• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

My 4K upgrade

MatthewB

Grandmaster Pimp Daddy
Famous
So as most of you know 15 years ago I joined our little group as I had just bought a Pioneer Elite 58"HDTV and needed guidance on how to get the most out of this TV. It started with the tv then you guys steered me towards surround sound and finally subs. Well even tho my Pioneer has an incredible picture but technology moves way too fast and finally had to give up on 1080i technology. So bought myself a Samsumg 65" 4K HDTV with Quantum Dot Technology. The Black Friday deal which saved me 47% off the cost and Michelle offering to pay half was just too good a deal to turn down. So since I had a week to wait I decided what to do first was convert my old coffee table to a tv stand. So I removed the table top glass inserts and had wood inserts cut to place in instead. Then had a wood with black vaneer top screwed into the wood inserts to creat a decorative table top which also supports the weight of the tv. My Def tech center and smaller 8" DefTech Prosub 800 were placed on the shelf under the table top for audio and I moved my Prosub 1000 10" sub to the back of my room. The TV arrived today and with Bluray, Vudu streaming and Directv 1080i the image is up converted to 4K resolution and the image is flawless. Michelle loves the smaller footprint and the fact the center speaker and center sub are hidden under the table. Gives it a nice clean look so without further hesitation the pics.

Last edited:
image.jpeg By the way the coffee table in the pic above is the one I used for the new tv stand just had to remove the glass and here's that stand in progress.

image.jpeg And finally the new tv. Sorry it's a crappy picture I'm using my iPad to take the photos. Anyway it's a curved screen and the image in person is incredible. Michelle Said it best when she saw the picture "Whoa it's like your there".

Nice! Wait until you check out the 4K content on Netflix and Amazon. It looks ridiculous.

Hulu just announced they were upgrading all their original content to 4K and will offer certain old movies, like the classic James Bond films, in 4K

That will be sweet. Not sure my internet speed can handle the stream though as I only can get 20mbps in my area and it normally streams at a max of about 15

Yeah... today you need about 15Mbps sustained bandwidth for 4K without lossy artifacts starting to be visible. For near perfect 4K you'll need 20Mbps to 25Mbps. There are some new technologies in the compression world which could cut that to 25%, or 4Mbps, but that stuff is about a year away from full implementation.

Hulu just announced they were upgrading all their original content to 4K and will offer certain old movies, like the classic James Bond films, in 4K

Now if they would just make the move from 2.0 to 5.1 audio.

Yeah... today you need about 15Mbps sustained bandwidth for 4K without lossy artifacts starting to be visible. For near perfect 4K you'll need 20Mbps to 25Mbps. There are some new technologies in the compression world which could cut that to 25%, or 4Mbps, but that stuff is about a year away from full implementation.

Internet infrastructure in this country is a disgrace from the perspective of both cost and performance.

Nice looking setup you've got there. I especially like repurposing the table.

Congrats, YOU SUCK!!

Very clever repurposing of your coffee table, I like that!

That will be sweet. Not sure my internet speed can handle the stream though as I only can get 20mbps in my area and it normally streams at a max of about 15

I know Netflix says you're going to want 25Mbps for 4K. I'm north of 100 on cable modem, so I don't worry about it. I don't know if that 25 number has to do with just the video stream or if they're building in some margin for other internet uses.

Thanks guys yeah I was thinking of buying a TV stand but remembered I had that table sitting in my garage collecting dust and figured a few minor modifications and I would have a table the perfect height. Total cost was about 12.00 for the wood and black vaneer wood at Home Depot and to have it cut. A few screws later and it was done.

Tv is great just watched Suicide Squad. One thing that bugs me is the TV has this thing called local dimming which dims all four video ratios except Movie mode. So Natural, Dynamic and Enhanced as you watch the picture gets dimmer and dimmer till it's very dark. Who the Fuck would create such a thing. You calibrate the TV and then when your done it gets real dark. Anyway had to calibrate everything in Movie Mode for all inputs which I don't mind as I'll use this TV for mostly movies but still that was annoying. Still have to fix some issues with the Harmony remote as once I changed things it doesn't want my Marantz preamp to adjust inputs but that's tomorrow's project.

Loving the picture quality tho much better than my Pioneer Elite with video scaler but now that setup is going to my sister and brother in law who have always admired my Pioneer setup so at least that will still get some good use.

i turned off my local dimming since it also causes vertical banding on my end (sort of like lights of pillars when something pops up on the screen),

i love the ingenius part of using an old stand for it. great job matt.

Back