• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Listener or Collector of Experiences?

Flint

Prodigal Son
Superstar
I have long danced around the many reasons people get into the audio reproduction hobby. VERY generally, I divide us into two categories: those who do it to better hear the recordings they love (like me) and those who just love the tech and different listening experiences all the various products offer (gear collectors).

When you look at the nature of the discussions here and elsewhere, and the way various people buy and replace components in their systems, I get the impression that most of those talking (or writing) about their hobby online tend to be focused more on the collector side of the hobby. I think it is because they are always hunting for something new and different AND they want to share the new and different experiences they are having. Whereas, the listeners find a certain level of Nirvana and just enjoy the music they already own. They aren't seeking new things and only pop up from time to time when a piece of gear breaks, an exciting new technology appears on the market, or they finally have the money to upgrade significantly.

Both forms of this hobby (and the variations between the extremes and the far outside hobbyists) are perfectly fine and there is nothing wrong with either. But in the years I've been participating online with this group, editing articles and blogs for others, and working with developers and engineers for audio companies, I have seen that the way the two extremes discuss products and issues in the hobby is very different. Collectors want to talk differences, even when the experiences are worse, and they want to touch, feel, and hear everything out there. Listeners discover what characteristics they love and hunt for the tools to create that experience and then tend to stick with it for as long as possible. The end goals are completely different, so the discussions and important facts are also different for the two groups.

So, where do you fall on the spectrum? On a scale of 1 for completely about perfection in listening to 10 for completely on the collector of everything you can afford to buy or borrow, where do you lie?

Me?

Well, most of you already know, I am at 1 on the scale in terms of actions (purchasing) with a tendency to want to hear and experience things just because I am also a nerdy techie sort of fellow who loves the advancement of the art of reproduction.

Somewhere between 2 and 3. My first system was essentially unchanged for 30 years (and I only upgraded to go to 5.1). My current system is essentially unchanged for 7 years now.
But I still read gear reviews, and visit audio salons, and dream.

I would say I am a 1. I need to hear the clarity..............

Still trying to get the C1's positioned correctly and the room set up to sound at least as good as the TX System. I think the low end is there, however not the mid to upper frequencies.

I don't know if I am either. Generally speaking, I do a major tech refresh every 8-10 years when there is a big shift/improvement (i.e. 4K HDR) and don't really look at gear much in between. I enjoy music a lot, but I am not a music guy like Flint. I'm really a movie guy at heart and it is all about the total experience when watching movies. That said, I'm definitely a gear head across the board. I spend a lot of time tinkering with things like media servers, HTPCs, streaming appliances and other toys because I love technology and I love the experience that it can provide. Being able to sit down on the couch, pick of the remote and watch any of my 1600+ movies on demand is very cool to me (It better be, considering how much time I spent ripping discs). Being able to access any TV show I want to watch on demand without ads is also very cool. It all goes to that experience of being able to dim the lights, sit down and enjoy something without having to give content selection a ton of forethought (picking, finding and loading a disc) and without having a lot of jarring interruptions trying to sell me bleach.

I'd say I'm roughly a 6-7 leaning in the collectors side of the spectrum. But not to collect per say but to upgrade as my needs change. Much like Haywood, while I love my music I'm more of a video guy and a total movie experience guy, BUT I f'ing hate tinkering so I tend to leave things alone as long as they are working. When I do really listen to music I'd say I am about 90° off of what Pauly seeks to find. The music and notes draw me in but once I know that I love the sound, I instantly want to discover the lyrics that inspired the music. 100% accuracy while listening, while striving for that and getting close is nice, isn't a priority for me. It's the emotional connection to the entire make up of the song that does it for me. And I try to be honest with myself, the music/albums I listen to generally don't produce the best studio recordings. So my expectations are lowered while hoping to be pleasantly surprised in regards to clarity. On that front I'm not sure I'll ever make another change for the sake of achieving audio nirvana. On the other hand and a bit more on topic, my next planned round of upgrades is to improve my visuals and/or the movie experience. I MUST have (when I can afford it) a native 4K projector and therefore the necessary upgrades to be able to display it, new preamp, new source then while I'm at it I'll get one more pair of speakers (already purchased one set of SRs) and install the used Rotel amp I've already purchased for an upgrade to Atmos. But the goal is not really to "collect," it's to keep up, but aligned with my current needs. If the next round of new video and audio formats don't work for me, I'll temporarily stop collecting. :biggrin:

Last edited:
I would say I am a 1. I need to hear the clarity...............

Keith, I would say you were more a 9, you change speakers like I change underwear. Unless I'm misunderstanding the question.

So, where do you fall on the spectrum? On a scale of 1 for completely about perfection in listening to 10 for completely on the collector of everything you can afford to buy or borrow, where do you lie?
1. Maybe 1.5. Yeah I like to talk about headphone gear and such, because I've spent a long time trying out different things. But not for the sake of, in your scale, just having a bunch of stuff to play with. But rather so I can pursue that last little bit of audio "perfection" (in all its subjectivity) to the best of my ability. Now that I've settled on a good rig for both headphones (tube amp + T1) and speakers (uber-high-end DIYs), I haven't felt any need to upgrade in a long while.

My sense of satisfaction in audio has two major parts: 1) knowing that I can hear all parts of a recording clearly and with all the emotional impact present in the recording; and 2) knowing that I've optimized the systems I have to the best of my ability (but not necessarily to the limits of my budget).

That's cool, guys. I like learning what you guys are thinking versus my impressions of you. We grow closer this way.

Of course, regardless of which side you land on, at the moment one is seeking a new item, whatever it is, I think we all become a bit of a 10 (collector) as we hunt for the best possible choice to spend money on.

I just like talking about these things and am finding I am annoying the living shit out of the forum by constantly mentioning cool new stuff, even if I never plan on actually checking our buying those new things. .

I'm a Canadian (fiscal) Liberal. Sort of a cross between Paul Martin Senior and Paul Martin Junior. Put me down as a 5.

Jeff (always looking to make a lasting impression - or indentation) Mackwood

That's cool, guys. I like learning what you guys are thinking versus my impressions of you. We grow closer this way.

Of course, regardless of which side you land on, at the moment one is seeking a new item, whatever it is, I think we all become a bit of a 10 (collector) as we hunt for the best possible choice to spend money on.

I just like talking about these things and am finding I am annoying the living shit out of the forum by constantly mentioning cool new stuff, even if I never plan on actually checking our buying those new things. .
I wouldn't read too much into the responses of others, I find the topics you post a refreshing change of pace to some other topics. I mean A/V, techs and gadgets is what brought us here. I think we've all gotten to know each other so much over the years that the ball busting has become commonplace and at times the jabs can still be misplaced or misinterpreted.

I like the discussion of new tech.

I guess I'm a 6... maybe a 7.
I'm interested in cool but useful features that make enjoying a quality listening experience easier. I'm willing to sacrifice a LITTLE sound quality in exchange for ease of use/access.

I'm definitely on the lower end of the scale like a 1 or 2. I'm not the a/v enthusiast like I was back in the S&V days. It's definitely about listening to what I have and just enjoying it on the system it's playing on and not so much collecting gear. The only thing that still picks at my collecting side is the music aspect. I can blow $400-$500 on media and not think twice about it before plunking that down on gear.

Still, I'd like to add a TV downstairs and I wouldn't mind upgrading my receiver, so maybe I'm closer to a 2.5 - 3.

Putting myself at a 7. I've had my same basic rig for a lone time now (13years?) with no plans to upgrade. But I've also built 1 kit speaker, 1 line array w/o a crossover, designed (with a LOT of help) one speaker from the ground up, and built, and partially designed, a subwoofer. These last ones were all for the experience of the build rather than the actual end speaker -- well, save the Kit speaker, that one will finally find's it home a dedicated room soon. I like music and will hopefully do more "studious" listening once my room is set up, but i'm probably another 'more video than audio' kind of guy.

On a scale of 1 for completely about perfection in listening to 10 for completely on the collector of everything you can afford to buy or borrow, where do you lie?
I've thought a lot about where I'd rank myself on this scale. I have a genuine desire to be closer to 1 than 10 but practicality, ration and finances dictate that I'm closer to 10 than 1. And then there's my indisputable history of purchases and existing environment that put me right in the middle at 5.

So weighing all the facts, I'm going to rank myself as a big ol' 4.5, just barely on the 1 side of middle-of-the-road.

Putting myself at a 7. I've had my same basic rig for a lone time now (13years?) with no plans to upgrade. But I've also built 1 kit speaker, 1 line array w/o a crossover, designed (with a LOT of help) one speaker from the ground up, and built, and partially designed, a subwoofer. These last ones were all for the experience of the build rather than the actual end speaker -- well, save the Kit speaker, that one will finally find's it home a dedicated room soon. I like music and will hopefully do more "studious" listening once my room is set up, but i'm probably another 'more video than audio' kind of guy.
I did not know this! Do you have a thread here of your system, or some pics/details you could post?

This is a very interesting way for us to examine ourselves. I feel as though I fall somewhere near 2 since to me it's all about enjoying the music. Just to show how slowly I upgrade electronics, I'm still using a Marantz receiver that I believe was recommended back in the S&V days when I was in college. Of course it doesn't have HDMI, but I manage without any difficulty. The receiver in the bedroom has HDMI, though I don't know what version...I know it does video and audio. We also have an Oppo DVD player in there since we rarely watch anything that can't be streamed and I just use that player for CDs. So, in regards to newer technology, I really just don't have a strong interest in the technical side of it because it seems to get outdated so quickly.

Where I may be a 4-5 on the scale is with vintage audio equipment. I am a sucker for beautiful old receivers that need some cleaning up to help them sing and trying out vintage speakers. I enjoy listening to music in my office when editing pictures at home and I currently have a Pioneer SX-770 (black glass face), Klipsch Heresy II's, and an SVS sub. This combination sings wonderfully! Though I occasionally try out different receivers, I always come back to this combo. I also have a pair of Mackie 824's paired with a Rotel preamp that I really enjoy as well.

On the video side, I'm definitely a 1 at best. The new technology is really cool, but if watching a movie, I'll get distracted by the audio before I do the video. I've been finishing out our basement slowly and will make a few purchases once finished. This may lead me to care more about the video side of things, but that's still a ways off.

Last edited:

I've been a long time part-time member of this forum and the one before it. I remember when it was a lot about the gear, new tech, etc. I am definitely interested in what new things can do to make my listening experience better (and appreciate those who bring it up when I visit - after all, Flint is the main reason I own Dynaudio, haven't spent a ton on source components over the years, and actually have listened to Boz Scaggs (once)).

But I'm only willing to go so far to get both in terms of budget and work (for example trying to set up a new media server, NAS to feed a Naim streamer - what a pain in the ass. Make it easy and I will pay for it).

Since I have only bought 2 audio pieces in the past 5 years I can't say I'm close to a 10. But I do love gear and plan on buying some soon to further advance my enjoyment of listening. So sign me up for 4 overall, trending towards a 7.

For video, I love a great picture on the screen but I quit obsessing over uber expensive pre/pros and tended to spend budget on the TV. And I use an XBox One for Blu-ray.

On a scale of 1 for completely about perfection in listening to 10 for completely on the collector of everything you can afford to buy or borrow, where do you lie?
I would have to rate myself closer to 1 than 10. I want to hear/see whatever it is as well as I can, which is mostly movies,
and put in (some) research along with lots of questions about what I should purchase to get that. But my resources and
pragmatic mind require I don't continually upgrade. I have the same pre/pro, speakers and sub for over a decade (and damn happy with them)
and my display changed only out of necessity (space concerns). I'm not a 1 because I do not require audio/video perfection,
but I do want it to be damn good (which it is). I'd put myself at a 3.

Back