• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Onkyo TX NR708 Video Pass Thru Question

heeman

PRETTY HAPPY.........
Famous
Guys, I need some help here.

As you know I recently purchased a Samsung Plasma.

I am having trouble with passing the Video Signal through the Onkyo when it is turned off. I do have all the settings correct, I think, per the Onkyo's Manual.

The Samsung has a feature called Anynet + (HDMI-CEC) which alows me to control the volume of the Onkyo with my DirecTV Remote.

One other note......

If I am watching/listening throught the receiver with it on and turn it off (while the TV is on) I will get a picture and sound from the TV for about 30 seconds, then the Onkyo clicks and the picture and sound on the TV shows no signal, this click takes place when the Onkyo is OFF.

When I turn the Onkyo back on it is on the TV/CD setting.

How can I get the HDMI Signal to Pass through the Onkyo when it is off?

Thanks for your help!

If I understand what you're trying to do, I don't think the receiver is designed to pass signals thru when turned off. If that's correct, you might try routing the HDMI directly to the TV instead of going thru the receiver, and using optical to send audio to the receiver.

The Onkyo does have that feature and worked fine with my Panasonic.

It is probably some software glitch that I may have to live with.

I will try additional things over the long weekend and report status.

I'm guessing a handshake issue. Power all of the components off including the TV and cable box. Then turn on the TV, then cable box, then Onkyo. Then turn off the Onkyo. See if that helps.

I have handshake issues about once every 3 months when using my Denon's pass-through functionality.

One more thing to note...not sure how it is on the Onkyo, but on my Denon there are two options for the input on the pass-through. You can set it to always pass-through a particular input or you can set it to pass-through the input that was selected as the active input when the receiver is turned off. Take a look at that setting too. I leave mine locked on the cable box input.

I thought the pass thru function was just for no resolution conversion & didn't know it worked when the receiver was turned off, since I never use it that way. I stand corrected. Andy's probably right about the handshake.

I have an Onkyo TXNR809 and a Samsung UN55-C8000 LCD set.

I have my Bluray, Xbox. DVD, DirecTv, DVD player all connected to the Onkyo via HDMI.

I have the Onkyo set for passthrough and the ANYNET crap on the TV turned OFF. I use my Harmony ONE to control all my devices.

I have not experienced any of the issues you describe.

I know if you are trying to use the ARC from the Samsung back to the Onkyo you have to use HDMI input 2 on the TV.

D

Doghart said:
I have an Onkyo TXNR809 and a Samsung UN55-C8000 LCD set.

I have my Bluray, Xbox. DVD, DirecTv, DVD player all connected to the Onkyo via HDMI.

I have the Onkyo set for passthrough and the ANYNET crap on the TV turned OFF. I use my Harmony ONE to control all my devices.

I have not experienced any of the issues you describe.

I know if you are trying to use the ARC from the Samsung back to the Onkyo you have to use HDMI input 2 on the TV.

D

Thanks D, that did the trick..........passing thru now with no issues with the Onkyo off!

Happy Turkey Day!

Doghart beat me to it...

AnyNet CEC is a PITA and almost always causes more problem than it fixes unless all of the gear if from the same manufacturer. Glad you got it working.

Just curious, but why would you guys who use your setups this way would want the TV on, but the system off? Even if I'm just watching the news, I've always used my HT for the audio. If it's other family members and/or close by neighbors that might be bothered, I just turned my sub off.

It is mostly when the wife is watching during the day. Most of the time when I am watching the complete system is on.

heeman said:
It is mostly when the wife is watching during the day. Most of the time when I am watching the complete system is on.

Same here, or when wife/daughter are napping.

D

Oh wow.. kind of a side bar, but I didn't realize you can pass through a signal with the unit turned off.
Is there some specific feature to look for when I get my next receiver? Or is it always there?

TKoP said:
Oh wow.. kind of a side bar, but I didn't realize you can pass through a signal with the unit turned off.
Is there some specific feature to look for when I get my next receiver? Or is it always there?

It is standard on this and other models. The instruction manual shows how to set it up. It needs to be done at the receiver by pushing buttons simultainiously.

Yamaha receivers allow this to but it is NOT a given. Check the specs for HDMI pass-through (the Yamaha also does HDMI switching while it's off; I'm not sure about the Onkyo). As for Yesfan's question about why use this, I have an odd answer: My Yamaha outputs to both HDMI ports when it's off. I use the 2nd output to my bedroom TV and that's where the video signal from that TV comes from.

John

Back