• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Outlaw 975 Add On

I like the idea, but it feel to me like a stop-gap from a proper upgrade.

I still believe the way we connect everything to a receiver/preamp as the hub of a system has become completely outdated and is based on an anachronistic practice which once made perfect sense. Basically, this hobby has us all stuck in the past. I honestly believe all source components should run through the TV as the main hub for source connectivity and the preamp should be little more than an audio processor with a single input from the TV. It would vastly simplify the entire process of operating a home system and fit the way we typically use our systems. The only new concept needed is the ability to put the TV screen to sleep quickly when playing from an audio only device.

I still believe the way we connect everything to a receiver/preamp as the hub of a system has become completely outdated and is based on an anachronistic practice which once made perfect sense. Basically, this hobby has us all stuck in the past. I honestly believe all source components should run through the TV as the main hub for source connectivity and the preamp should be little more than an audio processor with a single input from the TV. It would vastly simplify the entire process of operating a home system and fit the way we typically use our systems. The only new concept needed is the ability to put the TV screen to sleep quickly when playing from an audio only device.

I don’t disagree with the principle but I have experienced that different input components may require different “lip sync” settings for the audio out. For example I have all of my source components connected to the TV via HDMI and a single optical output to my powered sound-bar. If I set the TV’s “lip-sync” setting to properly match the audio/video from the Roku, it’s wrong for the Xbox and Blu-ray player. I use the other components only rarely so it’s just something I live with, but it is a minor annoyance.

There is a reason I always upgrade my receiver when I upgrade my display, assuming the standard is changing.

I don’t disagree with the principle but I have experienced that different input components may require different “lip sync” settings for the audio out. For example I have all of my source components connected to the TV via HDMI and a single optical output to my powered sound-bar. If I set the TV’s “lip-sync” setting to properly match the audio/video from the Roku, it’s wrong for the Xbox and Blu-ray player. I use the other components only rarely so it’s just something I live with, but it is a minor annoyance.

It's funny, but I've never experienced a lip sync issue in my HT. So, this never occurs as a problem to me.

Don't source components have lip sync settings? I seem to recall it being a menu item on one of mine.

It's funny, but I've never experienced a lip sync issue in my HT. So, this never occurs as a problem to me.

Don't source components have lip sync settings? I seem to recall it being a menu item on one of mine.

I’m fairly certain that some do. The Roku doesn’t. It only has an option of selecting audio formats. To be honest, I haven’t bothered to look for it on the BD player or Xbox.

I can't imagine running all of my source components to a projector.

Almost as difficult to imagine with a TV/monitor insofar as the it is normally front and centre (and literally the focus of the room), whereas all of the components can be more easily shunted off to the side and more or less out of sight - and have but a single cable bringing video to the TV.

Nope, I think you're arguing that the cart should be before the horse Flint.

Jeff

I can't imagine running all of my source components to a projector.

Almost as difficult to imagine with a TV/monitor insofar as the it is normally front and centre (and literally the focus of the room), whereas all of the components can be more easily shunted off to the side and more or less out of sight - and have but a single cable bringing video to the TV.

Nope, I think you're arguing that the cart should be before the horse Flint.

Jeff

I think you are a victim of the past and cannot envision anything new or different than the way it has been done your entire life. The best way to guarantee things never improve is to say, "that's not the way we have done things."

I think that running everything through a TV or projector is not a good idea too. A preamp-processor is just that; it processes all the inputs. A TV is a display device and shoehorning it into another role is a kludge in my opinion. And no, I'm not necessarily stuck in the past, I'm just practical and do what makes the most sense with the least hassle.

Back