• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Need some help

Deerhunter

This is my sitting area, the sectional has that curve to it and right now the best place to sit is smack in the middle. Then it drops off out of the sweet spot, and the over head issue. I was thinking placing some other speakers behind like Flint suggested on a kinda similar question. Will this work for me? I have free range to do what I want.

The sofa is center in front of my TV, I wanted to take the middle out and make it into a long sofa, then pull it out a bit, the put the speakers behind but the wife said, no on that.

20170418_084625.jpg

20170311_205504.jpg

image.jpeg image.jpeg Here's what I did with my circular couch. I placed my surrounds on each end. One smack dab against the one end and the other against the wall on the other end. Both speakers are aimed towards each other but aimed in slightly towards the man captain chair (the one with the rear surrounds as my GF could care less about surround sound. Anyway when setup this way the main surrounds fill the entire area and you get great room filling surround. Pics below.

You could use those same wall mounts to put the speakers on the rear wall far to the sides and aim them directly towards the center listening position. That would work pretty well. Or, go all Atmos strong and do what I just suggested and add another pair on the floor firing upward (read, back) and another pair above the listener (rear back height).

Or, go all Atmos strong and do what I just suggested and add another pair on the floor firing upward (read, back) and another pair above the listener (rear back height).

A pair on the floor?

So move them out farther to the side and run a pair on the floor.

The ones on the floor, should they be in the middle or to each side?

The other set above the listeners Rear back height? Not real sure what you mean by that.

I will have to pick up some atoms.

So move them out farther to the side and run a pair on the floor.

The ones on the floor, should they be in the middle or to each side?

The other set above the listeners Rear back height? Not real sure what you mean by that.

I will have to pick up some atoms.

In a 7.1 system, the ideal is a pair to the side of the listener and pair behind the listener.

In your situation, you place the side speakers on the back wall, but move them pretty far to the away to get them, in terms of ratio, to seem more like they are beside you, and aim them at the listener's head. Then, with the "rear" surrounds you can place a pair of speakers on the floor behind the couch aimed upward and about two to three feet apart.

The overhead speakers suggestion was more of a joke, if you were going to due Dolby Atmos decoding, having "height" speakers is the deal. So a pair on the ceiling would provide that.

The logic in your room, since you don't have a large open space behind the sofa, was to make a broad, dispersed sound from the rear speakers to give you the sense that maybe there is more room back there than it appears.

I was wondering, could I use a pair of soundbar speakers firing up behind the couch? Or will the bookshelf speakers work better?

I was wondering, could I use a pair of soundbar speakers firing up behind the couch? Or will the bookshelf speakers work better?
tried that when i moved into my new place, it works, but its too er... tinny. i have a polk soundbar, which i got for free from our old landlord, and i tried it for shits and giggles.

nope, better off with at least bookshelves. heck my cambridge sounded better, and those are sats. i think it might be due to its sensitivity levels and/or how efficient the soundbar would be.

bipoles maybe?

Back