• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

iPhone or iPod speaker docks

No-L

Any suggestions or recommendations? I'm looking for affordable AND incredible, but I am realistic about realizing these don't always go hand in hand. Unfortunately AFFORDABLE is more important at the moment (under $200). I don't need a clock or alarm, just speakers.

I use an aux cable to connect my iPhone to a Boston Acoustic clock/radio at the office.
:text-link:

It sounds very good but the cable is less than elegant. Boston's iPhone dock is over your price range at ~$250.

My wife uses a Philips Fidelio :text-link: she's no audiophile but she loves it. I've heard it and say it sounds much better than I thought a sub $100 dock would.

This dock won a product of the year award in its category in one of the a/v mags a couple years ago. Reviews on amazon are mixed but mostly 4 or 5 star...it's slightly over $200 but probably one of the better option...

Don't forget to consider whether your dock needs to work with your iPhone in a case.

Speaking of which, do you know of any docks, or cables, that would be doable with an Otter box on the iphone? I would like to hook my phone up to my receiver at home to stream pandora, etc.

I've had the big hard plastic and rubber Otterbox on my iPhone and never found any docks that would fit. Any aux cable should work fine though.

For those wanting to stream Pandora and such I highly recommend a Bluetooth device that hooks to your receiver. I have Pioneer receivers and they have their own (Marantz does too) but there are a few aftermarket options. No need to worry about a case not fitting a dock and your phone can stay close.

Logitech and Altec Lansing make good, inexpensive docks. Check edealinfo.com, always some on there.

My wife and I use a Creative D200 Bluetooth speaker in the kitchen and are very happy with it. It is inexpensive, sounds reasonably good and works within 35 feet of the device. She uses it to listen to music and watch streamed video in the kitchen.

I don't need the portability but if I do I just hook my iPod to a Sony boom box I have via a single input line.

Did that when I was camping and it actually sounded pretty good.

Wave® music system III

ptb884_1257929620.jpg

Or

Bose® SoundDock Portable Digital Music System

Music has the power to move you- and Bose has a speaker system that moves with your music. The SoundDock Portable system offers a combination of performance and playtime that other rechargeable systems can't match. Enjoy music from your iPod or iPhone almost anywhere. On the deck or in the dorm room, at the park or on the beach, it reproduces your favorite tunes with fullness and clarity unusual for a portable system.

Bose-SoundDock-portable.jpg

Batman said:
This dock won a product of the year award in its category in one of the a/v mags a couple years ago. Reviews on amazon are mixed but mostly 4 or 5 star...it's slightly over $200 but probably one of the better option...

Interesting that it won an award. I have not heard good things about iHome products. I'll do some research.
Thanks.

Towen7 said:
I use an aux cable to connect my iPhone to a Boston Acoustic clock/radio at the office.

It sounds very good but the cable is less than elegant. Boston's iPhone dock is over your price range at ~$250.

My wife uses a Philips Fidelio :text-link: she's no audiophile but she loves it. I've heard it and say it sounds much better than I thought a sub $100 dock would.

Do you know if it has a fairly good bass end?

Haywood said:
My wife and I use a Creative D200 Bluetooth speaker in the kitchen and are very happy with it. It is inexpensive, sounds reasonably good and works within 35 feet of the device. She uses it to listen to music and watch streamed video in the kitchen.

I didn't know such a thing existed. Great idea. Then I could use my phone while listening!

mazersteven said:
Wave® music system III

ptb884_1257929620.jpg

Or

Bose® SoundDock Portable Digital Music System

Music has the power to move you- and Bose has a speaker system that moves with your music. The SoundDock Portable system offers a combination of performance and playtime that other rechargeable systems can't match. Enjoy music from your iPod or iPhone almost anywhere. On the deck or in the dorm room, at the park or on the beach, it reproduces your favorite tunes with fullness and clarity unusual for a portable system.

Bose-SoundDock-portable.jpg

So Bose actually makes a dock for less than $200? Interesting!
Thanks!

No-L said:
So Bose actually makes a dock for less than $200? Interesting!
Thanks!
No they don't and I would not let you buy one even if they did.

which do you have, iPod or iPhone? If it's an iPhone or iPod Touch you can add those with AirPlay included in them to your list, or use an Apple TV hooked to a current radio with inputs. Anything with AirPlay will then be able to be used with your iTunes on your network (assuming you have one) If it's an older iPod, I have a dock floating around here you can have if you have a radio it can be hooked up to.

For what it's worth, we have an iHome alarm clock that is a few years old and works fine.

I have a Logitech and Altec Lansing dock, both put emphasis on bass and sound much bigger. The Altec is a larger unit that is made for Zune but has an aux input. Cover shipping and I'll give it to you with that old iPod dock. If the iPod is newer it may not fully function on that dock though, it's a very early model. IIRC I hooked it up before with an iPhone before and the remote functions and charging didn't work. If you want an iPhone 3G to use as an iPod I have one of those too (8gb) Have to sell that one though.

I just proof read and I sound like I need to be on an episode of hoarders. Thinking about it, we don't need the iHome alarm clock either. It's currently being used as a computer speaker.

No-L said:
Haywood said:

I didn't know such a thing existed. Great idea. Then I could use my phone while listening!

Just make sure you're within earshot as the conversation will be output to the speaker in the Bluetooth device instead of the one in your phone during a call. That's especially not good if no one else but you is supposed to hear it.

-B- said:
which do you have, iPod or iPhone? If it's an iPhone or iPod Touch you can add those with AirPlay included in them to your list, or use an Apple TV hooked to a current radio with inputs. Anything with AirPlay will then be able to be used with your iTunes on your network (assuming you have one) If it's an older iPod, I have a dock floating around here you can have if you have a radio it can be hooked up to.

For what it's worth, we have an iHome alarm clock that is a few years old and works fine.

I have a Logitech and Altec Lansing dock, both put emphasis on bass and sound much bigger. The Altec is a larger unit that is made for Zune but has an aux input. Cover shipping and I'll give it to you with that old iPod dock. If the iPod is newer it may not fully function on that dock though, it's a very early model. IIRC I hooked it up before with an iPhone before and the remote functions and charging didn't work. If you want an iPhone 3G to use as an iPod I have one of those too (8gb) Have to sell that one though.

I just proof read and I sound like I need to be on an episode of hoarders. Thinking about it, we don't need the iHome alarm clock either. It's currently being used as a computer speaker.

I have a iPhone. We do have Apple tv, but I am specifically looking for something to put on the back porch while we are having BBQ parties.
Thanks for this input!

Back