• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Need a processor

Towen7

Staff member
My refurbed Onkyo 885 has died (again). To be honest it died well over a year ago and I’ve just not bothered to replace it and I’ve not used the HT.

Any recommendation?
Im currently running 7.1 and while the idea of Atmos is intriguing I’m not all that interested in adding additional the speakers and amps required.
my projector is only 1080P so I suppose a model a generation or three old will be fine. I only need it to handle three video sources. Multi-room capabilities aren’t important.

Man, I am so far out of the loop it isn't even funny. I lost video on my system upstairs and for a minute I thought I had lost HDMI switching in my Marantz and I absolutely dreaded the thought of putting any effort into replacing it. Ended up being a DirecTV issue and have it resolved.

Best of luck and if you upgrade receivers, you know how that works, then you will want to upgrade your projector and so on. At least how that's how my $1500 TV replacement became a $4000 project a few years back.

The Integra I got last year is still doing great- I don't use it with external amps, but I like it.

Heck, if you lived closer I have an old Denon 3808 I'm not using. That thing kicked all kinds of tail, it just wasn't up to switching 4K video or juggling a lot of sources.

Top Processors at the moment

Last edited:
I am very stir with my Demon which is about 2 years . I don't have the model number at hand but I'm sure if you do a bit of research you can find a model that meets your needs

Yeah
Apparently not much new going on
I’d forgotten about Outlaw. I just don’t trust Emotiva based on all the drama with the UMC-1 and the spam emails I received from a disgruntled former employee.

Last edited:
Given how infrequently you use your HT, wouldn't another repair be less costly than a replacement? Or do you want to start using your HT more frequently?

Personally I would buy an AVR and use that as a pre pro. Some of the Denon and Marantz are able to shut off the interior amps when you use your external lamps

I like the Denon 3600 you can still find them on Amazon for $899 new. They don't shut the internal amps off but they have Pre/Outs and the Denon 3600 tested really great on the bench test

Given how infrequently you use your HT, wouldn't another repair be less costly than a replacement? Or do you want to start using your HT more frequently?

The 885 was outdated and refurbished when I got it and subsequently required a second repair. I won’t pay to fix it again.
Regarding the frequency of use ... you‘re not wrong. I won’t use it enough to justify bleeding edge equipment but yeah ... Its kind of a chicken/egg situation. I‘ll use it never if I don’t have a processor of some sort.

You can keep an eye on Accessories4less unless you're gun shy about another refurb but it seems the least expensive receivers with preouts run about $1000 or more. If you're going to be forced to spend that much, you may as well spend a little more and get a more duty-purposed pre/pro.

What sort of time frame are you looking at and how would you feel about an Anthem AVM 50v? I've been thinking about switching up our living room system and have started filling out the 'sell my gear' form at The Music Room multiple times but never pulled the trigger. I'm going to be demoing a pair of speakers in the next couple of weeks and that will go a long way in determining what I decide to do...

What sort of time frame are you looking at and how would you feel about an Anthem AVM 50v? I've been thinking about switching up our living room system and have started filling out the 'sell my gear' form at The Music Room multiple times but never pulled the trigger. I'm going to be demoing a pair of speakers in the next couple of weeks and that will go a long way in determining what I decide to do...

I’m in no rush at all. Anthem gear, even pro-owned may be beyond my means by for sure let me know if you do decide to let it go.

Top Processors at the moment

MARANTZ AV7705 11.2-Ch A/V PrePro Preamp Processor HEOS | Accessories4less

There, I saved you a little dough ray me!!!

Personally I would buy an AVR and use that as a pre pro. Some of the Denon and Marantz are able to shut off the interior amps when you use your external lamps

I like the Denon 3600 you can still find them on Amazon for $899 new. They don't shut the internal amps off but they have Pre/Outs and the Denon 3600 tested really great on the bench test
Yes, but I believe that is only on the current generation stuff and then you are paying full price and I think @Towen7 may be trying to be more efficient in his spend.

First, a plug for my brand. I bought my first Yamaha stereo amp/tuner in 1979, and except for the bulbs in the power meters (which I quit replacing after awhile), no issues, and it still works today, 41 years later; it's been through 5 years of college parties, thousands of miles of shipping, and a hell of a lot of abuse.
It got replaced by another Yamaha, not because the old one didn't work but because I wanted 5.1. Ten years ago. Because I now have my TV routed through the receiver, it gets powered on/off at least 3 times a day. For ten years now (and no burned out bulbs, but there aren't any...)

Second, I won't buy any electronics "refurbished" anymore; every time I have (mebbe four times?) I've regretted it. YMMV (although it hasn't, apparently... ;) )

Finally, I would go ahead and get a 4K receiver (not sure "1080p" receivers are even available anymore). TVs and projectors are more reliable than disk players, but not as much as receivers, so you may be happy to have 4K compatibility some years down the road.

My two scents, for what its worth...

Yes, but I believe that is only on the current generation stuff and then you are paying full price and I think @Towen7 may be trying to be more efficient in his spend.

That's why I also stated about purchasing the 3600 for $899 that is a rock-solid AVR. Yes the internal amps don't shut off, but internal amps haven't shut off for forever until recently. So I don't think that's a big deal myself. The 3600 at is a rock solid receiver.

I’ve had good luck with Yamahas. I have two now that I use with consistent performance. Take a look on Facebook marketplace for a used Aventage model.

What about the Outlaw?? I thought someone on here had the previous model , the 975? Was it Heeman??

Back