• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

My Next Project: Bose 301 Refurb!

• Thread starter Deleted member 133
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 133

Why?

That's probably your reaction to this thread's title.

Glad you asked.

As I mentioned somewhere before, I'm in the process of re-creating my first true stereo hi-fi system, that dates from the mid to late '70s. It started its life in my Mom and Dad's living room, replacing a great big early-'60s Electrohome console. It eventually ended up down in the basement when that was refinished.

The complete system consisted of a Pioneer SX-750 receiver, Pioneer PL-510 turntable with Shure M91ED cartridge, Akai GXC-325D cassette deck, Pioneer SE-505 headphones, and Bose 301 speakers.

After we sold the family home, and Mom passed away (predeceased by Dad) my brother got the system - less the headphones (which I lent to a "friend" who has since lost them.) A year or so ago I asked my brother if he ever used it anymore and he said not. So I got back the receiver and the turntable/cartridge. The receiver I had refurbished and is now in like-new condition. The turntable is like-new to begin with but I'll be swapping out the cartridge and its unknown-hours stylus for an ADC XLM MkII Improved with new stylus.

Now the cassette deck was not working so my brother tossed it. A while back I bought a used one and recently had it fully-refurbished.

That leaves the speakers. While I was going to use one of the two pairs of Bose Series III 301s that I already have in storage, I wondered what my brother had done with the original ones. (I assumed that they were tossed with the cassette deck because they also had issues.) Turns out he had them in storage and I got them from him just after Xmas.

They differ from the Series III in that the latter uses two tweeters, firing in different directions, whereas the original version has a single tweeter and a movable "vane" that you use to change the amount of direct versus reflecting (to use Bose terminology) sound.

I was hoping that all I would need do is replace the four original foam grills (there's one over the tweeter section and another over the woofer) which were rotted and crumbling. A more complex job than the Totem grills, but not more challenging - just more time consuming. But on examination it turns out that the woofers' surrounds are also rotting and need to be re-foamed.

Here's some pics.

P1060004 (Small).JPG

P1060005 (Small).JPG

P1060008 (Medium).JPG

I'm in no rush to tackle all of this and it could take me a month or so to get it done.

But I guess that still doesn't answer the original "why?"

Because I can - for pure nostalgia sake. I want to set up the complete system somewhere and listen to it - and then likely pack it away. (I really don't have any more rooms in which to house it "permanently.") I imagine it will sound ok - but likely far less ok than I remember it sounding back in my parents' basement rec room.

We'll see.

Jeff

While not a fan of those speakers, I love to watch a good restoration effort. Good luck!

Had a couple of hours to kill before the family got together for Sunday dinner so...

Removed all the old stuck-on crap from the deteriorated foam grilles and the stapled-on Velcro tabs; used Murphy's Soap to clean the cabinets up; removed the woofers to get them ready for new surrounds; and inspected the crossovers (they both look ok - no visible oxidation on the resistors leads etc.)

Cabinets are in great shape.

P1070018 (Small).JPG

P1070019 (Small).JPG

P1070020 (Small).JPG

P1070010 (Small).JPG

Jeff

Yes good start. Hope the refoam works out. The foam rolls are in much better shape then most I have seen.

Interesting. Actually amazingly-interesting fun fact...

As I was extracting the Bose woofers this afternoon, I had this strange deja-vu feeling - all over again.

They seemed soooo familiar.

(Sound of brain gears crunching in background...)

Well it turns out that the woofers from the Koss CM/1010 are identical - in size. Same hole pattern - the whole works. How do I know? I'm the Koss Guy. I keep these things around!

Now the Koss woofer weighs at least 50% more (What? Bose might have gone cheap? Say it's not so!) And a quick resistance check across the leads gives 15.2 Ohms for the Bose and 22.1 Ohms for the Koss - not that I know how that's at all relevant, but this is my thread!

Anyhow, it is EXTREMELY likely that, while I'm awaiting the new surrounds on the Bose woofers, and before I even start to sketch out a design for the "new" grills, that I will create a Frankenspeaker and install the Koss woofers into the Bose cabinets. If you look up "shits and giggles" in the dictionary, I'm sure it says "put Koss CM/1010 woofers in an old set of Bose 301s."

Maybe tomorrow. I'm down a few beers, a bottle of white, and a half bottle of ruby port. Don't trust myself with tools right now.

:)

Jeff

:laughing: Now that sounds like a fun experiment!

Ok, I'm pretty sure that no pair of Bose 301s has ever gone as low as mine just did - armed with the Koss woofers.

P1080025 (Medium).JPG

I played Tove Lo's Talking Body and while the deepest bottom was entirely missing as expected, there were some surprisingly deep notes nevertheless. The overall sound was also pretty well balanced - at least for Bose 301s. I did not expect that a "random" woofer that happened to be the same size and share the same screw hole positions would do so.

But best of all was when Gen walked into the room to see what was going on and I told her I'd found the perfect place for them. The look she gave me: priceless!

P1080021 (Medium).JPG

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

Jeff

ps. Bonus: while I'd had those Koss CM/1010 woofers in my spares collection for the better part of a decade, I'd never gotten around to making sure that they worked without issues. Nice to know they do.

Wow! those things are A LOT smaller than I was anticipating.

Wow! those things are A LOT smaller than I was anticipating.
Yeah. For the longest time, the 301s were the smallest speaker in Bose's home line. Then came the 201s and cubes etc.

The 301s are true bookshelf speakers; I only had them on the floor because I had nowhere else to put them for a quick listen.

Very comparable in size (and to some extent performance) to the Paradigm Titans - a pair of which I also own.

Don't get me wrong: I'm not singing their praise. They were (and to some extent still are) just an average bookshelf. But set up properly, and if you like Bose's "direct reflecting" sound, then these will sound pretty good to you.

This is all about nostalgia. The Koss woofer thing was just for fun to see what would happen. I still plan to get the original woofers refurbished and to make new grilles for them. Probably by early Feb since I've got lots else going on.

Jeff

For the longest time, the 301s were the smallest speaker in Bose's home line. Then came the 201s and cubes etc.
Let's not forget the awesome 101 speaker. They are so awesome, I have elected to use my pair in the garage.

bose-101-35018.jpg

Let's not forget the awesome 101 speaker. They are so awesome, I have elected to use my pair in the garage.

bose-101-35018.jpg
I had these in my speed boat. Replaced all the hardware with Stainless steel. Why they didn’t come that way? Powered them with a Craig Powerplay cassettes deck

Yeah. For the longest time, the 301s were the smallest speaker in Bose's home line. Then came the 201s and cubes etc.

The 301s are true bookshelf speakers; I only had them on the floor because I had nowhere else to put them for a quick listen.

Very comparable in size (and to some extent performance) to the Paradigm Titans - a pair of which I also own.

Don't get me wrong: I'm not singing their praise. They were (and to some extent still are) just an average bookshelf. But set up properly, and if you like Bose's "direct reflecting" sound, then these will sound pretty good to you.

This is all about nostalgia. The Koss woofer thing was just for fun to see what would happen. I still plan to get the original woofers refurbished and to make new grilles for them. Probably by early Feb since I've got lots else going on.

Jeff

I kept thinking those looked awfully big in the pics. I remembered the 301's as being on the smallish side. I didn't realize they were as small as the Titans.

I contacted the shop that has been refurbishing a lot of my gear of late and they'll do both woofers for $120C (~$96US). Given that I've never done a surround replacement, and given that I'd likely klutz at least one of them, and given that I need both of them done right, I'll be dropping them off at the shop today.

And yes I totally forgot about the 101s - sorry!

The 501 and 601 were among Bose's "big" floorstanders. I owned a pair (original series) of each at one time, and in 1978 I traded my pair of 501s, straight up, for my first pair of Koss CM/1030. And thus began a beautiful relationship...

Jeff

Wow, now you've inspired me to refurbish my RadioShack Minimus VIIs! :bouncygrin:
You've abused those poor puppies so badly that they need refurbishing?

I have four (4) pairs of them in service and none of them need it!

So if we take the 4 pairs we can lay them on their sides stacked up to build a line array to have a concert system? line aray.gif

So if we take the 4 pairs we can lay them on their sides stacked up to build a line array to have a concert system? View attachment 7448
That's only two pairs. I assume you've only drawn one of two stacks. And is that the left or right stack? Tweeters in or out?

Jeff

ps. You just know that, at some point, I AM going to try this out for shits and giggles!

Back