• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

My OLD Oppo's sick; my NEW Oppo's SICK!

Botch

MetaBotch Doggy Dogg Mellencamp
Superstar
This past week I've received four Bluray Audio/video disks from AIX Records. One thing I've noticed is that my BDP-83's laser head moves to different parts of the disk in a stuttering fashion, sounding something like "zzt zzt zzt zzt zzt zzt zztzztzztzztzztzztzzt" before it settles down onto the track; the disk then plays just fine from song to song.
Well, it seemed to get worse as the weekend rolled on, and finally it wouldn't play at all, or even eject the disk. I powered it down at the rack, powered it back up, and immediately hit the Eject button and was able to get the disk out. But from that point on it wouldn't play any bluray disks at all, not the just the AIX disks. It'd still play CDs, SACDs, DVDs, and DVD-As, just not blurays, music or movie. :(
I remembered I was still one firmware update behind, so I tried to load that onto a thumbdrive from my iMac, and it's acting screwy, wouldn't load the update onto a thumbdrive, and then kept telling me I'd removed the device without hitting the "eject" first (I hadn't removed the device); it kept doing this even after restarting.
I finally tried loading the thumbdrive with my MBA, and everything worked just as it was supposed to. Updated the Oppo. Loaded Tom Petty's Mojo, a Bluray Audio disk, and it loaded/played perfectly! :banana-dance:
Then I tried loading one of the AIX disks again, and again got the "zzt zzt zzt zzt zzt zzt zztzztzztzztzztzztzzt", although it did play the disk. :think:
This is perplexing, and I'll have to keep an eye on it. It almost sounds like the AIX disks have something on them that gradually scrambles the Oppo's brain, but the only reason I'm even aware of AIX is the sampler that came with the Oppo! Stranger things have happened, however.

Re: My Oppo's being cranky

My 83 has been acting up also, particularly with Universal studio films. Upgrades are up to date.

After a number of communications with Oppo sending it in for repairs seems to be the only option.

I have used mine alot over the years and i think it is just getting old.

Sorry to hear that Jeff. I've used mine a lot too, although only for 4 years...
Hmm, four years may be a reasonable life. I used my Yamaha/Advent stereo for 30 years, but anything with moving parts got replaced more often (turntable (2), cassette player (2), CD player (3 or 4)).
If/when I have to replace my player it'll definitely be another Oppo, although I might think twice about the $1,000 model and stick to the $500 model. I've had such bad luck getting electronics correctly repaired (cassette decks, car decks, CD players, TVs) that I pretty much don't bother anymore, although I think I'd let the fine folks at Oppo have a crack at it, once at least.

Botch said:
Sorry to hear that Jeff. I've used mine a lot too, although only for 4 years...
Hmm, four years may be a reasonable life. I used my Yamaha/Advent stereo for 30 years, but anything with moving parts got replaced more often (turntable (2), cassette player (2), CD player (3 or 4)).
If/when I have to replace my player it'll definitely be another Oppo, although I might think twice about the $1,000 model and stick to the $500 model. I've had such bad luck getting electronics correctly repaired (cassette decks, car decks, CD players, TVs) that I pretty much don't bother anymore, although I think I'd let the fine folks at Oppo have a crack at it, once at least.
When I send it in they say I will only have to pay shipping. You should contact them, they are fast at replying.

I think my is 4 yo also. Of course I have been slow getting it to Oppo because I have been using my 93 which is working fine.

mzpro5 said:
When I send it in they say I will only have to pay shipping. You should contact them, they are fast at replying.

Sweet! That's good to hear, because its looking like mine'll have to go in too. At the end of the John Gorka/AIX disk, I got the "zt-zt's" continuously while the Oppo display showed it was playing the 1st track again, the time counter was counting off the seconds, but nothing was playing. :|

Botch said:
stick to the $500 model.
With good Blu-ray players getting cheaper and cheaper, even that may be too much now. I would get 2 of $100-ish players and keep one as a backup.

Have you tried one of these....

61RVjXA5ObL._AA1000_.jpg

I used the DVD Version on my Oppo DVD player and it straighten it right out.

Here's the link....

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Innovations-4190300-Blu-ray-Cleaner/dp/B00419ZT3E/ref=pd_sim_e_9

Dennie

What kind of condition was the BD in? Although the coating is way more durable than a typical DVD, they can still get scratched.

DIYer: I need a universal player (SACD, DVD-A, etc) and haven't seen anything cheaper.

Dennie: Worth a shot, ordered! Thanks.

Batman: Disk is immaculate, I'm anal about that. ;)

:shock:

Geez! My disk finished playing, and I didn't change it right away. Ten minutes later, the drawer opened on its own.
It's not broken, it's haunted! :scared-yipes:

Botch said:
DIYer: I need a universal player (SACD, DVD-A, etc) and haven't seen anything cheaper.

Dennie: Worth a shot, ordered! Thanks.

Batman: Disk is immaculate, I'm anal about that. ;)

Dennie tell Amazon they owe you commission - I just ordered one also.

Wasn't aware that existed, thanks! Hopefully the lens cleaner fixes the problem (hmm, playing everything except blurays may be explained by a partially-dirty lens :!: ).

DIYer said:
If all else fail, move on from DVD-A maybe?
Too much (sometimes irreplaceable) content in my collection (that's why I still maintain a turntable, too). ;)

:text-bump:

Well, Dennie, when we finally meet at a GTG I owe you a beer, heck, a dinner. That lens-cleaning disk did the trick, my Oppo is working perfectly now! :banana-dance: :banana-dance: :banana-dance:

I tried it once the other night, and it didn't help. Today's my off-Friday, so I've been contemplating what to do, the new Home Theater featured the new Oppo BDP-103 on the cover, they raved about it, I didn't want to be without a player for a couple weeks, my current player is 3 years old (with heavy use), I've never had good luck with repaired electronics, the the new Oppo had wifi and an MHL input (so I could use the new Roku-on-a-Stick), and I decided to buy the 103 and the Roku, send the -83 back to get it repaired, and then either sell it or add it to my basement system.
I decided to try the lens-cleaning disk one more time, and this time it apparently got the lens clean enough (kinda like Drano, you maybe need a second dose). I realize it may only continue to work a short time longer, but I'm holding off on buying the -103 and enjoying my AIX blurays right now.
Again, thank you! :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers: :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers: :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

Sweet!

I would have bet my paycheck that the cleaner wouldn't have worked. Congratulations!

I've got my fingers crossed that it keeps on working for you.

Good to hear, Botch! :handgestures-thumbup:

Dennie :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

Botch said:
:text-bump:

Well, Dennie, when we finally meet at a GTG I owe you a beer, heck, a dinner. That lens-cleaning disk did the trick, my Oppo is working perfectly now! :banana-dance: :banana-dance: :banana-dance:

I tried it once the other night, and it didn't help. Today's my off-Friday, so I've been contemplating what to do, the new Home Theater featured the new Oppo BDP-103 on the cover, they raved about it, I didn't want to be without a player for a couple weeks, my current player is 3 years old (with heavy use), I've never had good luck with repaired electronics, the the new Oppo had wifi and an MHL input (so I could use the new Roku-on-a-Stick), and I decided to buy the 103 and the Roku, send the -83 back to get it repaired, and then either sell it or add it to my basement system.
I decided to try the lens-cleaning disk one more time, and this time it apparently got the lens clean enough (kinda like Drano, you maybe need a second dose). I realize it may only continue to work a short time longer, but I'm holding off on buying the -103 and enjoying my AIX blurays right now.
Again, thank you! :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers: :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers: :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

Interesting. I won't get mine until Monday, chose the delayed shipping and got some Amazon movie credits.

Nice to know it may take multiple "washes" to get it clean. I still have no idea how putting a disc in the machine cleans the lens. FM.

Back