• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

My theory of why Streaming shows are better than Broadcast shows

Flint

Prodigal Son
Superstar
I have realized that nearly all streaming shows follow the model in the UK of producing around 13 shows per season instead of the 23 shows it takes to produce an American broadcast show. This allows the creative power of the producers, writers, and directors to be more focused on following the premise of the story and much less energy spent on trying to figure out how to fill a 10 additional episodes.

Maybe I am wrong, but it is what I think.

I was thinking about that the other day, although not in the context you stated. I almost feel like we are being trained to accept shorter seasons, although I would agree that we tend to get 8-10 really good episodes from non traditional content providers. I wouldn't really just limit it to streaming though, as Game of Thrones isn't really a streaming show even though you can stream it on HBO GO/NOW. I just wish they would have them released on a tighter schedule than what they are. A year to a year and a half is a long time to wait for 8 episodes of a series.

That's probably a factor. I'd also suggest that streaming services are willing to take chances on shows because they essentially have unlimited airtime. A network has only so many hours in the day and very few in prime time, so they have to schedule carefully and they want to be as sure as they can be that the show will be a success compared to other shows at that time (and what else could be shown in that slow). A streaming service can take a flyer and try out a show that may have a smaller potential audience.

Example- notice how many shows there are on network TV dealing with medical/hospital settings or legal/crime dramas... they do those because they get viewers. NBC wasn't going to go with Stranger Things.

I have been watching some older shows via streaming and see that years past shows that were 30 minutes in broad cast had about 24 minutes of real content. Many current shows in a 30 minute format actually have less than 20 minutes of content. One of the worst is Big Bang theory that lately has 18 minutes of content in shows that are scheduled for 31 minutes. More and more ads.

Perhaps instead of streaming services, we should talk about premium services. Streaming is simply a method of delivery. Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, HBO, Starz, Cinemax and even some ordinary cable channels like AMC are engaged in this content model.

I think it really gets down to how much great content a smart writer can come up with in a given amount of time. For the big broadcast shows, like Big Bang Theory, you have one or two chief writers and around a dozen staff writers all wracking their minds trying to come up with stuff for the show. When some staffer comes up with a good idea, the chief writer will do the final edit to maintain the characters' voices and attitudes, then they hope for the best. That's the typical comedy or average drama model, but imagine writing 23 very complicated murder mysteries in a single year... how can a show like CSI or SVU successfully write 23 fascinating and engaging mysteries a year?

I like the way the UK TV shows are produced, such as Doctor Who, Sherlock, Foyle's War, Endeavor, and so on produce shows - four to thirteen episodes in a given season, each one extremely well crafted and worthy of legendary status.

And, Haywood is right, AMC, FLIX, ScyFy and others have followed that same model very successfully. Some of the most memorable, addictive, and entertaining shows are those with fewer episodes. I mean, has anyone tried watching Elementary as a contrast to Sherlock? The characters in Elementary are very well crafted, but the stories get dumber and dumber and the Sherlock character seems to find the impossible to FAR too extremely unlikely levels as they run out of ideas.

If a production budget is spread out over 12 or 13 episodes instead of 20+, I would expect production quality, in general, to go up quite a bit.

Last edited:
Looking back, I guess I really noticed the shift of quality starting back with the Sopranos and The Wire on HBO. both were groundbreaking and extremely well written. Since then, with Hollywood's investments in 120 min "made for IMAX CGI" and "grab previous audiences with a re-make and intro to a new audience" we have seen a continual shift of quality to paid services and those channels, AMC and others taking more risk. Talented writers can develop a true "ARC" in 6-10 episodes and tell the story in their minds. We have seen this with Breaking Bad, True Detective, Peaky Blinders and countless others. They aren't held to the same standards that watered down their stories for CBS/ABC/NBC and strecthed them out to 20 episodes and weren't forced to trim it down to 2 hours and make "bang/pop/dazzle" the eyes movie.

I truly appreciate and love the increase of quality writing being delivered to consumers.

I’m not sold on streaming unless I can bypass or sigficantly reduce the amount of commercials I’m subjected to.

The shows I’ve TRIED to watch on theTBS and Adult Swim apps make me sit through three un-skippable commercial breaks. At least one of the breaks will have 10 commercials.

I already know your going to say that future apps will let me pay more to avoid or limit commercials. But now we’re doubling the price of access.

I’m not sold on streaming unless I can bypass or sigficantly reduce the amount of commercials I’m subjected to.

The shows I’ve TRIED to watch on theTBS and Adult Swim apps make me sit through three un-skippable commercial breaks. At least one of the breaks will have 10 commercials.

I already know your going to say that future apps will let me pay more to avoid or limit commercials. But now we’re doubling the price of access.

We pay $3 extra for Hulu to avoid ads. I believe the fee to remove adds is similar on CBS All Access. YouTube Red is free with Google Play Music and I love watching YouTube with zero ads. The TV Anywhere streaming services you can get with your cable login are all loaded with ads. Ditto for any other "free" content out there. We do not get any ads on any of the streaming channels we subscribe to.

Looking back, I guess I really noticed the shift of quality starting back with the Sopranos and The Wire on HBO. both were groundbreaking and extremely well written. Since then, with Hollywood's investments in 120 min "made for IMAX CGI" and "grab previous audiences with a re-make and intro to a new audience" we have seen a continual shift of quality to paid services and those channels, AMC and others taking more risk. Talented writers can develop a true "ARC" in 6-10 episodes and tell the story in their minds. We have seen this with Breaking Bad, True Detective, Peaky Blinders and countless others. They aren't held to the same standards that watered down their stories for CBS/ABC/NBC and strecthed them out to 20 episodes and weren't forced to trim it down to 2 hours and make "bang/pop/dazzle" the eyes movie.

I truly appreciate and love the increase of quality writing being delivered to consumers.
I agree 100%, The Sopranos and The Wire paved the way for all of it. Arguably the best shows to ever hit TV. GMT can also be added to that group of best TV shows without doubt.

Is it just me, or do others feel almost a sense of loss or sadness after watching these shows? I mean we wait usually over a year for new episodes, and the season is short enough that you can usually finish them in a weekend. Kind of like Christmas, but when it's all done, you don't have any toys to play with, and now you know it will be at least a year, probably longer, before you see any more episodes.

Is it just me, or do others feel almost a sense of loss or sadness after watching these shows? I mean we wait usually over a year for new episodes, and the season is short enough that you can usually finish them in a weekend. Kind of like Christmas, but when it's all done, you don't have any toys to play with, and now you know it will be at least a year, probably longer, before you see any more episodes.

Yes! But then the next show comes along and you can always fill the spaces with some of the better broadcast shows, such as The Blacklist.

Yes! But then the next show comes along and you can always fill the spaces with some of the better broadcast shows, such as The Blacklist.
And there within lies another problem, but at least a good problem to have. There are so many good shows on tv right now, it's hard to make a commitment and see all of them. I've never seen Mad Men, The Walking Dead, and only bits and pieces of Breaking Bad, as well as other shows which are highly rated. Although this is coming from the guy who recently added Hulu just to watch episodes of the Stargate series, which I've already seen. lol

As Haywood suggests, this 13 episode arc process allows more of the creative people to make more unique shows for us to enjoy. A good example is "Broadchurch" from the BBC. The original two seasons were extremely well made and left fans really wishing there was more. But the creators left it alone until they could come up with a story and craft a new series worthy of producing. The new season is said to be as good or better than the originals, but it took years of being away from the characters for the creators to invent the current series.

I think Doctor Who would also be better of they would take a year or two off every now and then.

Meanwhile, those creative people can work on other projects which were in their heads and make other great shows for us to enjoy.

Ultimately, I get painfully addicted to many shows each month, and while it is hard to say goodbye to them, there are always just as moving shows I haven't seen available.

Back