• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Mini La Scalas

Just a side project that's not going to be mass produced but won't share build information because many improvements could be made. I smell BULLSHIT!!!

Rope

Horns that small will not produce anything we would call "bass."

They are attractive and a proud testament to the genius of Paul Klipsch, but they are all about looks.

Barney said:
Where's Dennie ?

Zing was right. I was listening to music.

Yeah, it is a Klipsch employee who took apart a set of Pro Media desktop speakers and made those. There are a lot of us who would love to have a pair.

Maybe someone could start a side business building these? :think:

EDIT: I think there is a sub that goes with these. The bass bin is not active.

Dennie

True on the level of the horns reaching down to what we call bass but the look is true.
With the 4 inch driver in the horn it would be running 80 hz up to around 3 k and then the High driver would take the rest. I still wonder how well the sound will be out of the bottom horn on the 800 hz to 2 or 3k.

Add in a nice pair of digital amps for 20 or 30 watts to top and bottom. Adding a 3 way active crossover. Then one could do upto 100 hz for the sub, 100 hz up to 3 k for the mid and 3k up for the highs. The Sound Hound 3 way crossover would work very well on this application.

The only thing to look at is near field response and the sound field.

For the sub one would be fun to build an 8 inch or 10 inch version of the Corner horn.

Attachments

• eckhorn11.jpg
    eckhorn11.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 485
If you like these mini speakers, do a search for Altec mini A7. They were promo units Altec sent to dealers back in the day. Very trick and hard to find now.

The problem is that a horn as small as those tiny La Scalas simply cannot produce hornloaded output below about 1kHz. While the speaker could produce lower frequencies, it won't be the high efficiency, hornloaded, sound or performance. To get to 80Hz would require a massively huge horn. Not even the infamous Voice of the Theater was horn loaded below 200Hz.

Back