• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

IEMs more dangerous beyond just merely being super efficent?

Re: IEMs more dangerous beyond just merely being super effic

Now I know why I tend to find IEMs bass heavy and fatiguing. Thanks!

I would assume designers of good IEMs would take this into account. I'm not a big IEM user, but I haven't noticed the ones I've had (Audeo PFE and VSonic GR07) to be particularly bass-heavy. To me the fatigue is more from simply having a physical object in my ear for an extended period, I can only go an hour or two at a time.

One of the issues I have with IEMs, and in fact earplugs in general, is the loss of radiative cooling which, near the open end of the ear, is by far the most dominant method of heat transfer taking place. Having a physical object in my ear is not the problem per se, but rather it's the effect that that object has. In my case it causes an uncomfortable temperature increase after a fairly short period of time.

Another example: while swimming I rely on water moving in and out of the outer ear cavity to provide some cooling (through conduction, rather than radiation). At the other end of the spectrum, when swimming in very cold water conditions I need to use earplugs to prevent too much heat loss, which tends to lead to pain, disorientation and dizziness (by messing with the vestibular system.)

Back