• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Oh, Man..Give it a Rest, Guys!!!!

MakeMineVinyl

http://www.soundandvision.com/conte...rowdfunding-goal-new-vinyl-recording-platform

A "new" process from Sillycon Valley which "removes ticks and pops" from LPs.......

Guys, its called KEEP YOUR RECORDS CLEAN IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!!!

Never mind that tick and pop removal devices were common in the 1970s.

Especially with new vinyl, surface noise is very much less an issue than in the time when LPs were the mainstream.

I find the "EQ for 1950s and 1960s LPs" especially humorous - if anything, recordings from this era do NOT need any additional EQ since they were usually recorded with very natural miking and techniques (especially from the 50s). I would argue that recordings from the 90s till now need the EQ to un-do all the crap processing which takes place.

I need a stiff drink. :chuggingbeer:

"I love the sound of vinyl after it is digitally processed to sound more like a CD." Is that it?

I still use an SAE 5000 Impulse Noise Reduction System. All analogue - dating from the mid-'70s. Works very well - as long as you use it in moderation (ie. take care setting the controls / trigger point - which is pretty easy to do since it has an "invert" button to allow you to hear only what's being removed.)

There were a few other similar devices available around then. Burwen and Garrard come to mind.

Jeff

I have looked a little for cleaning supplies like the Discwasher brushes and have not seen any. Guess is that todays market has not found this yet. Climate control and proper storage also help. Just like storage of the Tapes. So the old 3 3/4 master cassette recordings are in the process of being transferred off to digital.

I have looked a little for cleaning supplies like the Discwasher brushes and have not seen any. Guess is that todays market has not found this yet. Climate control and proper storage also help. Just like storage of the Tapes. So the old 3 3/4 master cassette recordings are in the process of being transferred off to digital.

Amazon has hundreds of l.p. cleaners and stylus cleaners, including that old ubiquitous discwasher kit. I just received that kit, new, from amazon.

If you keep your vinyl in a clean environment, always return albums to their sleeve after playing, and have a cover over your turntable to keep dust off while playing, you should never have to clean them.

I do not even own any type of liquid cleaning stuff, and only use a static brush to clean the sides immediately before play.

This one: https://www.musicdirect.com/analog-accessories/acoustech-big-record-brush

I would only use a liquid disc cleaner on vinyl which has been abused and which is known to be dirty, and only as a last resort. It is kind of stylish these days to have elaborate wet cleaning machines to "clean" records even though they probably don't need it.

As an example, when I was tasked to re-master the music for the "Exorcist" in 2000, some of the music was only available on vinyl which Warner Brothers had in their vault, and which they used for the original 1972 release (the master tapes were long gone). I thought I'd really clean up the discs and took them to a guy with a super-duper audiophile wet disc cleaner. The result was that the surface noise was made worse by the cleaning. In the end I spent hours manually tick editing the files in ProTools to remove every last noise using the pencil tool to re-draw over the ticks and pops.

Last edited:
http://www.soundandvision.com/conte...rowdfunding-goal-new-vinyl-recording-platform

A "new" process from Sillycon Valley which "removes ticks and pops" from LPs.......

Guys, its called KEEP YOUR RECORDS CLEAN IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!!!

Never mind that tick and pop removal devices were common in the 1970s.

Especially with new vinyl, surface noise is very much less an issue than in the time when LPs were the mainstream.

I find the "EQ for 1950s and 1960s LPs" especially humorous - if anything, recordings from this era do NOT need any additional EQ since they were usually recorded with very natural miking and techniques (especially from the 50s). I would argue that recordings from the 90s till now need the EQ to un-do all the crap processing which takes place.

I need a stiff drink. :chuggingbeer:
I agree. My best sounding LP's are my father's from the 50's and early 60's.

As for the clicks and pops they don't exist on my well cared for records.

I used to own a mobile disco rental business way back in the nineties and i own a few hundred disco music vinyls. Pops and ticks have been my problem always. I even had them cleaned by a record store but the problem persisted. Most of them have become classics and could fetch quite a sum but because of the noise it might not be.

Amazon has hundreds of l.p. cleaners and stylus cleaners, including that old ubiquitous discwasher kit. I just received that kit, new, from amazon.
I bought a couple of products when I resererected my vinyl collection. Work great. The occasional snap and crackle add a bit of character. As long as it's occasionally and none of the infamous skipping in the ever ending repeat of the groove.

Back