• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

I think I have asked this before...

walls

Is there any way to stream from a bluray player to a TV wirelessly??

I have all wall mounted smart TV's and really hate the wires from the players to the tvs. Lol

There are wireless HDMI transceivers but they are a little wonky. If your cabinet is directly below your TV, running the wires in the wall is really simple.

Good wireless HDMI solutions are expensive and you still have a box that requires power on the receiving end. All but the most expensive have at least some latency. This is why I gave up on that and plan to rip all my discs to my NAS.

That's just it there are no cabinets below the tvs. Ugh, one would think this wouldn't be a problem with wifi enabled tvs and players.

walls said:
Ugh, one would think this wouldn't be a problem with wifi enabled tvs and players.
Does wifi have the bandwidth to handle bluray? I don't know.

Well, running the wires in the wall, in my case anyway, proved to be a daunting task, but I had a lot of obstacles. However, as a general rule it is a fairly simple task.
Then there is the wire chase or wire molding options, neither of which looks nearly as clean as in wall.
Mine was difficult, but WELL worth it in the end. If you have that option, I would certainly consider it.

Botch said:
walls said:
Ugh, one would think this wouldn't be a problem with wifi enabled tvs and players.
Does wifi have the bandwidth to handle bluray? I don't know.
The short answer based on my own experience is yes. I've been able to stream Blu-ray material from my server, to my Wi-Fi enabled Blu-ray players connected to my TVs. When I hit "display" for the player it shows very high bit rates akin to what I'd expect directly off an actual disk.

Came across a Netgear HDMI device that is capable of doing what I was looking for. Gonna get it hooked up today and give it a whirl.

I use Vudu for all my movie watching now. Haven't pulled out a bluray in about two years now. Buy a smart TV with Vudu built in and your all set. I'm slowly selling my Bluray collection as I never use the movies anymore.

MatthewB said:
I use Vudu for all my movie watching now. Haven't pulled out a bluray in about two years now. Buy a smart TV with Vudu built in and your all set. I'm slowly selling my Bluray collection as I never use the movies anymore.
About which I again wonder: and what happens when that Cloud-based business goes tits up, as they all inevitably do?

JeffMackwood said:
MatthewB said:
About which I again wonder: and what happens when that Cloud-based business goes tits up, as they all inevitably do?

Jeff, I'm sort of on board with this question. However, in this case, there is some good news and some bad news that can be summed in the following single sentence: Vudu is a Walmart service.

The good part of that is that Walmart is very unlikely to go anywhere in the foreseeable future. The bad part of that is that they may get a wild hair and change something one day and there's nothing the consumer can do about it.

I have an Ultraviolet account that I use sometimes. However, I have never used it (nor do I plan to) to watch a movie in my theater. I use it as a way for me to have portable copies of my movies, especially for the future.

John

yromj said:
I have an Ultraviolet account that I use sometimes. However, I have never used it (nor do I plan to) to watch a movie in my theater. I use it as a way for me to have portable copies of my movies, especially for the future. John
Which makes complete sense to me, since you could also, should you ever want to, rip your content to a personal cloud device and likewise take it with you or access it anywhere, should Ultraviolet no longer be available.

My point (with respect to Matt selling off his tangible / physical copies) is that nothing beats having a copy that you, and only you, control.

Of course, should the Sun turn into a red giant a few billion years ahead of schedule, even MY best laid plans would be for naught!

Jeff

JeffMackwood said:
Of course, should the Sun turn into a red giant a few billion years ahead of schedule, even MY best laid plans would be for naught!

Jeff

Yep, I like being in control of my stuff. If the sun does go all red giant on us, the solar flares will knock Amazon's, and everyone else's, servers before your discs melt. So you will have a "Ha-Ha! I have my movies and you don't moment." :violence-torch:

John

I figure if Vudu ever does go tits up by then we will be on to the next video format 4k or even 8k discs. I now have 1600 HDX titles in my library there is no way I'd ever be able to afford 1600 Blurays at cost. The fact I can grab as many titles as I can at my local library which costs me nothing to buy then convert to my account for a total cost of 2.50/ea or ten titles for the cost of one Bluray or buy my movie at a second hand store then I convert and bring back (I have seven days) for a full refund so again only 2:50 for Bluray quality that is shared by my family is worth the risk.

So say ten years from now Vudu goes belly up and I have to now buy whatever new format is out there the money I saved not having to buy Blurays at full price then buy again at 4k or 8k format is worth the risk. I haven't bought a Bluray in two years but in that two years I have about 1000 titles for the cost of about 100 Blurays is worth it to me. I love the fact I can buy brand new movies sometimes two weeks before disc release for about 7.00 as compared to 20.00 for the actual disc and being able to share with my family is a bonus.

Granted losing all those movies at one time would suck but everything in life is a risk and I also think Wal Mart would suffer severe backlash by dropping Vudu.

Back