• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

New(ish) Living Room Setup

Towen7

Staff member
I finally got around to getting my living room system in order. The goals were to have a minimalist install, and to balance that with trying to hit a sweet spot between cost and performance.
The toughest part for me was deciding what to do about speakers. After months of debating with myself and adutioning almost everything I could afford (and a few things I couldn’t) I decided on the Martin Logan Motion Vision X. It’s the most expensive part of my little living room system but I’m really glad I got it. It sounds far better than any soundbar should and it let me get rid of the receiver. Now all video sources connect to the TV which outputs audio to the soundbar via toslink. I also connected a Sonos receiver as well as my old SVS sub.

First I built and stained the floating shelves above and below the TV. The initial plan was to use a wood slat wall treatment between the shelves but we changed our minds once they were in place. I had planned on building a rack for the components under the bottom shelf but decided I preferred the clean look of hiding all the components. I happened to have a cabinet in the kitchen that made running the wiring to the TV possible. I added a power outlet and an internet line so that I could hardwire everything that needs a connection. I have only two video sources at the moment but I ran three Blue Jeans HDMI cables for future proofing. All of the cables are completely hidden in the cabinet and walls.

Control via the Harmony Hub and remote has been almost flawless. The Hub sits on the top shelf and it’s IR blaster is strong enough to control both the TV and sound bar. I ran an IR extender from the Hub to the cabinet to control the Xbox which does double duty as 4K BluRay disc player.

All told I made several compromises to balance cost, performance and aesthetics but I’m pretty happy so far.

Display:
Vizio E-70

Sound:
Martin Logan Motion Vision X “sound-bar”
SVS 20-39 PC+

Video Sources:
Roku Premier Plus
Xbox One S

Audio Source:
Sonos Connect

Control:
Harmony Hub and Companion remote

DA6A775E-08A0-47C7-8F4E-77F33F3671EC.jpeg 58C060FF-A574-4E76-A504-0E96C64DE2FF.jpeg

That looks amazing. Super clean. Love the shelves. Great solution with that cabinet. Even the sub is unobtrusive.

Oh, wait, I broke from my irritating forum persona...

"Towen! Where the hell are the acoustic treatments??? Haven't you learned anything from my long posts about the importance of treating a room's acoustics??? You know you need to do it, right? "

Oh, wait, I broke from my irritating forum persona...

"Towen! Where the hell are the acoustic treatments??? Haven't you learned anything from my long posts about the importance of treating a room's acoustics??? You know you need to do it, right? "

Theeeeeere he is ;)

Since Flint opened the can of worms, I'm about to open Pandora's Box.

What are your plans to tame the horrendous diffraction anomalies from the shelves above and below the soundbar?

Since Flint opened the can of worms, I'm about to open Pandora's Box.

What are your plans to tame the horrendous diffraction anomalies from the shelves above and below the soundbar?

My plans are complicated. Step one is to sit on the sofa. Step two is to listen to the speaker with various content. Step three is to repeat step two over and over for the foreseeable future.

My plans are complicated. Step one is to sit on the sofa. Step two is to listen to the speaker with various content. Step three is to repeat step two over and over for the foreseeable future.
Atta boy! That's why you're Super Tom.

Looks great! Is this your primary TV viewing room?

Thanks!
This setup does get the bulk of the family's time. I personally don't use this TV much and the wife is highly likely to be multitasking while watching. We will occasionally stream a movie or binge watch a few episodes of a TV program. I try to enforce an agreement that at least twice a week the TV stays off and I get to listen to music while enjoying an adult beverage (or three) on the sofa.

We've got the HT upstairs if we want to really get into a movie, but streamed content doesn't look all that great on a 110" screen so we tend to reserve that room for watching BDs and entertaining.

Well done, looks great. I've been toying with the idea of building my own entertainment center, you've motivated me.

Two nagging issues have arisen and I’m worried they point to a problem with the soundbar.

The least significant problem is that if I connect the soundbar to an Ethernet line ... it randomly quits responding to the remote commands. The only way to recover is to power cycle the soundbar which is a PITA. It’s not terribly significant because the only reason to connect it to the network is for playFi, which I don’t need. So the obvious solution is to just not connect it to the network.

The more annoying problem is that the sub will make two “thumps” about a second apart every time it gets a “new” signal. For example when I turn on the Roku ... thump thump... when I select Netflix ... thump thump... if stop scrolling through the menu then start agai ... thump thump. I thought the issue may be caused by the Roku but it also happens between every song when I’m streaming to the speaker via Sonos.

If I can get the grandkid to turn off Paw Patrol for a few minutes I’ll try to update the firmware of the soundbar.

shoot dude, all i can see is my kids gonna grab that.... my kids gonna slam the soundbar... please dont bite the subwoofer... dont.... wait.... i think kids should come with a label saying it increases the chance of smoking again.

i love the cable organization by the way, muy bien!

No luck on installing a firmware update. I found instructions on the Martin Logan site but for the life of me I can’t find the actual firmware file. I’ve emailed ML, lets see how responsive their tech support teams are.

shoot dude, all i can see is my kids gonna grab that.... my kids gonna slam the soundbar... please dont bite the subwoofer... dont.... wait.... i think kids should come with a label saying it increases the chance of smoking again.

i love the cable organization by the way, muy bien!

The framing is 2x4 lumber bolted and glued together and secured to the wall studs with 5 1/2” lag bolts. It’s pretty sturdy but the bottom shelf is 16” deep (because I initially planned on putting my CC and bookshelf speakers on it). I’ve tested it with three 20 lb weights where the speakers would have lived and it held fine.

Still, I may shorten the shelf depth later if only to tame the diffraction (and because the 16” depth looks a little too deep).

its awesome dude.

wall studs - asians only use thumbtacks and 3m hooks. i really wish i was more capable with home stuff.

very inspiring towen

Back