• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

My Outdoor Speaker Setup (few pics)

Yesfan70

I'm famous now bitches! vvvvv
Famous
Hey all. I got my outdoor speakers mounted. I don't have them hooked up yet, but the wiring did coming in earlier today. I'll start on that tomorrow. I figured to I would also run some ideas by on how to do the wiring and see what you all thought.

I got the speakers in this past Saturday and started on them right away. I kinda ran into a slight install problem though.

IMAG0446.jpg

As you can see by the post, I wanted to mounted these up into the eves and have them caddy-cornered so the speakers were aimed toward the center of my deck. The brackets only give the speakers a tilt or swivel adjustment depending on how the speakers are mounted (up/down or left/right, respectively). One of the speakers with the mounting bracket installed below.

IMAG0448.jpg

So, I thought about just taking some scrap 2x4 I had and make an adapter to screw into the 6x6 post. I took the pieces and cut them to a hair wider than the speaker bracket, then notched a 45 degree "V" in the center like so. This should give the brackets plenty of wood to screw into.

IMAG0449.jpg

Then I screwed them into the 6x6 posts and painted them to match.

IMAG0450.jpg

IMAG0455.jpg

Next was the speaker brackets.

IMAG0453.jpg

My yard has a slight slope to it. The left side of the deck is about 3 foot higher from the ground than the right side. Pretty scary climbing up a ladder to mount them. A view from atop the ladder

IMAG0459.jpg

Holy shit, that feels high.

Finally the speaker is mounted.

IMAG0454.jpg

A perspective of how high the speaker sits.

IMAG0457.jpg

I wanted them up in the corners away from little hands and I'm hoping this will also help with the bass a bit. I won't know until I hooked them up (hopefully tomorrow)

A view coming up the stairs.

IMAG0458.jpg

Very clean! The ceiling fans should give you a nice mellow Leslie effect. :mrgreen:

Nice work Wade! Creative yet simple mounting solution :handgestures-thumbup:

Nice solution to the corner mounting problem. I would not have thought of something so simple and elegant in a million years.

Great job.

Very nice indeed Wade. I bet they will provide many hours of good beer drinking music!

Very nice Yesfan! Now all you need is an old coon hound, a rocking chair, and a mason jar filled with some bootleggers special, and you'll be all set for a hot summer evening!

Great solution and an inexpensive one to boot!!! :text-bravo:

I think that you will be very impressed with their sound also. What amp/receiver will you be using to drive them?

I will simply echo the opinions of the others and say nice job Wade. Enjoy the fruits of your labor.

What do you guys think would be the best wiring method? I thought about just going down one of the posts and using some PVC pipe as a channel to keep the wire from looking like it's "snaking" down the columns. The wire is in wall rated wire from Monoprice, so the jacket is already white. I was thinking about both wires going down the inside of the center post, then under the deck to the back where the stereo
is located. Here's a pic looking out from just inside the house.

IMAG0460.jpg

Thanks for all the comments guys. I really appreciate it and the suggestions. As for powering the speakers, I'm going to use my old Denon 3803 for the time being.

Botch said:
Very clean! The ceiling fans should give you a nice mellow Leslie effect. :mrgreen:

I figured the alcohol will cancel out the Leslie effect. They do, and probably are, a bit too high but I'm mainly just going for something to hear while tipping back a few. :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

Just get some of that plasxtic snap together screw on conduit stuff. It is plenty clean looking and it will blend into the rest of the porch.

I finished with my setup last night and, after getting home from work today, am sitting out now listening to some tunes on it. Wow, these speakers do sound great to be under $100/pr.

I went with a plastic conduit sleeve called Cordmate. I got it at Lowe's and used it on the outside edge of the outer 6x6s. It has an adhesive backing that seems to have a hell of a bond. There's some rain coming up the next few days, so I'll find how well it hold up. Some more pics.

IMAG0462.jpg

IMAG0463.jpg

The Denon 3803 has been pulled out of retirement. :laughing:

IMAG0464.jpg

IMAG0465.jpg

I may still use that small Dayton Audio amp like T7's, but may forgo that and run me a component line (my 3803 lacks HDMI connections) under the deck for some outside TV watching. I still have plenty of RG-6 cable I could use to make my own cables.

Back