• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Maplenoll air bearing turntable

Wardsweb

Renaissance man
I picked this up yesterday from a nice old gentleman who didn't want to deal with a 85 pound turntable during his upcoming move. It uses an air compressor to feed 60psi to the bearings in the tone arm and platter. It came fitted with a Sumiko Blue Point Special EVO III cartridge.

mn1.jpg

Curious to know if the rumble reduced makes up for any hissing and the compressor's noise added.

Curious to know if the rumble reduced makes up for any hissing and the compressor's noise added.

No audible noise from the table. The air compressor is the quietest of any I've heard but still is not silent, so it goes in the garage. There is a switch at the table that activates a relay that turns on the compressor and very long tubing to the table.

Pretty interesting - although this takes the 80/20 rule to 99.9/0.1

I guess apartment dwellers (ie. no garage available) could make due with a SCUBA bottle and regulator. I imagine it doesn't use a huge volume of air (otherwise it would be pretty noisy at the turntable) - or does it?

Jeff

Pretty interesting - although this takes the 80/20 rule to 99.9/0.1

I guess apartment dwellers (ie. no garage available) could make due with a SCUBA bottle and regulator. I imagine it doesn't use a huge volume of air (otherwise it would be pretty noisy at the turntable) - or does it?

Jeff

Not much air at all. The fitting, going into the quick disconnect, at the table, is not much bigger than a pencil lead found in a trusty old #2.

^^^ beat me to it, I remember the He/plasma tweeter.
Helium was under a severe shortage worldwide recently, although they just discovered some huge deposits in Africa somewhere.

I hear that Nitrogen sounds better than plain air....

At the least, I'd expect that a pure gas would be better than possibly polluted air, given the undoubtedly very tight clearances and tolerances involved in an air suspension.

I hear that Nitrogen sounds better than plain air....

At the least, I'd expect that a pure gas would be better than possibly polluted air, given the undoubtedly very tight clearances and tolerances involved in an air suspension.

It does require clean dry air. This one uses a filter, separator and drier.

Back