• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Legacy AV Equipment Question

TKoP

Since splitting from Mrs. TKoP, I've had the house to myself to do as I please. Rather than converting my garage or shed (which is pretty nice) to a "man cave" (both have been chock full of “stuff” since time began), I decided to set up my listening system in one of the spare rooms.

I’ve pulled out all the equipment that I've been storing for literally years and got everything set up in the room at this point.

The question I have is:
What is the subwoofer crossover point on these old PreAmps?

I didn't see it in the manual and was just curious. My assumption is 80hz, but again, wasn’t certain. And again, I’m just curious.

For reference, the equipment includes:
  • Usher 2.5 DIY speakers
  • DIY sub I built a while ago (documented a long time ago at S&V)
  • Marantv AV-600 Preamp
  • Rotel Stereo Amp (don't remember the model #)
  • Panasonic DVD/CD 5 disc player
  • 6 DIY 2" OC-703 sound panels

I’m looking to get some speaker stands at some point, making some sort of holder for the sound panels and either moving the TV in my bedroom there or getting a cheap one someplace. The chair in there right now is high backed – which affected the sound, so I’m going to swap it out with another that isn’t but is still comfortable and has an ottoman. Totally didn’t even think about it, but totally makes sense.
50.jpg

80Hz has always been the default xover point for a sub. However back in the really old times when dinosaurs pooping on my front yard was a bigger problem than dogs doing same, preamps didn't have xover frequencies because subwoofers didn't exist in their current form.

According to this review (LINK), the AV600 crossover is 80Hz high pass for all the other speakers when the subwoofer output is activated. It doesn't say anything about a low pass crossover on the subwoofer outputs.

80Hz has always been the default xover point for a sub. However back in the really old times when dinosaurs pooping on my front yard was a bigger problem than dogs doing same, preamps didn't have xover frequencies because subwoofers didn't exist in their current form.

Yeah, it's old but not quite that old... Now I'm curious when the subwoofer evolution took place.

According to this review (LINK), the AV600 crossover is 80Hz high pass for all the other speakers when the subwoofer output is activated. It doesn't say anything about a low pass crossover on the subwoofer outputs.

"Separate low-pass filtering is provided for each subwoofer output.." is this covering it? I currently have the sub's internal crossover cranked to high to effectively NOT have it crossover at the sub level. If it didn't have the low pass crossover, i'd have to change it to 80hz?

Thanks guys!

Yeah, it's old but not quite that old... Now I'm curious when the subwoofer evolution took place.

Subwoofers have existed forever; "sub / sat" type systems even existed in the 1950s. The "evolution" of subwoofers really started to take place when home theater started to take off in the late 80s / early 90s.

Back