• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

New update from DirecTV

Huey

Famous
My sat box updated this morning, and it is a completely different look to the guide and the menu. I didn't have time to fool around with it, but it is a drastic difference to what it has been. I think it looks good!

I'd be interested to check it out. One of reasons for my loyalty to E* is that I preferred the guide interface over D*.

I had a chance to play around with it a bit last night.

It is primarily a cosmetic change which I like, much "more modern, sleeker" looking than the old UI. All function menus are the same.

They do have a "Programs you might like" feature when you press "menu" but kinda useless IMO, only gives 4 suggestions and I have no idea what they base the suggestions on.

If you watch a lot of PPV thru DTV (which I don't) there are some features you might like.

The search function is a bit enahnced.

The good thing is they didn't really screw anything up which can happen when they do these changes.

On another note DTV is offering for "loyal customers" ( I think 5+ years) the latest HD DVR, which is normally $199, for only $99. My HD DVR is a few years old so I ordered one last night.

mzpro5 said:

It is primarily a cosmetic change which I like, much "more modern, sleeker" looking than the old UI. All function menus are the same.

They do have a "Programs you might like" feature when you press "menu" but kinda useless IMO, only gives 4 suggestions and I have no idea what they base the suggestions on.

If you watch a lot of PPV thru DTV (which I don't) there are some features you might like.

The search function is a bit enahnced.

The good thing is they didn't really screw anything up which can happen when they do these changes.

On another note DTV is offering for "loyal customers" ( I think 5+ years) the latest HD DVR, which is normally $199, for only $99. My HD DVR is a few years old so I ordered one last night.

Do I understand this right ? To have D* HD-DVR, you pay them $199 & pay $5 a month for rental ? What happens when you cancel service ? You have to return the HD-DVR, right ? Do they give you the $199 back ?

Barney said:
Do I understand this right ? To have D* HD-DVR, you pay them $199 & pay $5 a month for rental ? What happens when you cancel service ? You have to return the HD-DVR, right ? Do they give you the $199 back ?

If you ask they waive the monthly fee. I have never paid the monthly fee, when they started to do that I called and bitched and they dropped it for me.

But yeah you pay for the box and you have to return it if/when you discontinue service and they don't give a refund. I talked with a friend that has TW last night and they are starting to charge for STB also.

But I CANNOT get OTA, have tried numerous times with numerous antenna's, and in my experience, from the options I have, DTV is the best. No ATT Uverse in this area either.

It is a bit of a racket but I really have few other options.

What a rip-off. And they want you to pay Ins everymonth to cover the costs of repair if THEIR STB breaks....... :scared-eek:

mzpro5 said:

Jeff, is it the new hd dvr or the new hmc? Our box is 4 or 5 years old, and is getting really sluggish, and sometimes just plain non responsive to remote commands. That, and it would be nice to watch some free 3d programming, although I think it would require me to purchase a convertor for around $100.

Huey said:
mzpro5 said:

Jeff, is it the new hd dvr or the new hmc? Our box is 4 or 5 years old, and is getting really sluggish, and sometimes just plain non responsive to remote commands. That, and it would be nice to watch some free 3d programming, although I think it would require me to purchase a convertor for around $100.

Not sure what you mean by hmc. If you mean their "whole home" setup I am getting that next week at Mom's but not at my place I only have one TV at my place.

I am just replacing my current hd dvr but it is 3d capable. I was also noticing a bit of sluggishness which is why when seeing the $100 off I jumped on it.

With my bundle package my insurance and rental fees are pretty much covered. Yeah Barney paying for the box sucks but I've seen Uverse at Towens and hated the extreme compression. My folks have Dish and I just hate the channel lineup and they charge extra for most of the channels that Directv gives me in their basic package and no way will I go back to cable. Been a loyal directv customer for 11 years now and have yet to bitch about price, issues or customer service oh and if you quit directv what's the big deal with returning gear it does you no good at that point and after all the upgrades of boxes never once have they asked me to return any of them normally because they are too old.

Btw since I have insurance I just call em tell them my hd-DVR is acting funny and they'll send me a new one at no cost and if they ask for the old one I'd just ship it to them even though it works their IT department is not going to waste one minute on a DVR that is five years old. They'd just open the box and toss it. So new DVR at no cost with insurance.

MatthewB said:
Btw since I have insurance I just call em tell them my hd-DVR is acting funny and they'll send me a new one at no cost and if they ask for the old one I'd just ship it to them even though it works their IT department is not going to waste one minute on a DVR that is five years old. They'd just open the box and toss it. So new DVR at no cost with insurance.

Yeah, but they are (as others) bad about renewing your contract if you make ANY kind of changes. So, if your DVR shits itself after having it for a year and 11 months, guess what...a new 2 year contract will start when you get the replacement unit.

Yesfan70 said:
MatthewB said:

Yeah, but they are (as others) bad about renewing your contract if you make ANY kind of changes. So, if your DVR shits itself after having it for a year and 11 months, guess what...a new 2 year contract will start when you get the replacement unit.

DTV doesn't do that. I had a service guy out here lst year and no extension on the contract.

Now with the new DVR I did have to but no big deal as I have no intention of changing providers after 12 years.

While I love the new look, it really doesn't do much in the way of improved functionality. Certain functions seem slower than before, although other actions seem to move slightly more quickly. I'm glad they did the update, I just think my box is showing its age.

The other thing that I noticed, and it just may be me, but the space left seems to decrease more rapidly after the update. We went from 20% to 3% overnight, with what I would call minimal recordings. Not sure if that means the new update occupies more hard drive space, or it figures the remaining space left incorrectly.

Anyone else getting 2 channel only output from their DTV receiver? I noticed it the other night, but thought it might because it was an older show on tbs, but it is that way with every channel. Tried a bluray, and that played as should, but when switching back to DTV, my yamaha only shows a stereo signal on every channel. Doing a manual reset to see if that helps.

Huey said:
Anyone else getting 2 channel only output from their DTV receiver? I noticed it the other night, but thought it might because it was an older show on tbs, but it is that way with every channel. Tried a bluray, and that played as should, but when switching back to DTV, my yamaha only shows a stereo signal on every channel. Doing a manual reset to see if that helps.

I know this is a stupid question but you did check the settings after the update didn't you?

Back