• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Lord of the Rings may get the Amazon TV treatment!

Flint

Prodigal Son
Superstar
While the movies were amazing, they also edited out considerable amounts of content from the books to keep them flowing and fit some form of time limit window for movie length.

Now it appears Amazon is negotiating to make a high budget TV series based on the books with Jeff Bezos himself getting involved in the discussions. This could be fantastic.

Yeah, but stuff that got edited out was boring and tedious Hobbit poetry/songs. They can leave that out.

Meh. That has been thoroughly beaten to death. If they want to do a fantasy series, there are tons of other good options.

Not sure I'm interested in this project. I'm still waiting for someone to do the Dune series of books justice.

Fantasy
The Dark Tower series by Stephen King
The Kingkiller Chronicle by Patrick Rothfuss
His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman
The Riftwar Saga by Raymond Feist
The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen R. Donaldson

Sci-Fi
The Hyperion Canticle by Dan Simon
The Mars trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson
The Foundation or Robot series by Isaac Asimov
The Rama series by Arthur C. Clarke
The Stainless Steel Rat series by Harry Harrison

There are obviously dozens of other great options, so this is just a sampling of the kind of material I have in mind.

I'm hopeful with this one -- it's totally in my genre soft-spot with so much nostalgia built in. It's got the potential to really REALLY stink, but I think there is a lot that can be done that would be entertaining as well. E.g., Sauron's rise to power, Gollum's corruption, Gandalf's training, etc. But this is one where I think you need to go GoT on... i.e., you'll need to spend a bit of money to get it right.

Back