• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Now Google Play is adding HDR content options

Didn't I read that Q2 saw the highest rate of paid TV (non OTT) subscriber loss ever?

Every time I read an article like that I tell myself that it's almost time for me to cut the cord too.

I pay (and I get a pretty healthy discount) way too much for TV considering how much we actually watch it. If I can figure out a reliable way to get a high quality OTA signal to two TVs I'd do it. But I've had no luck with antennas inside. I'll need a large one outside that I can afford to mount (I'll need a mini tower) and that the HOA will approve of. I'm aware of the laws regarding HOAs and antennas but it's not worth the hassle.

I'd give you either of my antennas. They are designed for last mount, but I put them in my attic.

I no longer watch live tv except at sports bars or using live video on Facebook or YouTube. Sometimes Fox or CBS will show live tv over their apps, like for the superbowl or world cup matches.

I'd give you either of my antennas. They are designed for last mount, but I put them in my attic.

I've tried two large antennas inside the attic of my two story house but have never been able to get a reliable signal on all four major affiliates at the same time. I like to watch the local news and my wife's one vice is an addiction to a soap opera that she records daily and watches when she comes home.

I've tried two large antennas inside the attic of my two story house but have never been able to get a reliable signal on all four major affiliates at the same time. I like to watch the local news and my wife's one vice is an addiction to a soap opera that she records daily and watches when she comes home.

Have you checked to see if that soap is on either Hulu or CBS All Access? You can get a huge chunk of basic cable and broadcast content from those two services alone. I know Hulu offers an ad-free version and I think CBS All Access may as well.

If you can get an antenna that works, there are lots of great OTA DVR options. The Tablo I use is pretty basic and user friendly with the added perk of working with mobile devices. There are some trade-offs, such as only having 2.0 channel audio, that have me considering other options. The new Plex DVR is very appealing, because the content gets recorded directly to a NAS. That opens the door to some pretty decent software that can strip out the ads and transcode the recorded files to high quality h264 mkv or mp4. Some of the newer TiVo boxes come with lifetime service at a more reasonable price than years past and Channel Master makes a decent, basic standalone unit.

If you operate under the theory that anything broadcast over the open air is fair game, there are other ways to get that content that are less subject to weather and antenna issues. The only downside is that they do not work for live TV or things like local news.

Back