• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Interesting BlueTooth Portable HP Amp

Flint

Prodigal Son
Superstar
With the iPhone 7 release I have seen quite a few wireless HP amps hitting the market, but they all seem to be racing to the bottom on price - like the key to success is making the price so low buying one is an afterthought. I have been searching for a nicer approach to this in the midrange ($50) to upper midrange ($100) that offers a decent battery life, quality performance, low latency, and small form factor. I don't exactly need one, but I am fascinated by the idea and may get one in time, if the battery life is at least 12 hours (my main goal would be to use it on a long international flight).

Since Facebook, Google Adwords, and Amazon have my history of looking, I am seeing plenty of targeted ads for wireless headphone amps as I browse the web and to social media. Most of the models I see are the same old race to the bottom $19 models I am not interested in. But today I saw an add for a Indiegogo crowdfunded wireless HP amp which looked different:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/...y&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=14dsa.fnd.to

The overall specs, user experience, and industrial design appeal to me. I am assuming at this price (once launched it sells for $99) it performs very well and is rugged enough for real users. In general, it appears to have everything I am looking for EXCEPT for the battery life I feel I need. At 6 hours at max power, I would likely get 7 to 8 hours with my very efficient IEMs, but that still isn't quite what I am seeking.

But, this might work for you guys contemplating the iPhone 7 and still wanting to your favorite headphones.

Plus, they are Canadian!

canada-maple-leaf-lgprint.jpg

Not that I fly much (if any) any more, but when I do (did) most aircraft are kitted-out with available power for passengers - either through a power outlet or USB port with sufficient juice. That's in cattle class. Can't recall business class not having power at each seat. The longer the flight the more likely - as you move from turboprops to RJs on up in size.

So if it were me, if the only limitation were battery life less than 12 hours, and that gave you a good piece of gear at a good price, I'd tend to ignore the battery life and go for it. Especially if it's Canadian!

Jeff

The whole point of being wireless is, you know, being wireless. I will likely need to plug in my tablet to watch movies for that long, so that's one AC power port used. I could plug this headphone amp into the USB port on my tablet to charge it, but then I have defeated the entire point of being wireless. I currently travel with a small headphone amp from Fiio which works really well, but the specter of another power cable while sitting in my seat typically makes me not want to pull it out and bother with wiring it up for the trip. On short flights the hassle of getting everything hooked up for an hour or less in the air holds me back from using it.

If I did decide I want a wireless blutooth headphone amp, I would want it to be effortless and easy with no extra cables.

They have to fight the issue of capability vs. size. Make it with a really big battery for 12-24 hours of use, it's so big it's something people don't really use much. Make it small and easily hauled along and it only lasts 6 hours.

I'm pleased with my little Griffin iTrip Clip, it works well enough. I can easily understand why folks would want something with longer run times, but I wonder if a better answer is less "integrate the battery into the unit" and more "just charge it from a standalone battery pack." That way you can get everything you want and you can charge up your other devices as you go.

Every device I own capable of generation audio has a headphone jack. My interest in the wireless HP amp is for convenience as much as anything else. There is no point in getting one if it adds.complexity to the act of listening to audio.

I carry battery packs with me, but to use one requires another cable. The entire point of wireless gear is to get rid of wires.

Looking at this particular amp, it gets 6 hours at its current size. Adding 50% more battery capacity would probably alleviate my concerns, and that would likely be about a 25% to 35% increase in size and weight. Seems very doable to me without making the device seem huge or heavy.

Back