• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Oppo's New Ultra HD BD Players - BDP-203/205

Cool. Anyone planning to upgrade? I could use a used Oppo of an earlier generation. ;)

Are HDR10 and Dolby Vision positioned to be the standard for years or are we going to start hearing about HDRxx in another year or two?

^Dynamic HDR is the next big thing. I haven't done a lot of research into it but have seen it mentioned in some AVS threads and it sounds like it might require new hardware.

One thing a lot of people like about the Oppo is that it will strip HDR but still preserve the bt.2020 color space. I understand this for televisions that support 4K but not HDR but I've read where people who have HDR-compatible projectors still want to strip it out. I have no idea why - I think HDR looks pretty damn good on my projector, maybe a touch dark, but I'm hoping the calibration this weekend will fix that.

Another thing to note - the new Oppo doesn't have any streaming apps. Right now I watch Amazon video with HDR (The Grand Tour, Mozart in the Jungle) via the Samsung UHD player since the Amazon Fire doesn't support HDR.

What's this "Dynamic HDR" you speak of? I cannot find any reference to it in the technical standards world. I did find a photo application called Dynamic Photo HDR, but no video standard for it.

Considering that the term, HDR, is an initialism for "High Dynamic Range," then this new thing would be "Dynamic High Dynamic Range." It makes me giggle a little bit.

I am curious what this is.

What's this "Dynamic HDR" you speak of? I cannot find any reference to it in the technical standards world. I did find a photo application called Dynamic Photo HDR, but no video standard for it.

Considering that the term, HDR, is an initialism for "High Dynamic Range," then this new thing would be "Dynamic High Dynamic Range." It makes me giggle a little bit.

I am curious what this is.

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1463138030

Thanks!

That's an interested way to play catch-up. I really hope they don't call it Dynamic HDR.

Another thing to note - the new Oppo doesn't have any streaming apps. Right now I watch Amazon video with HDR (The Grand Tour, Mozart in the Jungle) via the Samsung UHD player since the Amazon Fire doesn't support HDR.

The player does, however have an HDMI 2.0 input to allow you to connect a streaming box to it and not have to swap inputs.

Are HDR10 and Dolby Vision positioned to be the standard for years or are we going to start hearing about HDRxx in another year or two?

from what I gathered, these are two formats they are using for it, other sets support HDR10 while others support Dolby vision. My LG supports both formats, unfortunately, others do not.

I wonder if Sony will also be able to push a firmware update for this. I hope so after investing that much money in what I hoped was at least somewhat future-proof for the next few years.

I really hope they don't call it Dynamic HDR.

That decision was made by the Department of Redundancy Department, and can't be changed.

from what I gathered, these are two formats they are using for it, other sets support HDR10 while others support Dolby vision. My LG supports both formats, unfortunately, others do not.

I don't think that's the question. The question is will there be newer versions of those HDR technologies coming soon.
Will HRD 10 be replaced by HDR 10.1?
Will Dolby Vision be replaced by Dolby Vision 2?

I don't think that's the question. The question is will there be newer versions of those HDR technologies coming soon.
Will HRD 10 be replaced by HDR 10.1?
Will Dolby Vision be replaced by Dolby Vision 2?

my bad, i was in a rush working today, thus my answer.

Back