• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Jayhawks

Never heard of them?

Are they new? What style?

I know I could google or YouTube them, but I am bored at the hotel......

Never heard of them?

Are they new? What style?

I know I could google or YouTube them, but I am bored at the hotel......
Wow that's kinda tough because they are tough to put in one category. Some would say country but I think they stop short of country. Kinda folky but with a more contemporary sound leaning towards pop. They've been around a while. Give them a try.

I've never heard the term "Power Pop" before. I'm so old!

I seem to recall you saying to me on the forum before. Tge term started in about 1995 when the term, "pop," started being used for artists like Madonna and Pink, so the industry coined Power-Pop as the moniker for rock music with catchy melodies, big harmonies, and poppy beats. The quintessential bands in the genre are Jellyfish, Gin Blossoms, Cheap Trick, The Rembrandts, and many others. It is one of my favorite genres and currently enjoy artists like Bleu, The Young Veins and Jason Falkner .

I seem to recall you saying to me on the forum before. Tge term started in about 1995 when the term, "pop," started being used for artists like Madonna and Pink, so the industry coined Power-Pop as the moniker for rock music with catchy melodies, big harmonies, and poppy beats. The quintessential bands in the genre are Jellyfish, Gin Blossoms, Cheap Trick, The Rembrandts, and many others. It is one of my favorite genres and currently enjoy artists like Bleu, The Young Veins and Jason Falkner .
That's a far cry from what I've considered "Power Pop" for the past couple of decades. I've always used the term to describe music from acts that are typically Hard Rock or even Metal (power) that somehow managed to achieve mainstream success with a catchy melody (pop). An example that comes to mind immediately would be Cinderella.

In doing a bit of research, I'm surprised you didn't cite your boys The Who. Wikipedia credits Pete Townsend with coining the term. Further, the Wikipedia entry seems mesh more with my definition. Then again, it is Wikipedia after all.

Link

Townshend also coined the word Heavy Metal to describe The Who. But if you look at the Power Pop streaming stations and playlists, they are pop-rock bands with intriguing chord progressions, happy poppy tempos and beats, and strong melodies.

Most power-pop fans put the Beach Boys, The Kinks (1960's), The Beatles, and even some of Queen's music into the category.

They also tend to put Badfinger, Big Star, Elvis Costello and the Attractions, The Pretenders, and such into the category.

Cinderella would never be put into a Power-Pop playlist. However, much of Pete Townshend's solo music is easily Power-Pop, as is much of the early Who stuff prior to Tommy, like The Kids are Alright, Little Jimmy, the Odorono Commercial, and so on.

Cinderella would never be put into a Power-Pop playlist.
No, not the band as a whole, but certainly a song or two of theirs, such as "You Don't Know What You Got". In the same vein, I'd say Firehouse qualifies also. Again, not the band in its entirety but several of their songs are certainly Power Pop.

No, not the band as a whole, but certainly a song or two of theirs, such as "You Don't Know What You Got". In the same vein, I'd say Firehouse qualifies also. Again, not the band in its entirety but several of their songs are certainly Power Pop.

I don't see it. But, genres are meant to be bent.

You're right. There are no industry-wide accepted standards defining genres. One man's "Jazz" is another's "Fusion".

Right, and that's why I struggle when attempting to describe a style of music on this forum. I often end up listing a dozen bands then use the term I use to describe it.

I’d say those songs are Power Ballads not Power Pop...

I’d say those songs are Power Ballads not Power Pop...
Fair enough. They are indeed Power Ballads, originally. But the instant they make the charts and become 'Popular', I think they become Power Pop.

Fair enough. They are indeed Power Ballads, originally. But the instant they make the charts and become 'Popular', I think they become Power Pop.

Pop, in this instance, has as much to do with the music being "poppy", as in fun and light and bouncy, as it does being popular.

Pop, in this instance, has as much to do with the music being "poppy", as in fun and light and bouncy, as it does being popular.

Right. Even if the song “Stacy’s Mom” hadn’t become popular it’d still be power pop.

Last edited:
In fact, most of the most loved bands in the power-pop world are not hugely popular. Like punk, speed metal, french cafe and similar genres, an average popular band in power-pop may not go platinum very often.

With the how bad my memory is since surgery its possible but I'm 99% sure it wasn't me.

Back