• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Magico A3: entry level at 10k

TitaniumTroy

http://magico.net/Marketing/Press_Release_A3.php

This was one of my favorite speakers at AXPONA regardless of price, so did many audio reviews of it. All aluminum enclosure, sealed bass, supposed go down to 20hz (no +or- spec), beryllium tweeter. I'm sure they will sell a lot of these at a price $9,800, needs a powerful amp at 88db though.

FYI, I only heard this at normal volume levels in a small hotel room. Heard a larger Magico in another room which did not sound as good, due to the bass overpowering the even smaller room. But that was true of many rooms, such as it goes at audio shows.

I am going to hear these this coming weekend in Dallas at the LoneStar Audio Fest.

Hey @Wardsweb, I'm planning to stop by Lone Star Audio Fest, and am also looking forward to hearing Magico's (haven't heard any of their speakers yet). Perhaps we could meet up depending on the day/time. I'll PM you!

I look forward to your opinion on the A3, as you be able to spend more time with it. And hopefully in a better room, and at a louder volume.

Hey @Wardsweb, I'm planning to stop by Lone Star Audio Fest, and am also looking forward to hearing Magico's (haven't heard any of their speakers yet). Perhaps we could meet up depending on the day/time. I'll PM you!

I will see you there. Always nice to put a face with a name. The more people you know a the show, the more fun it is.

Very nice looking speakers. But man they aren't cheap. At some point the performance versus price just isn't getting there

High end audio isn't for everyone, but there is a market out there. There will always be someone with more and someone with less; education, life span, money, patience, you name it. Serenity comes not from what you have, but knowing what you can live without. For some guys spending the equivalent of a house for a pair of speakers is not a big deal, while others struggle to justify a few hundred. Remember the only person who has to like your stereo is you. You choose how good is good enough.

High end audio isn't for everyone, but there is a market out there. There will always be someone with more and someone with less; education, life span, money, patience, you name it. Serenity comes not from what you have, but knowing what you can live without. For some guys spending the equivalent of a house for a pair of speakers is not a big deal, while others struggle to justify a few hundred. Remember the only person who has to like your stereo is you. You choose how good is good enough.
Oh I completely understand .

I remember saying that I would never buy new speakers, because my Paradigm Studio 60's were great. And they are, and still in my Living Room Rig.

But look at what I ended up doing in the HT...............Simply craziness...................................but it's great!! (I think?)

Not to mention the fact that most very high end gear is massively overpriced because of expensive cosmetics (which adds nothing to the sound) and massive over engineering (which adds nothing - at least audible- to the sound), plus just general high markup.

Not to mention the fact that most very high end gear is massively overpriced because of expensive cosmetics (which adds nothing to the sound) and massive over engineering (which adds nothing - at least audible- to the sound), plus just general high markup.

Absolutely!! You can always make something more expensive, but that doesn't always make it better.

Hey Andrew, it was nice to finally meet you. How did you like the show?

Hey Andrew, it was nice to finally meet you. How did you like the show?
It was nice meeting you too! I only had time to check things out for a couple hours, so I went through the rooms fairly quickly. But it was nice to see this show bring in a few more high end and mainstream brands. I'm sure a lot of people like the indie / grassroots culture of the show, but I feel like having more mainstream brands there would bring in more people.

While it's hard to judge the various speakers based on unfamiliar music, I would say I liked the YG Carmel 2 the most. The Magico's seemed well engineered too.

I apologize to @TitaniumTroy for us hijacking his thread lol, but here are some pics I snapped from LSAF. While I didn't get a picture of the YG's, I did get a pic of the Magico's, making this somewhat relevant to the original thread topic ;)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 14
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 14
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 15
Thanks for the pics and comments, how did those big Volti Audio horns sound. I've never seen that model from them before. Also how about the sound of the Austin Acoustics horn?

Thanks for the pics and comments, how did those big Volti Audio horns sound. I've never seen that model from them before. Also how about the sound of the Austin Acoustics horn?

Regarding Volti Audio, they had a sign saying they were sold out of everything and the system they brought to the show was something that had sitting around. The music they had playing was I think a cover of You Haven't Done Nothin' (originally by Stevie Wonder), but with a female singer. I wasn't familiar with the song, but the bass did not sound good. However, the singer's voice was really clear with good tonality, and with a wide solid soundstage. So that aspect was surprisingly really enjoyable.

Regarding the Austin Acoustics system, when I walked in this year the guy was working on the equipment so no music was playing. But I did listen to them last year. Again I wasn't familiar with the music, so I had a hard time forming an opinion. They threw a large soundstage and seemed to sound reasonably good, but on the flip side the whole system cost as much as a really nice house.

I also forgot to mention someone was demoing Usher Mini-X's (I'm a fan of Usher speakers). He was playing various Stevie Ray Vaughan songs which I was familiar with. They had good mid-range, reproduced the timbre of his voice and guitar well, and were enjoyable to hang out and listen to.

Friday and Saturday Volti had speakers cobbled using dual bass bins from his Vittora line and prototype horns he build years ago. They sounded pretty good but the bass was augmented with a 18" sub. Sunday he put together some raw Vittora speakers. These were nice but the $25K price tag is a bit much for me.

The first day I heard the Austin Acoutics system and something was way off. The third day I heard them and he had them dialed in. The soundstage was huge and imaging spot on. They were open airy and had tight effortless bass. Once again the price at $150K, with amps, is outside of my ball park.

Now the Sonner speakers were a real surprise. They sounded great and had really good bottom end. So did the YG Acoustics, but the Sonner at $6500 was a better bang for the buck than the $25K YG's.

The first day I heard the Austin Acoutics system and something was way off. The third day I heard them and he had them dialed in. The soundstage was huge and imaging spot on. They were open airy and had tight effortless bass. Once again the price at $150K, with amps, is outside of my ball park.

According to their Audiogon posting, Austin Acoustic is asking $570,000 for the system :confused: Only 15 days left to bid on it, better hurry!
https://www.audiogon.com/listings/l...r-4-way-horn-speakers-at-lsaf-2018-full-range

Back