• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

New Headphone models, why?

Flint

Prodigal Son
Superstar
While at CES recently I got the honor of listening to dozens upon dozens of new headphones from companies not previously in the headphone game. Companies like HiVi, Blue, Klipsch, JBL, and a massive pile of Chinese knock-offs and such. What became apparent almost immediately was that none of the new headphones sounded any better than the classic brands we have all loved for decades such as Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Westone, Beyer Dynamic, Audio-Technica, Sony, and the like. Even if I take into account headphones designed for niche markets, like DJs, and those wanting overpowering bass and treble, the classic and proven brands already make perfect models to get the job done at the right price.

I easily could have written this back when Beats by Dr. Dre were taking over the market, but today there are SOOOO many new models out there, often with crazy looks and below average performance, that I simply had to say something now.

I mean, why does Focal need a headphone line?

So, I made an effort to check out every brand I wasn't familiar with while I was free to wander the show floors. What I discovered was the less than stellar performance and value (price per performance) and often flat out discomfort to wear. Silly design gimmicks (carbon fiber diaphragm anyone?) and bizarre cosmetic ideas (headbands with wings to reach forward and backward).

I am now declaring that designers and engineers have reached a point where there is almost nothing that can be done to improve the sound quality of headphones. Advancements from research will produce lower costs and greater reliability, but not better sound - at the basic level. At this point, the difference between good headphones is all a matter of preference (tonality, open/closed/IEM/etc.) and form factor (IEM/earbud/overear/on-ear/etc).

So, what new advancements can we expect which do actually matter?

It is all in electronics, in my opinion. Wireless technology has a long way to go before it is good enough for everyone every time. Battery tech for those wireless systems needs to advance. Noise cancelling is near to being as good as it can get, so it won't be long before it has peaked and commoditized. Integrated microphones for phones could be improved to reduce noise, wind, and improve clarity. Weight for wireless headphones could be addressed. And, portability can always use an improvement, especially with the larger cans. Proper VR 3D capabilities becoming common would be very intriguing - but that requires a very accurate sensor array, more wireless tech, a powerful battery, and new DSP tech to pull off properly.

That's my view of the future of headphones.

Now, I get that this is a hobby and it is always fun to check out a new headphone, amp, and cable to see how it is different than the others one has experienced. That I get. Just like the annoying world of unlimited beer brands at the local pub where it would take a month to taste every beer they offer, and they keep rolling their kegs so new brands are arriving daily, experiencing variety has its merits. But if the goal is hearing amazing music reproduced exactly to your tastes, that part is pretty much old-hat. Once you find the perfect headphone for you, and that headphone most likely already exists and has for years, it is nearly impossible to do any better for stereo sound.

Last edited:
I still think that is because the number of people in the headphone market, a la the guys that belong here, that care about true quality sound reproduction is so vastly outnumbered by those who want to look cool and be accepted for having cool shit that its a no brainer for those companies to go after that market.

I don't think you can argue that most of our systems will outperform most soundbars and HTIB, but there certainly is a market for them. It is simply that there is a market for them and if we don't address that market someone else will. Focal surely cares more about quality sound reproduction, but they can make money off those headphones improving the bottom line which means they can maybe continue to make high quality speakers.

Your comments on battery tech, wireless tech, wifi and the like will net interesting results. It will be cool to watch how those technologies improve in the coming years.

I don't think there is an analogy to be made to our home theater systems. Even the best home theater is far from reaching perfection, especially given the issues with acoustics and seating requirements. In terms of converting electrical signals into acoustic signals accurately enough that the eardrum can capture that sound as perfectly as possible, the headphone is probably 95% there while speakers in a room are more like 70% there. Tastes, such as bass/treble balance, and fit make up the difference between the brands and models. I mean, sure, there is ample room to get the cost down - today it costs at least $200 to get outstanding sound, after all. I do, however, question the validity of headphones which sell for more than $1,000. The sweet spot for performance seems to run from about $250 to $800. The only reason I would pay more is for luxury stuff, like hand rubbed wood covers, or custom silk cushion covers, or the lipstick from Cheryl Ladd kissed gently onto the side.

Even the best home theater is far from reaching perfection, especially given the issues with acoustics and seating requirements. In terms of converting electrical signals into acoustic signals accurately enough that the eardrum can capture that sound as perfectly as possible, the headphone is probably 95% there while speakers in a room are more like 70% there.

Considering that the mixed soundtrack in a movie soundtrack never existed as "real", the "reference" is therefore the sound as it came from a speaker in a dubbing theater. Home speakers generally are as good or better than the speakers found in a cinema, since those found in a cinema have a different mission than home speakers. Cinema speakers are all about high sound pressure levels and wide dispersion (and not blowing up in the process); home speakers don't have that burden generally. Therefore, I'd say that your high quality home theater is probably more like 90% or even 100% as good as the sound heard in a dubbing theater (which after all is the reference).

If we're talking about a reference of the absolute recreation of acoustic instruments, I'd wager speakers are more like 80% or higher there if you take out of the equation the spatial recreation aspect. Even my huge horns don't trick me into thinking I'm actually sitting in front of a large orchestra, but they could, with the right recording trick somebody into thinking something smaller were there, like a string quartet, Jazz trio or something similar.

Headphones would, in my opinion fail even worse than speakers when spatial recreation is taken into account. The only way a headphone can trick somebody into thinking the sound is "real" is if binaural recordings are played, and even then, binaural has problems with virtual sources directly in front and directly in back of the listener.

All good points, and I agree.

My point is, how can the best headphones be made better? Outside electronics is all I can think of.

All good points, and I agree.

My point is, how can the best headphones be made better? Outside electronics is all I can think of.
And I think the improvement would probably focus on the spatial aspect. At any rate, I think the headphone has already been invented, and too many manufacturers are trying to reinvent that wheel.

Perhaps manufacturers should focus on inventing a truly new wheel? From the looks of things, that's too hard.

And to your point, if headphones were truly perfect at everything (including special reproduction and full body impactful bass), we wouldn't need speakers at all.

Have you tried the top models from audeze and hifiman as well as sennheizers? Boy you would be amazed!

Have you tried the top models from audeze and hifiman as well as sennheizers? Boy you would be amazed!

Yes I have. To be absolutely honest, I was not at all impressed with Audeze or Hifiman, and the extremely high prices for those models made them less attractive to me. I to like all the higher end Sennheiser, Beyer Dynamic, and AKG models, as well as select Audio Technica, Sony, and Koss. The products from traditional speaker companies such as Focal, B&W, and such are good, but usually not all that great for the price. At least, that's been my experience.

I had one of the hifiman earlier (first?) planars - HE-4 maybe? I don't remember. Along with their hybrid tube/ss amp. It was good, but the high frequencies were a bit overwhelming IMHO.

FYI, right now I'm running a Woo Audio WA6 tube amp, with Beyerdynamic T1 headphones. Absolutely love it.

Yeah I thought about the HD800 but I don't think they're for me, in terms of both price and the sort of amp needed to drive them.

I had one of the hifiman earlier (first?) planars - HE-4 maybe? I don't remember. Along with their hybrid tube/ss amp. It was good, but the high frequencies were a bit overwhelming IMHO.

FYI, right now I'm running a Woo Audio WA6 tube amp, with Beyerdynamic T1 headphones. Absolutely love it.

Yeah I thought about the HD800 but I don't think they're for me, in terms of both price and the sort of amp needed to drive them.
Wow! Those woo amps are also my dream but also out of my budget range! I am sure you enjoy it very much. Btw is Baltimore near Minnesota?

Wow! Those woo amps are also my dream but also out of my budget range! I am sure you enjoy it very much. Btw is Baltimore near Minnesota?
Not particularly near, no... sorry. But if you're ever in my area, give me a ring!

Not particularly near, no... sorry. But if you're ever in my area, give me a ring!
Reason i asked is because of my big problem. After the scam the company in minnesota doesn' t want to sell to us anymore. If someone here is from there we might ask for help in buying ditectly.

And the WA6 isn't *that* expensive... Unless (like me) you can't resist tube rolling and you spend nearly as much on tubes as the amp itself. (Although I got my WA6 from a very nice fellow member here...)

Reason i asked is because of my big problem. After the scam the company in minnesota doesn' t want to sell to us anymore. If someone here is from there we might ask for help in buying ditectly.
:laughing: Always good to be cautious!

Back