• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Integra any good?

Akula

Famous
I've been thinking about maybe upgrading my primary theater receiver- it's a Denon 3808 and it has served amazingly well, but the video section is no longer sufficient to the task. If I upgrade my display to 4K, the receiver can't handle it (1080p was really new when the Denon came out).

So I've been trolling Accessories4Less, and it looks like while they've got some decent Marantz and Yamaha options (and they're both known quantities), they have an Integra DRX-2.1 that is at a really sweet price with a 2 year manufacturer warranty. It would cover everything I can think I need (the Integra is only 80W/channel and my Denon is 130W, but I don't crank it up all that super high, and that wattage difference is a bigger deal on paper than when actually driving speakers).

My question is about the quality- Onkyo has had issues in the past with power supply and heat issues... did these translate up the line to Integra? While the warranty looks good, I'd rather not depend heavily on it, and if push comes to shove I'd rather pay another couple hundred bucks for a manufacturer that hasn't had quality issues in recent memory.

Would you all have any trepidation over Integra?

The two pieces of Integra gear I've owned were both great, but I bought the first in 1987 and the second in 2001. I have no idea what the current state of Integra is, but I can verify that Onkyo went downhill a lot over the last ten years and I had issues with three different Onkyo receivers. I would personally be reluctant to gamble on one of their brands if Denon, Marantz or Yamaha were in the mix.

I love the refurbished Marantz SR-6010 I bought from accessoriesforless a couple years ago.

I bought a brand new Integra DTC-9.8 in 2007. After 11 years of constant use, I'm pleased to say I've never had so much as a hiccup with it.

Last edited:
My Onkyo AVR was in the shop twice for known defects. It has been retired to the Den System and have had no other issues since the last repair.

I documented a statement from Onkyo.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.theaudioannex.com/forum/threads/onkyo-press-release-3-19-2012-not-good.4471/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am not sure of any of their current models and how they addressed the issues that they had a few years back, however, I would be skeptical.

I have an Integra DHC 40.1 that I bought when I moved into my current house , so that would be 10 years ago. Only problem, one of the 12 volt triggers (there are three) crapped out on me last year.

Thanks, guys. Appreciate the input of the hive mind- I had my misgivings about Integra/Onkyo, good to know I'm not the only one. While the price is nice, the extra cash to get into a Yamaha or Marantz (or even a new Denon on closeout) is not a deal-buster.

I'm not sure whether to go ahead and upgrade my receiver now in expectation of a display in 6 months to a year or just hold off on the receiver until I do the TV. But if I pull the trigger, at least I know what it won't be.

Thanks, guys. Appreciate the input of the hive mind- I had my misgivings about Integra/Onkyo, good to know I'm not the only one. While the price is nice, the extra cash to get into a Yamaha or Marantz (or even a new Denon on closeout) is not a deal-buster.

I'm not sure whether to go ahead and upgrade my receiver now in expectation of a display in 6 months to a year or just hold off on the receiver until I do the TV. But if I pull the trigger, at least I know what it won't be.

I would hold off, because you don't need it until you get the new display and you will get newer tech if you wait.

Back