• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Magnepan 30.7s For Condo's at Quintessence Audio in Chicago: TitaniumTroy Version

TitaniumTroy

First off much thanks to our host Quintessence Audio of Morton Grove IL, they were very nice and put out a great spread of food and drinks. Their rooms are much more acoustically treated the last time I was there four years ago which I appreciated.

I would like to tell my story by repeating something by starting at the end of the evening, the demo was done and we wore over our time by half an hour. When a nice young man showed up, he had just gotten off late from work. He pleaded his case to Wendell to hear just one jazz song, that he had bought from the store before and they should cut him slack. He was desperate to hear just what the speakers sounded like.

Wendell graciously picked a jazz song from his own collection, I cannot remember what it was or if I even liked it. However the young man immediately picked up on the 30.7 for Condo's overall sound. By saying "it was best sounding Magnepan he had ever heard" I got to talk to him a little bit after said jazz song. I don't know how many Maggies he had heard before or even what speakers had.

He didn't seem to be familiar with the online forums for Maggie fans, which Wendell and I tried to tell him about. He also had questions about the audiophile market and how the midfi market is shrinking. and going either to soundbars for the low end or uber expensive for the high end. He had heard some of Wendell's thoughts on this and wanted to know more about it.

The reason I told that story was I agreed with him, that I too thought that was the best Maggie I had ever heard. Now some people might say that is hyperbole, because the room wasn't perfect, I didn't spend that much time with them or only played one track of my own music (Outlands from Tron Legacy), tweets were on the outside ;> etc...

Let's cut to the quick, everyone knows the limitations of Maggies. The Big Four, with various degrees of problems depending on the model of Magnepan. Ability to play loud, lack of dynamics, and lack of deep bass and bass impact. Why do I need a comparison of a side by side with 3.7, I've heard 3.7's 20.7's and 30.7's all before in various rooms. Regarding the Four things I mentioned the 30.7s for Condo's blew them all away, and not by a little bit but by a good margin.

That was not the room that made caused me to have the jump factor in one of Wendell's music tracks, or the deep bass and impact I heard from his Japanese drum track.

This black looking Triangle tower is the woofer module, four 6 1/12" bass drivers per side in a V shape configuration, open baffle. 1k watt of active DSP power that can be EQ'd for the room.

This video does a better job than I can do explaining things with better pics.

Last edited:
So I completely missed the target here. I was thinking 'for condo' would mean there was purposely less bass so it would be less disturbing to close proximity neighbors. Actually its just smaller so it can fit better in a small living space but neighbors be damned cause the dynamic range is greater and more intrusive for others.

On the other hand it is Dipole Bass, which has less impact than bass reflex or sealed woofers. As an example my old desktop hybrid planer (Monsoon) satellites, had a sealed sub. It would cause my neighbor to bang on the wall even at moderate levels, I upgraded about three years ago to an all dipole Magnepan system with two woofer panels, that I can play louder than my old system with no bang on the wall.

Of course I don't have the dynamic open baffle/dipole woofers of the Condo model, still just good ole Mylar in my woofers.

Back