• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Onkyo TX Sr 508 sub preout is silent.

mcad64

I noticed while listening to the squeezebox that I was not hearing any base. Tried a different sub, tried different subwoofer cable...nothing...zilch...nada. Tried checking levels in setup. Cycles through the various speakers and I hear the white noise, but nothing from the sub. Is there something else I can try to troubleshoot the problem? Am I missing something obvious or has my subwoofer preout gone belly up??
Thanks
Mike

The only other things I could think of, would be to make sure that for some reason the sub didn't get disabled at the receiver, or that some how your speakers got sent to large or something similar, so that only the lowest of frequencies are going to the sub. You could try plugging the sub cord into one of the speaker pre outs to see if it is the pre out as well. Be careful not to blow your sub. Hope you find the cause of the problem, Mike.

Just spitballing here so please don't take offense ...

Is there power to the sub?

Retested both subs and I think that my source material just did not have enough bass!! :oops: Tried a track I knew had obvious bass, had my little Paradigm PDR8 sitting on top of my Axiom EP350. Switched the cable from one sub to the other and it was obvious to me and my 10 year old son that nothing was coming out of the little Paradigm whereas the Axiom was thumping away. I think the Paradigm has bitten the dust!! It is somewhere around 13 years old.

Hello, my name is Tom. Thanks for calling PSA. How may I help you?

Hello, Tom, my name is Mike.

Zing said:

Funny man!! Actually the Axiom will do fine upstairs in the living room 5.1 system. But thanks for trying to empty my pockets asshole!! :eek:bscene-buttred:

mcad64 said:
Zing said:

Funny man!! Actually the Axiom will do fine upstairs in the living room 5.1 system. But thanks for trying to empty my pockets asshole!! :eek:bscene-buttred:

Wow, that was kind of a harsh reaction to a friend who was just trying to help enable you. :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Are you sure you setup your system properly? Like... adjusted for all the bass management stuff?

- Is the squeezebox connected via digital or analog stereo cables?
- Did you set the main stereo speakers to "small" in the receiver setup and set a crossover frequency on them?

Flint said:
Are you sure you setup your system properly? Like... adjusted for all the bass management stuff?

- Is the squeezebox connected via digital or analog stereo cables?
- Did you set the main stereo speakers to "small" in the receiver setup and set a crossover frequency on them?

The system has been unchanged for at least 3 years. I assume if it was working before and now it is not that it was the sub. I am going to try the little Paradigm upstairs in a 5.1 system I have in a rumpus room just for the fun of it.

Perhaps an internal fuse. Always worth popping the amp plate off and checking.

Popped the fuse out and while the wire coil(whatever its technical name is) is not completely broken it has a brown spot where it is worn. I suspect that is the problem and even if it isn't how much could a fuse cost. Where does one source a fuse for an old amp? Will any old fuse do as long as it is the right amperage? It appears to my failing eyes to say 1-1/2 A 250 V 313. Does that make any sense? Remember, I am in Canada.
Thanks,
Mike
PS: So does this mean I am looking for a 1.5 amp 250 Volt fuse? Is that correct?

Batman said:
Are there Radio Shacks up in Canada?

Used to have them. Now it is the Source by Circuit City. But I think you have pointed me in the right direction Bats!! Thanks!!

A local auto parts/electrical supply company had the fuse I needed so I plunked down my cold hard $2.10 and lo and behold the little PDR 10 is thumping again. Of course the pessimist in me wonders, "what caused the fuse to burn out in the first place?". Was it just age (12 years) or is it a sign that something on the circuit board in the amp is going belly up?!!
Mike

First thing I check when a sub doesn't work is the fuse. I'm amazed at how many subs on Craigslist a4e sold cheap for non working when all it is a 2.00 fuse.

Back