• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Internet Streaming Device comparison chart

Haywood said:
That chart demonstrates why I use the Roku platform, at least for now.

Pretty much what I was fixing to post. I've wondered about the Firestick since we have a few Kindle fires, but that list solved that issue.

Roku.

Haywood said:
That chart demonstrates why I use the Roku platform, at least for now.

Me too. I did a lot of research since I am planning to move from Directv to streaming most everything. Roku seemed to be the most versatile. But what do I know?

The Roku is fantastic until you jump to 4k and then all of the options are lousy. The Roku 4 does not support HDR and also has some issues with red push and lip sync, particularly when run through certain receivers. The worst problem is that the Roku 4 does not transcode DD+ to DD, so if you cannot get surround from Netflix over the optical output. The Amazon Fire TV is only 30 fps and does not support UltraViolet at all. Even the Flixster app has been disabled, so if you are not bought into the Amazon Video ecosystem, this can be a problem. There is no Amazon Video app on any of the Android TV boxes and Amazon went out of their way to make sure the apk for Sony Android TV sets will not run on non-Sony devices. If you want to watch Amazon on something like an NVidia SHIELD TV, you are currently out of luck. There is no Vudu app either, though there are apps for Disney Movies Anywhere and CinemaNow. The main advantage of the SHIELD is that it is a very powerful box that runs KODI well enough to play back full 1:1 Blu-Ray rips with lossless audio. You are pretty much stuck with optical out with all of these boxes if you don't have a new receiver, but the Fire and the SHIELD both convert DD+ to DD.

I am personally holding out for the time being, using my Roku 3 and the Android TV built into my new Sony set. I figure a lot will be sorted out by this time next year and there is so little 4k content that I can live with just using the apps in my television for now.

Back