• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

My gentle giant is silent (Heeman might shed a tear...)

yromj

We watched Polar Express tonight and when the train was pulling up to the house, I paused the movie because something was wrong (the room didn't move). After 15 minutes of monkeying around w/ the sub I was pretty sure the amp is dead. I've played w/ it more sense then and I'm fairly confident the amp is dead. I don't see any LED light behind it (IFIRC, there was an LED that showed red for standby and green for on); I've verified all the connections; I've tried all the inputs; I've cycled power (which usually forces the amp on resulting in a thump) all with no effect.

I've contacted SVS to see what advice they have to offer. I'm really hopeful there is a blown fuse somewhere, but I can't see the back of the sub well enough to know if there's one accessible w/o pulling the amp. If anyone has any knowledge or advice to pass along (such as the location of a fuse), please do.

John

Damn that sucks!! Hopefully it is just a simple fix to get that beast back into service!

Attachments

• Cry-icon.png
    Cry-icon.png
    47.9 KB · Views: 2,139
I got an email from SVS. They said it could very well be the fuse and that it is in fact where DIYer said. In fact, there is supposed to be a spare fuse there! So as soon as I can get someone to help me move the beast, I'll check it out and see.

John

yromj said:
I got an email from SVS. They said it could very well be the fuse and that it is in fact where DIYer said. In fact, there is supposed to be a spare fuse there! So as soon as I can get someone to help me move the beast, I'll check it out and see.

John

They definitely shipped my SVS with 2 spare fuses. Mayhap you have them in a drawer somewhere?

yromj said:
So as soon as I can get someone to help me move the beast,
ez-sliders-16-piece-furniture-moving-kit-13560028293.jpg
:eusa-whistle:

Botch said:
How heavy is this thing?
Cabinet Dimensions: 21.5" (H) x 19.8" (W) x 25.2"(D) Overall Dimensions: 22" (H) x 19.8" (W) x 28.3"(D) (includes feet, grille, amplifier) Weight (unboxed): 127 pounds Shipped Dimensions: 33" (H) x 25" (W) x 40"(D) Shipped Weight: 168 pounds Rigid and braced Medium Density Fiberboard (MDF) cabinet Black gloss or full veneer black oak finish Front-firing driver Front-firing triple 3" high-flow flared ports Dense foam port blockers (3) included Variable 20 Hz, 16 Hz and Sealed tuning modes Protective non-resonant steel mesh grille Power cord length: 8 feet

Rope

Yeah, I've got some sliders and that is my plan. We won't have time to do this until the weekend, though. I sure hope it's just the fuse. :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

John

If the amp is "toasted" you'll smell the result. I'll lay odds it's the fuse.

Rope

Well, I pulled the fuse and the fuse isn't blown (I studied it and tested it w/ a multi-meter). SVS emailed me instructions to remove the amp, so I guess that's next.

John

Not good, but I am sure they will help you out. Shouldn't be too hard to R&R.

yromj said:
Well, I pulled the fuse and the fuse isn't blown (I studied it and tested it w/ a multi-meter). SVS emailed me instructions to remove the amp, so I guess that's next.

John

Bummer! I'm surprised the BASH amp gave up the ghost this soon. Removal should be a breeze and hopefully the folks at SVS treat you right.

Rope

Replacing the amp is very easy just remember (and label) where each wire goes. Take you about 15 minutes to do.

My spare fuses came in a plastic bag with my NSD 12/2. I just taped that bag to the owners manual. Been going on ten years now and still running on initial fuse.

I love reading about DIY projects, especially when Matt does it. :techie-studyingbrown:

No, not the typical sarcasm we think of. Rare things are more interesting than common things. :shifty:

I'm going to pull the amp tonight. I'm going to bring it to the office tomorrow and see what I can diagnose w/ the assistance of our applications engineer and a multi-meter. After we look at each other and go, "Hmmm...I don't know", I'm going to take it to a repair shop and see what he says.

The new amp will cost me $399. I'm hoping the repairs won't cost half that much.

John

yromj said:
I'm going to pull the amp tonight. I'm going to bring it to the office tomorrow and see what I can diagnose w/ the assistance of our applications engineer and a multi-meter. After we look at each other and go, "Hmmm...I don't know", I'm going to take it to a repair shop and see what he says.

The new amp will cost me $399. I'm hoping the repairs won't cost half that much.

John

That sucks the big cheese wiener! That amp should have never have toasted. After you pull the amp it should smell if it's toasted.

Rope

Back