• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

New headphones?

goaliechris

Hey - been awhile since I posted (family, happy with gear, etc) but I am looking for some guidance. I have a pair of Shure se535s that I am happy with but for long listening sessions while working, I prefer over ear headphones. For that I have the Sennheiser HD280 which I plug directly into my iPhone 6. Looking to upgrade those to something like the D5000 or the Shure SRH1540 (any other recommendations would be welcome). However, not sure the sq will be that great given the lack of power. So, is there any good way to boost the iPhone? I've read a little about it and it seems like there's no great way to do it? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also there are some BBQ guys here right? Doing a pork butt this weekend on the Green Egg. Will post some pics. I use Chris Lilly's injection recipe and for the rub I use the off the shelf product called Dizzy Dust. Any other ideas or tips? I also use some fruit wood chunks like apple and peach.

Chris

Sounds like you got the butt under control, be sure to post pics!

Will definitely post some. I always look forward to a nice long day of slow cooking with beers and music and now I get to do it on a new deck. Can't wait until Monday. Wish I could do it earlier but my son is in a baseball tournament all weekend.

The only way to boost the output from your iPhone is to use an external amp. I have a little headphone amp that I bought exactly for that reason. For around $30 it does a great job of adding a little extra oomph from a small, light, not-too-in-the-way package.

41XsXgy609L._SX425_.jpg

:text-link:

goaliechris said:
Thanks - that looks perfect.

Basically this is all just an excuse to buy those Denon headphones. :D
You don't need the Fiio with the Denon D5000. I use an iPod Touch with them and it drives them as loudly and as cleanly as I'd ever need.

However, I have used the two together (as crystal-balled in my review, referenced above) and that's been equally great.

Jeff

JeffMackwood said:
goaliechris said:
Thanks - that looks perfect.

Basically this is all just an excuse to buy those Denon headphones. :D
You don't need the Fiio with the Denon D5000. I use an iPod Touch with them and it drives them as loudly and as cleanly as I'd ever need.

However, I have used the two together (as crystal-balled in my review, referenced above) and that's been equally great.

Jeff

I am with Jeff on this... If you find both Jeff and I are wrong, you can always buy the amp later. Get the headphones first, worry about an amp if it turns out you really need it, which is unlikely.

Flint and Jeff - thanks that really helps and I agree, it makes sense to go that way. My guess is that I won't need an amp and be perfectly happy not to spend the money.

I didn't realize the D5000s were discontinued. It appears there are some sites that have them.

Anything else in that range for over ear, closed backed HPs that I should consider?

Edit - dammit, never mind. The d5000s appear as rare as hen's teeth. Didn't know they had been discontinued 3 years ago.

Beyer are popular.

I am generally not a fan of closed circumaural or on ear headphones, so I am not of much use. In the studio I tend to use the AKG K-271, but that is for loud playback and reliability.

I recently wrote a review in this forum of a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M50x headphones I use in my office at work, which I can highly recommend based on comfort and general good audio quality. They also come with three cables so you can have the right cable for every situation.

goaliechris said:
Flint and Jeff - thanks that really helps and I agree, it makes sense to go that way. My guess is that I won't need an amp and be perfectly happy not to spend the money.

I didn't realize the D5000s were discontinued. It appears there are some sites that have them.

Anything else in that range for over ear, closed backed HPs that I should consider?

Edit - dammit, never mind. The d5000s appear as rare as hen's teeth. Didn't know they had been discontinued 3 years ago.
Yeah they are getting harder to find new at anything approaching a reasonable price. They do appear however, from time-to-time. One strategy might be to look at Denon's dealer list and start contacting them to see if they have any old stock.

I've just made a call to a local store and they sold their last pair of 5000s a few months ago. He's going to contact his Denon Canada rep to see if he knows of any stores that might still have some. Will let you know if any turn up.

Jeff

Thanks, Jeff - appreciate the effort.

I think that other one is gone. Either that or he's the most patient seller in all of the interwebs.

goaliechris said:

I think that other one is gone. Either that or he's the most patient seller in all of the interwebs.
Chris,

I made several long distance calls to a number of Denon dealers across Canada over the weekend to no avail. None of them had any D5000s.

I just spoke to the local Ottawa dealer and he got in touch with the Denon Canada rep as planned. The rep said he knows of none in stock at any store in Canada.

Sorry to come up blank on this one.

Jeff

JeffMackwood said:
goaliechris said:

Chris,

I made several long distance calls to a number of Denon dealers across Canada over the weekend to no avail. None of them had any D5000s.

I just spoke to the local Ottawa dealer and he got in touch with the Denon Canada rep as planned. The rep said he knows of none in stock at any store in Canada.

Sorry to come up blank on this one.

Jeff

Dude - really appreciate the effort. Very nice of you - thank you! :handgestures-thumbup:

I think I'm going to try the Shure SRH 1540. Seems they are pretty easy to drive and have good feedback.

Going down the rabbit hole of HPs and DAC/amps. Have an old MacBook Pro I might try and use as a source and hook up to a DAC and amp. Looking at the Bifrost and Asgard 2 combo. I also have a 120 GB old iPod with lossless music on it that will work well.

For headphones still looking at the Shure's but the Audeze EL8 phones looks really nice (closed backed most likely). Has anyone heard these?

Also thought this little product was interesting. Out of stock currently.
http://www.wired.com/2015/05/review-cozoy-astrapi/?mbid=social_twitter

Dude, the MacBook Pro has a killer headphone output. Serious give it a chance before you actually buy a DAC/Amp. I would argue that spending that extra $100 - $300 on upgraded headphones will pay off way more than the audio benefits of a DAC/Amp.

You can always save up and get a DAC/Amp in the future.

Thanks, Flint - didn't know that. I'd much rather go that route!

Any thoughts on headphones to spend that extra money on? You're the one who got me into Dynaudio so I can partly blame you on my tastes in speakers/sound. :)

Back