• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Marantz 8802A-------MINE!!!!!!!!!

Razz

Ummmm..... I "needed" it. Here's why....

I was happy with my Onkyo PR-SC886 however, I needed at least 1 more HDMI input and I didn't want to deal with any HDMI switching devices. So I started the search for it's replacement. During the search I kept running into Stereo pre-pros and it got me wanting a bit higher quality from my two channel listening. I was thinking of buying a stand alone pre-amp at one point, specifically the Parasound P5 for 1K. It was looking like a good idea, until I read more and more about this new Pre-Pro from Marantz. I read many reviews...and after MUCH consideration, I went with the Marantz. VERY happy I did, not only got all the new bells and whistles but got the step up in my 2 channel listening as well.

Here are some main key points that I copied from some site...

11.2 Channel Preamp with Reference Grade (PM-11S3) Balanced Circuitry
Dolby Atmos with Audyssey MultEQ XT 32 processing
Aura 3D Ready (Requires optional paid upgrade - $199)
Brand new, Fully Discrete Current Feedback HDAM-SA2 Modules
Brand new Jitter reduction circuitry for all Optical, Coaxial & HDMI inputs
New Lower Noise Toroidal Power Transformer, derived from the PM-11S3
New Audiophile Capacitors with twice the reserve as what was in the AV8801
Brand new 768kHz / 32Bit Digital to Analog Converters - AKM4490
USB-A with DSD playback
Full 4K Video Processing with HDCP 2.2
13.2 channel XLR and RCA
Three Piece Top Cover with Copper Plated Chassis and new Isolation Feet
Networking: AirPlay, Pandora, Sirius/XM, Internet Radio & Spotify Connect
WiFi, Bluetooth, DNLA 1.5

Here are a couple links...

http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=avseparates&ProductId=AV8802

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/marantz-av8802-surround-processor-review#k7HZmKwf3QCjtO09.97

This one is interesting...

http://www.studio-22.com/marantz/catalogos/diferencias-av8801-av8802.pdf

So I bought about a month ago but wanted to get to know it before I said anything.
I think I'm ready to say a couple words.... but in NO WAY am I ever a reviewer or have any of the knowledge of some of our members here... So I'm just spiting what I like.

Overall..
I'm super happy with the purchase!!!! Thanks Bats!!!!!! If anyone is considering buying, send Bats a PM for sure. You ROCK Chris in so many ways!

Music
There are lots of audio options and adjustments on this of course but looking into it more and more I realize that almost all the extra shit it offers is just like any other gadgets today... it's just crap, and to me using them just sounded worse. It's just hard to figure out what is right for your situation, some are "ok", some are "bad" and some were surprisingly... "WOW.. NOW THAT'S JUST FUCKING AWEFUL!". I have been bouncing around many of them for weeks now, really. I still feel it's all about the original recording for the best sound. I like my 2 channel music to be just that. I found there was a change in quality going from stereo to direct to pure direct, something that was just very small in the Onkyo. Overall my 2 channel music is much better to me. At first I noticed a change but couldn't really tell what it was, now after weeks of listening I'm really liking this.

Movies
Well I set up the Audyssey MultEQ32 and I have to say, at first it was far to bass heavy and I felt the rears were too loud, I adjust those and POW! My surround has improved as well. Now with movies there are loads of sound options too and some of them actually work pretty well for me, some don't!

I was asked about the menus on this so I took lots of pics so bear with me.....

AV8802_front_open_L.png

download.jpeg

Set up was a breeze with this and went a lot faster than I anticipated
DSC_3500.jpg

It guides you through automatically when you first turn it on and all was very simple.
DSC_3512.jpg

Audyssey MultEQ 32 took a bit longer than the Audyssey in my Onkyo, there were something like 11 spots that it listens too.. but it's fun
DSC_3510.jpg

After Audyssey MultEQ is done you can go back in manually of course
DSC_3511.jpg

DSC_3507.jpg

2 sub out that you can adjust independently (I think you were looking for that right Bats?)
DSC_3470.jpg

There are a couple Audyssey tweeks
DSC_3497.jpg

There is a built in Graphic EQ so all you guys who want to play with TrueRTA and get rid of your nulls and spikes here ya go.
You can only use this by tuning MultEQ off and then you can adjust each speaker or all at once.
This is what it looks like after I ran Audyssey MultEQ32.
DSC_3482.jpg

DSC_3508.jpg

Under Video/HDMI setup, I had to turn Pass through to "off" as I like the volume control showing on the screen when I use it. It defaults to on and that way you don't get to see what level you are at or adjusting to.
DSC_3471.jpg

DSC_3509.jpg

Here is the input assignment but this is all taken care of on the walk through when you first start up.
DSC_3498.jpg

Name each source/input as you want
DSC_3473.jpg

One thing I really enjoy about this is the wi-fi connection. I can stream from my computer or anyones phone. Online access is easy and I don't have to use my stupid blu-ray player to access pandora anymore!!! :music-rockout: Everything is pretty smooth and lots and lots to choose from.. actually, the amount of internet stations is overwhelming.. I think it's like that with every online radio player though.
DSC_3492.jpg
[/URL]

Here is my Pandora, it has a different look but is soooo much easier to use now (my panasonic player is not the best). But here's an interesting thing, It sounds a hell of a lot better now. The only answer I have for that is the Marantz has a little function for compressed audio called M-DAX. This is supposed to restore the compressed signal. I'm not sure what is happening but it is much easier to listen too now.
DSC_3494.jpg

Here's internet radio
DSC_3513.jpg

So I can choose to search by Genre or Location
There are 58 Genre and 10 main locations
Here I choose Genre and go to Classic Rock. If you look.. There are 47 "smaller locations" 1 All Station, 1 Highlighted, and 1 High Quality.
DSC_3514.jpg

In the High Quality, it ranges from 128kbs to 320kbs and there are like 7 stations total.
DSC_3490.jpg

But if I go to "All Stations" there are 797 stations... That's a lot of fucking stations!!!!
DSC_3515.jpg

The remote is nice and works well with a backlight button on the side. There are a couple nice buttons on it too, I have zoomed in on the colored ones here.
Movie, Music, Game, and Pure. Also right above them are "smart select 1234" those you can assign to a device.
DSC_3489.jpg

If you are listening to music, press the music button and you get these options. I like it actually, I find DTS NEO:X kind of fun.
DSC_3483.jpg

Same goes with movies... it just takes the source and give you the options.
DSC_3487.jpg

The Pure button switches from stereo to direct to pure direct.
There is also an "info" button that lets you know whats going on....
DSC_3499.jpg

And another button that brings you straight to the Audio/Audyssy MultEQ page so you can make quick changes..
DSC_3497.jpg

:music-rockout: :banana-rock: :music-rockout: :banana-rock: :music-rockout: :banana-rock: :music-rockout: :banana-rock: :music-rockout: :banana-rock: :music-rockout: :banana-rock:

Congrats, and you Suck.
I'm also a Marantz fan. You do know that you CAN connect the new 4K HDR UHD blu ray player ( or the soon to be released Ruko4 so you can stream Netflix/Amazon Prime video's hi-rez 4K )and all the video will pass through it straight to a 4K HDR UHD monitor (LED or OLED). I bet Batman covered all that and more.

Three years ago I bought Bats used Marantz preamp which I still use today. Even though I really liked my Onkyo 805 that I was basically using as a preamp. I sold it to a client of mine which paid for half of what Bats sold me his preamp for. Granted my online setup is not nearly as intensive as your Russ it is very easy to navigate and did a fantastic job of set up. Mine has MultiEQ but not the 32 version.

I also love the M-Dax feature as when I listen to Apple streaming it does a nice job of "filling in the blanks" of compressed audio.

Just curious do you now have a 11.2 system from one of the pictures it looks like it was setting you up for 11.2?

Congrats and you suck.

Thanks Matt,
No I'm still stuck with a 5.1 actually.. but am planning on moving very soon and when I do, If it works out, I want to set up an Atmos system. At least a 9.1 set up. But that might not happen for a few months.. I needed to upgraded so I figured, If I'm going to buy, I better buy and be future ready.... feels good that I am.

Niiiiiiiice !!!!

Since you aren't simply "passing through" your video have you played with any of the video options?
The post Audessey equalizer setting was +6db at the high end?

Congrats on the new toy.................

and yes YOU SUCK!!

:music-rockout: :music-rockout:

Botch,
I'm using my ATI 2007

Tom,
Yeah that seams strange.. I'll check what that is again

There was a mention of dual sub outs and whether they were independently adjustable ...

From the S&V article ..

S&V Article said:
This includes dual subwoofer outputs with XLR and RCA connections for each. These are on a single channel, but there are independent level settings for each subwoofer.

Yeah.. I posted a pic of the sub outs.. I only have one connected but you can see the sub 2 faded out under Sub 1

Man between you and Heeman I'm going to stay green!! That is an awesome piece of gear!!

YOU SUCK DUDE!

Congrats,

John

Towen7 said:
Niiiiiiiice !!!!

Since you aren't simply "passing through" your video have you played with any of the video options?
The post Audessey equalizer setting was +6db at the high end?

So I re-ran Audessy and again it set the same +6db.. I don't really like it that much either. It doesn't seam right to me but that's what it's doing. All my music is played without Audessy on anyways.

Congrats! I too have a Marantz and I really do like them. Still have my Outlaw 990 in the box up in my attic though!

Back