• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Logitech 700 remote

Nufan

I was looking at buying the Logitech 700 remote, but would like to know if it can to very specific things first.
My Direct-TV remote is a basic universal, it will adjust volume on my receiver and change inputs on the TV, however...
I want to know if the Logitech can do these things:

1. Will it change to the "Smart" screen of the TV? that is not an input but a button on my tv (Visio) or more specifically...
2. Can I program it to change right to Pandora on the smart tv? Netflix? Amazon? or will I need the TV remote still to get to those stations?

Thanks

If it's a "learning" remote, it can do anything that any other remote can do and if it has a "macro" function, it can combine a sequence of functions with just a single press of a button.

The Logitech will easily replace all of your other remotes. It's even possible that the television supports a code that will go directly to Pandora, etc, that the Logitech would be able to do even if it isn't an option on the television's remote.

^^
THIS!
*EDIT*
In the unlikelyhood Logitech doesn't offer a Visio code, the 700 will "learn" the code from the Visio remote.

Rope

In my experience Logitech/Harmony doesn't play especially well with multi zone lighting using RF dimmers. I ran into this issue a couple years ago. If that isn't important than you should be good.

* moved to "Accesssories"

As others have mentioned, the Harmony can learn any code from an IR remote, such as your TV's remote. So, if you have a "Pandora" button on that remote, you're good to go. However, in my experience, other brands of remotes have MUCH larger databases of IR codes that aren't on the original remote. The downside to the other brands is cost, though.

John

I hate hate hate Logitech remotes with the rechargeable batteries built in. I have had nothing but trouble with every one I have every owned. It got so bad that Harmony located older remotes that use external AAA batteries for me because I was raising such a fuss with them having to constantly replace my remotes due to a faulty design with the charging cradle. I'd go thru four in a year that couldn't hold a charge due to the cradle. I'd have to modify the remote and chargers to get it to hold a charge then have to resort to placing a heavy book on the remotes so that it would charge. I love the older battery operated ones that I still have three of that have never given me any problems. I refuse to buy the rechargeable ones. Never again.

I've had two harmony ones in the last five years, first one only lasted a couple of months due to a puppy, chewed up the remote, but the battery was still good so I saved it. I've had the other one for almost 5 years now, and while the battery did go bad after a couple of years, I swapped it out with the battery from the other remote, and haven't had any issues. Wonder if it's because you're in a warmer climate Matt?

That's surprising, Matt; mine's been going for over five years too.

Man, I cant imagine. I have had my Harmony 1000 for several years now and I haven't had a bit of trouble with it.

I bought mine as a refurb, maybe there is something to that.

My old 880 had an annoying tendency to not sit on the charging cradle properly which caused the battery to not charge. I replaced it though not for that reason. At the time I needed an RF solution with addressable flashers. I'm now shopping for a simple IR based remote and the Harmony(s) are on the top of the list.

I can hear a slight whistle/ whine from mine when it first seats in the cradle so I know it is in there.

I purchased my Harmony One October 2, 2008...no issues and still going strong.

Rope

Rope said:
I purchased my Harmony One October 2, 2008...no issues and still going strong.

Rope

And being a CPA, you probably have the receipt to back that statement up. :teasing-tease:

^^

Yes I do and also have the warranty card. Well, actually they're both online digital files (.pdf)

Rope

Back