• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Office / Bedroom Sound Deadening...?

The DirtMerchant

Famous
So my office, in which I work and take conference calls, and have a gaming PC so my son uses regularly...and is on Discord/Game Chats is adjacent to my bedroom.
My son yelling about Fortnite or Rust or Valorant or Discord while we're trying to watch TV is...moderately bothersome.
What can I do to deal with the sound coming through the walls? They are sheetrock walls and I'm guessing there is little to no insulation between.

I'd prefer not punching any holes...but...what are my options?

soundproof his desk station area? not my area of expertise, but just a thought.

also avoid the conversation that its really loud and annoys you, he might or can say the same thing about you two if ever.

I searched around a bit and "rock wool" insulation comes up.
Has anyone tried this stuff?
Or the spray foam, how effective is it?

I believe from the attic, the studs and interior walls are not capped...so they are open and I can drop/spray insulation in.
Wondering if its worthwhile...

As compared to adding a layer of sheetrock...which of those would do more? I'm thinking insulation.

I believe from the attic, the studs and interior walls are not capped...so they are open and I can drop/spray insulation in.

That would be extremely unusual.
Regardless ... be very careful when dropping Or spraying material into an existing wall cavity. There are pipes and wiring which are not designed to support weight. Also ,,, as loose insulation material fills the void it will exert an outward pressure on the drywall panels as it accumulates. It’s possible that the drywall panels bow outward and crack the joint-compound between panels.

I searched around a bit and "rock wool" insulation comes up.
Has anyone tried this stuff?
Or the spray foam, how effective is it?

As compared to adding a layer of sheetrock...which of those would do more? I'm thinking insulation.

Rock Wool works well, have tons of it in the walls and bass traps in my HT.

001.JPG

That would be extremely unusual.
Regardless ... be very careful when dropping Or spraying material into an existing wall cavity. There are pipes and wiring which are not designed to support weight. Also ,,, as loose insulation material fills the void it will exert an outward pressure on the drywall panels as it accumulates. It’s possible that the drywall panels bow outward and crack the joint-compound between panels.
Great...

Leaks or gaps can allow for sound to move from room to room. including vents. there is a resilient mount for the dry wall to isolate the dry wall from the studs to prevent vibration. there is also a type of drywall for noise deadening. rearrange the room to move his desk to the farthest wall away from you joining wall

There are inexpensive things to try, but if they don’t work the cumulative solution could prove costly....I’d try arranging a new schedule first to avoid gaming during TV viewing.

As far as alterations to the home, I think the best bang for the buck would be Green Glue and another layer of drywall on the problem wall and find a better seal for the door also.

Back