• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

New receiver?

bmwuk

I posted on the calibration and setup on the disappointment of my old receiver so I'm thinking I might need a new one. Any thoughts on a decent receiver to drive my system. UHD pass through , banana plug terminals. For growth preouts would be nice but not necessary. Not trying to bust a big bank

I have two Yamaha receivers that I have been really happy with. I also have a Denon model that was one down from the top of the line AVR and that Denon has had HDMI issues. The Denon had the better user interface and more bells and whistles but it was so finicky. The Yamahas on the other hand have been rock solid and no issues whatsoever. Just my $0.02.

I have had Yamaha in the past and like them, but once I got an Onkyo with Audyssey MultEQ XT32 room correction, I found out how good my room could sound.

Another vote/fan/owner for Yamaha. 7-year old RXV-765 used a couple times a day, and 37-year-old Integrated Amp used several times a day for the first 30 years, and still works fine.

Are all their receivers factory refurbished? I like the pricing just not sure on support from them

I've bought a lot of receivers from them over the years for myself and others. The service is great and the only receiver that failed was an Onkyo that was part of that recall (I never bothered to send it in). I currently have a Yamaha from them in my family room and a Marantz SR-6010 in the living room. They are an official dealer for all the brands they sell.

Yup, they're refurbs. One of my Yamaha receivers is from them. My opinion is stay away from Onkyo.

I agree. One of mine had to be repaired, one got recalled, one failed out of warranty, one is still fine. I'm pretty much done with Onkyo.

I agree. One of mine had to be repaired, one got recalled, one failed out of warranty, one is still fine. I'm pretty much done with Onkyo.

I had an Onkyo pre/pro that needed repairs and its acting up again. I think Heeman had a problem with an Onkyo receiver as well. I too would avoid Onkyo if there are similar options.

You guys must be doing something wrong. My Integra is 9 years old and has never even hiccupped.

I've used Integra and Onkyo products for myself and others without issue as well. However, I do think they get warmer than other brands such as Yamaha and are therefore require better ventilation than other brands.

Given the hook-up we have for Marantz around here, I would (and will) definitely go that way.

John

My Onkyo issues were all related to the recall due to connector contamination issues and overheating of the HDMI board. Was in the shop twice, covered by warranty and is fine ever since. It has been in our Living Room and is used many hours each day. Seems to be okay.

I was a Yamaha fan for many years and if the Onkyo needed to be replaced, I would consider Yamaha and assesories4less.

Best of luck and have fun looking for that new toy!

I had an Onkyo receiver in my main system for ten years. Two years in, I had to get it fixed, because the front display stopped working and I had a dead HDMI port. Both were fixed by a local Onkyo Certified repair shop for about $100 and I used it for another 7 years without issue. The comment regarding heat is accurate though. That thing got hot enough to cook eggs, even in well ventilated cabinet designed specifically for home theater gear. My Marantz receiver and power amp do not get nearly as hot, nor does the Yamaha in my basement.

The second Onkyo that died suffered from the issue with the HDMI board. The recall did not happen until after I replaced the receiver and I didn't see the point in paying the shipping costs to fix a receiver I no longer needed.

The third Onkyo a lower-end unit that I put in my daughter's bedroom. It saw light, occasional use for a couple of years and then the center and surround channels just stopped working.

My brother had an Onkyo or Integra, I cant remember which, fail.

I had a Marantz arrive DOA.

However I have had really good luck for a long time with Marantz.

My original receiver was a Yamaha and it worked fine. I just bought a refurbished Pioneer Elite for its pre-outs. I will let you all know what I decide

Back