• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Looking for new HDMI Switch

The DirtMerchant

Famous
The number of HDMI sources has outnumbered the number of inputs on my display.
I used to have a monoprice HDMI switch, but ran into HDCP compliance issues a few years ago so scrapped it.
I'm tired of manually switching cables and need a new switch.

Can anyone point me to one that I will not have any stupid HDCP issues with?
A good brand that won't cost too much. I would also prefer one that also has a physical button
on it to select inputs so I don't have to search out a remote every time

I just searched amazon and found:
http://www.amazon.com/Kinivo-501BN-...F8&qid=1451923918&sr=1-7&keywords=HDMI+switch

http://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-High...F8&qid=1451923918&sr=1-9&keywords=HDMI+switch

Should I go Monoprice again?

I dont have a need for an HDMI switch and havent used one since I had a MonoPrice 4x2 HDMI Matrix switch some years ago. I'm only chiming in because I see that Kinivo makes one of the switches you are inquiring about. My wife and I each have a pair of Kinivo bluetooth headphones which we use at the gym and have been happy with. I also bought a Kinivo bluetooth-to-AUX adapter which I've used in the car and haven't had any issues with it either.

I'm just saying that the brand has been reliable for me but HDMI is a totally different thing so your results may vary.

I guess while I'm here...

Is there such a thing (that is affordable...aka < $100) that would do HDMI switch along with Digital Audio out? Meaning, run 3 separate HDMI into the switch and then run HDMI out to the display and Digital Audio Out to my receiver?

The DirtMerchant said:

Is there such a thing (that is affordable...aka < $100) that would do HDMI switch along with Digital Audio out? Meaning, run 3 separate HDMI into the switch and then run HDMI out to the display and Digital Audio Out to my receiver?

Why would you need a digital out? HDMI carries audio, so couldn't you just go from HDMI switch to your receiver, then HDMI out from the receiver to your TV?

Yesfan70 said:
The DirtMerchant said:

Why would you need a digital out? HDMI carries audio, so couldn't you just go from HDMI switch to your receiver, then HDMI out from the receiver to your TV?

Don't have HDMI input/output on my processor. Generally I run video directly to the TV and audio directly to the processor.

You can probably run an optical cable from your TV to your receiver and achieve the same goal.

Now I'll be the one to make the a-hole post: If you've got $100 to spend on a pseudo device, scrimp, salvage, steel another $200 and get a newer receiver. That's what you will end up doing at some point and the money you'll spend on the other band-aids will be wasted at that point.

John- Who's extremely biased against HDMI switches

yromj said:
You can probably run an optical cable from your TV to your receiver and achieve the same goal.

Now I'll be the one to make the a-hole post: If you've got $100 to spend on a pseudo device, scrimp, salvage, steel another $200 and get a newer receiver. That's what you will end up doing at some point and the money you'll spend on the other band-aids will be wasted at that point.

John- Who's extremely biased against HDMI switches

Unfortunately back in the day when I didn't have children and more disposable income, I purchased a very nice (aka WAY TOO EXPENSIVE) processor. It does not have HDMI inputs/outputs. I am loathe to give it up. Band-aids are to cover up the holes that are still in my wallet and my mind for going through with that purchase.

Just take note, optical outputs/inputs do not have the bandwith to carry the newer audio codecs. It can carry DD+ 5.1.
John does have a point but I haven't found a good avr with pre outputs, lots of HDMI that now need to be HDMI v2.0 (or even HDMI 2.0a) & HDCP 2.2 so you can use it with 4K for around $500, even refurbed (I won't consider Onkyo, but thats me).
How many HDMI inputs and outputs do you need ? I'll keep my eyes out for one.

I forgot about that. You have an Athem don't you? Yeah, I see what you mean now.

Barney- Good point about the bandwidth limitation of the optical connection. At this point though I think DM is just trying to get any audio to the system.

John

If his processor doesn't have HDMI then it can't decode lossless audio anyway.

If it was me, go with monoprice. Something like this:

http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=5557

This should have no problem with 1080P down. Also has optical & coax digital out (also has an analog stereo output). And has a remote. Amazon may have this as well.
Just call or email tech support at monoprice if you have any questions.

They were real honest with me when I talked to support about a HDMI splitter I needed (which they don"t carry but looking into having one)

Barney said:
Just take note, optical outputs/inputs do not have the bandwith to carry the newer audio codecs. It can carry DD+ 5.1.
John does have a point but I haven't found a good avr with pre outputs, lots of HDMI that now need to be HDMI v2.0 (or even HDMI 2.0a) & HDCP 2.2 so you can use it with 4K for around $500, even refurbed (I won't consider Onkyo, but thats me).
How many HDMI inputs and outputs do you need ? I'll keep my eyes out for one.

I would need at least 4 in and either 1 or 2 out would be fine. Let me know if you find anything, thanks!

And regarding the 4K and HDMI 2.0 or 2.0.a & HDCP 2.2....I generally just want it to work with less wires running around and at minimal $ input. I'm looking to clean up my setup and move. Then when I get into the new place...get the 4K applicable stuff.

Barney said:
If it was me, go with monoprice. Something like this:

http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=5557

This should have no problem with 1080P down. Also has optical & coax digital out (also has an analog stereo output). And has a remote. Amazon may have this as well.
Just call or email tech support at monoprice if you have any questions.

They were real honest with me when I talked to support about a HDMI splitter I needed (which they don"t carry but looking into having one)

This looks like exactly what I am looking for.
I'll direct my questions to their support...as my only hesitation is the HDCP issue. As I mentioned previously, with the monoprice HDMI switch that I had before, the HDCP issues forced me to stop using it. Hopefully "Fully HDCP compliant" covers everything I need.

THANKS BARNEY!
:text-bravo: :banana-dance: :banana-rock: :banana-dance: :bow-blue:

Back