is 10.00 and the rest for the powered speakers.

You could also just buy a stereo docking cradle for 20.00 for phone or iPod and the powered speakers. The dock will keep your device charged while you play music.

Here's the system (see above) with just iPod, clock docking cradle, EQ and powered speakers. Sounds awesome. You don't need the docking cradle just a cable but since mine still works and keeps my iPod charged I kept it in use.

Last edited:
Well, it looks like they have some speakers they can use after all.. but still get the $250 budget. So a receiver and CD player is pretty much all i need to get now. A MUCH easier task to do. However, those Swans look awesome... I'd love to hear them now. They'd look good in my office.

Thanks for the help...

Back