• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Outlaw 975

heeman

PRETTY HAPPY.........
Famous
Ordered on Friday, 9/20......have been following the Fed-X Ground Tracking and what do know, Out For Delivery this AM, one day early.

Barb called and IT'S HERE!

Can't wait to get it set-up and dialed in. The Frustration with the Onkyo 708 has been driving me crazy.

I hope that the Outlaw is all that it says it is?

More later..........

:music-rockout: :music-rockout:

I've been away from their site for so long that I didn't even know it came out. :eek: :(
Smaller and cheaper. :handgestures-thumbupright: Can't wait to hear your impression.

Reviews are pretty positive from what I've read.

It's got to be the go-to recommendation for anyone that doesn't want or need room correction or any EQ, internet connectivity or multizone video outputs.

No room correction? That seems like an odd feature to leave off the list. I guess they were just trying to keep the price right?

It didn't take long to connect/set-up and calibrate this new Pre/Pro.

The unit is small, I think good looking. The display is no frills, however the florescent blue is better than the aqua that is on the Onkyo (not that it really matters).

Connections on the back are pretty tight however no problem.

Getting used to the remote buttons and what they command is a little confusing at first, however if us guys would actually read the owners manual, it is very easy to understand and well written.

Okay, so everyone wants to know "how does it sound".................... I think is sounds fine! A bit more "clarity" then the Onkyo, however, I will be honest, how can you really tell???

The OSD for the set-up calibration is no frills and very straight forward. I will not use any up-scaling for the Video Portion, well maybe someday I will try it.

There is no cross-over freq for the LFE. There is LFE Trim. I will contact Outlaw tomorrow to discuss this with them. I have all the speakers set to small and crossed at 80Hz.

Audio Calibration Test Tone are not fixed like the Onkyo, they are dependent on where the volume is set. Therefore, where is actually reference??? Does it really matter??? I had to turn the volume down significantly to get the test tone where they were not too loud. So the Volume is set to -25 dB and I calibrated the speakers to 80 dB with the SPL. The sub at 76 dB.

I have only listened to some music at this point and we are going to watch an action BR right now.

Will keep you update.......

Towen7 said:
Reviews are pretty positive from what I've read.

It's got to be the go-to recommendation for anyone that doesn't want or need room correction or any EQ, internet connectivity or multizone video outputs.

When I first called Outlaw to speak with them about this unit, Nancy said "Let me start off by telling you what the unit does not have". Just about all of them, in fact maybe all of them, I said "I don't use that, I don't use that, I don't use that". They could have left out the AM/FM Tuner.........

Yeah. I wonder how many people use all the features of their expensive processors. The lack of any EQ is I think a deal breaker for some. Though one can add simple outboard equalizers for around $75/channel should they be so inclined.

The whole value proposition has really been on my mind lately.

We decided not to watch a movie and just watch/listen to our typical reference demo stuff.

Dark Knight - Intro and Hong Kong Scene
Despicable Me - Rocket to the Moon
Tron - Ducati Bike, Frisbee and Cycles

Then Jeff Beck Live at Ronnie Scotts - Cause we ended as lovers and Scatterbrain

We immediately noticed that the audio was not as "in your face", not as shrilly as before. More separation and detail.

With the Jeff Beck Songs what was immediately apparent was the drums in "Cause We Ended As Lovers". The drummer was using brushes instead of sticks, and the quality of the drums was never like I had heard before. The details was.....WOW.

So take it for what it is worth, just my 2 cents.

I did not plan on this purchase, however with the Onkyo on the fritz again, it was time for this move. Outlaw does have a 30 trial period, they pay for shipping back if you decide to return. You pay for shipping to you, $33.

I believe this is a keeper.

Man am I glad I came across this thread. I have been looking for a processor to replace my Onkyo 508 receiver. Problem being, my entertainment unit is not very deep. If I read those specs right this thing is only 9.5 inches deep?!! It looks bluray player size!! I will wait awhile to see if your impressions are still favourable down the road. Plus, have to see how much shipping is to Canada. Thanks heeman!!!
Mike

Nice! Glad to hear it's working out well.

Awesome!! Glad to hear you got it up and running and that you are well pleased. Welcome to the world of true separates.

John

I spoke to Nancy at Outlaw this AM about the LFE on the 975.

She explained that when there is an LFE track on the material it will get passed to the subwoofer. This is at what ever the frequency is on the LFE Track.

On my Onkyo, there is a LFE Cross-over frequency setting starting at 80 Hz and going as high as 120 Hz.

Understanding that there is no Cross-over for the LFE Channel, any frequency above 80 Hz may be more localized in the room. Therefore a cross-over setting is not deemed necessary, because all frequencies on the LFE Track will be passed to the subwoofer. I think I have this right?

All other frequencies that are below the other speakers Cross-over frequencies set points will be sent to the sub as well, which is typical of what we are used to. Once again know that this cross-over point is not a brick wall.

Your description of the LFE and cross-over are correct. Soundhound used to point out that the LFE (.1) channel did NOT have frequency limitations but was generally used for sounds below some frequency (I seem to recall 120Hz for some reason). Because this channel doesn't have an upper limit is why many manufacturers put a cross-over on it. I wouldn't sweat it at all and just enjoy the new pre/pro.

John

Back